This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trynki View Post
    It was nice to see the cylon side of the story.
    But there's one thing that doesnt really make sense to me.
    Brother Cavil resurrects the final five 10 months before the attack on the colonies, but Adama has known Tigh for years.. how can that be?

Btw did Brother Cavil kill the kid because his name was John?
    He doesn't resurrect the Final Five ten months before. It was explained at the tail end of season 4 that Cavil was the first skinjob created by the Final Five, that he helped them build the other models, and that he hated the human "weaknesses" they placed in the other models. So he trapped them in a compartment and vented the atmosphere, boxing them for a time and preventing full access to their old memories. He erased the memory of them from all the other cylon models and programmed in the code that told them not to even talk of the Final Five. Then Cavil gradually introduced each of the Final Five into Colonial society to teach them a lesson as he prepared for the destruction of humanity.

The frustrating thing for Cavil was that the Final Five members he encountered "learned nothing" according to his view. That's why he saved Ellen instead of letting her resurrect, because she hadn't learned. That's why he didn't just kill Anders.

In The Plan, we find that the experience on Caprica with Anders' group actually changed one of the Cavils - which is what happened with Boomer later on when the cynical Cavils were looking to break a tie.

Not sure why Cavil killed the kid, other than to show his true disdain for all of humanity, even the children. Cavil hated humanity - and you hear how he hated being confronted with the truth the Caprica Cavil spoke about the Final Five loving humanity even more if they were completely exterminated. That's why Cavil killed #7, Daniel, as well. He was jealous, craving the Five's attention and affection all the while denying he was truly needy and petty. His narcissism was just a shield for his selfish need to be loved and the insecurity he had in his own worth.

Comment

I was hoping that maybe the Plan would shed more light on the Cylons' motives but it was really only Cavil's,and only during the first 2 seasons which we essentially already knew. The Cylons did a lot of baffling nonsense in the 3rd and 4th seasons as well, but I guess the only thing we're left with to conclude from the moive is that the Cylons just did not understand humanity, just like Cavil.
      Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 12 February 2012, 10:31 AM.
      "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

What baffling nonsense? Everything about their motivations was explained in the tail half of Season 4.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

What was their reasoning behind the conquest of New Caprica? The implication was they wanted to show the humans they could be benevolent now, but their actions remained constantly abusive.

And after that they seemed intent on pursing the humans to Earth. Why? What interest did they have in Earth, of all worlds? D'anna says they wanted Earth to be their new home, but what was wrong with whatever world retreated to after the First Cylon War? If they were interested in coexisted with humans why did they continue to hound them across the universe? If they weren't interested in peace, why did they even abandon the 12 Colonies then? Half the time they seemed to want peace with humans and half the time they wanted to finish exterminating them.
          "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
            What was their reasoning behind the conquest of New Caprica? The implication was they wanted to show the humans they could be benevolent now, but their actions remained constantly abusive.
            It wasn't conquest, it an attempt at 'living in peace' after the events of Downloaded which was in no small part derailed by Cavil and those aligned to his way of thinking (or even just persuaded by it).

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
            And after that they seemed intent on pursing the humans to Earth. Why? What interest did they have in Earth, of all worlds? D'anna says they wanted Earth to be their new home, but what was wrong with whatever world retreated to after the First Cylon War? If they were interested in coexisted with humans why did they continue to hound them across the universe? If they weren't interested in peace, why did they even abandon the 12 Colonies then? Half the time they seemed to want peace with humans and half the time they wanted to finish exterminating them.
            They weren't interested in Earth. Those loyal to or manipulated by Cavil (read as: most of them up until the split) were only pursuing his goals. Which were, secretly, the extermination of humanity to make a point to Ellen and Saul. As described IN DETAIL in No Exit, and somewhat elaborated on/portrayed at the beginning of The Plan.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

"Conquest" is the only word for it. The humans on the planet were subjugated to a Cylon authority and the occupation began with the President of the Colonies being forced to surrender to an invading fleet of baseships.

Cavil may be the architect of the human genocide and the state of Cylon society but he obviously doesn't call all the shots. Otherwise the Cylons would never had even tried to live in peace. And a great deal of the Cylons' actions were things he wouldn't have approved of, even if they were evil too. He didn't believe in the God that the rest of the Cylons worshiped, but they did so anyway despite his disapproval. He didn't approve of Leoben's obsession with Kara Thrace but he still was allowed to kidnap and torment her to his heart's content. He clearly would have preferred the Cylons to wipe out the population of New Caprica but the Cylons still continued to opt for "trying to be benevolent" by oppressively ruling over them.

How is Cavril's way of thinking responsible for the failure of the occupation of New Caprica when the reasons they failed were things he wouldn't have approved of? For example, when Doral forced Baltar to sign the order to execute people at gun point. Cavil even seemed to mock him for doing this, so he didn't seem to be one of Cavil's ideological cronies but it's that sort of dissonance that makes the Cylons' behavior so baffling. Even the Cylons that suggested the truce in the first place and turned on Cavil during the split seemed to think they were doing the right thing throughout the entire occupation.

I got the impression that D'Anna, if anyone, was the one who seemed to be calling the shots of that whole debacle. And speaking of D'Anna, she was the one who first told Baltar that they wanted Earth to be their new home. She was boxed before the split. Turned on Cavil when she was reactivated and then continued his almost his exact line of thinking anyway, so I don't how he could be the sole source of all Cylon motives.

It's not like his "manipulation" was very subtle anyway. He was openly suggesting they cull the population of New Caprica to "a more manageable level."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Hey, sorry if I am bumping this topic, but I just noticed something on reviewing The Plan. There has been a long discussion regarding several Galactica class vessels in the Scorpio Shipyard scene, whether they are CGI errors or not. I just noticed that during the scene Scorpia gets nuked, when the screen slides past Pegasus, and onto the planet, you can see another ship docked, Galactica type.

I know it's not one of the previously seen, since the first one is in the wrong position, and the second one got hit by two (nuclear) missiles. So is this another ship? Did anyone else notice this? I just can't get my head over it.

(Sorry if this has already been brought up once.)

Comment

*year later bump cos I finally watched it this week*
                  I especially liked Cavil's bed-Six's progress report of how much everyone had't achieved
                  Also seeing that there really were secret Cylon meetings: when Cavil told Galen that he knew Galen wasn't a Cylon because he wasn't at any of the meetings, he was actually being serious... well except for the fact that he knew Galen was on of the Final Five

One of the funniest lines was "She's beneath him." "Not necessarily."
                  "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                  Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                  Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                  Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                  Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Working...
                  X