Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Americans are so hung up on nudity...why?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Americans are so hung up on nudity...why?

I'm a 20 yo male college student in the United States (Michigan ), but my parents are from Germany and Sweden. So, in a way, I've got both American and European views and values. Growing up, nudity was NOT a big deal in my family. I mean, we're not nudists or anything, but if my brother or sister saw me naked, it wasn't a big deal...and we'd go in the Jacuzzi naked and stuff. So, what I'm saying is, it wasn't taboo or dirty or anything; just a natural thing when it happened.

I have two roommates in my college dorm. Last night, after going for a 6 mile run in chilly December weather, I took a shower. I wrapped up in a towel and came back to my dorm to get dressed, and when I got in my room, I took off my towel and was walking around doing a few things, like blow drying my hair and stuff. One of my roommate's, Matt, was in the tv room with his girlfriend, and I didn't know she was there. I walked by naked and she saw me and screamed. I mean she actually screamed. I'm not ugly or anything. I mean, I'm skinny and in good shape, so it's not like I'm fat or something. Anyway, Matt's girlfriend goes "Oh my God, Jared is naked!" Matt and his girlfriend and this other guy just stare at me. I said, "so...it's my room...sorry, I didn't know you were here." I turn around and go over by my bed and she follows me. I mean, I'm still naked and I go to put on my underwear and she's like "so, you're not embarrassed or anything?" I say, "nope..why should I be? Haven't you seen a guy naked before? Does it bother you?" She's like, "no, but I was just surprised...I mean, you're not embarrassed or afraid to be naked in front of others?" I just stare at her and say "um, why would I be? It's not like I'm some freak doing something inappropriate. This is my room and I like airing off after I towel off...sorry"

So, I put on some sweats and a t-shirt and finish my hair and then go over to my computer. This girl is still staring at me and then she comes over to me and is like "do you go around like that a lot?" I tell her that when I'm in my room, yeah, it's not a big deal and Matt and my other roommate Shawn do it too, just not as much. She keeps asking me all these questions about my family, being shy, whatever. Then she stared at me the rest of the night and it made me feel sorta shy...like, after a while, I DID become embarrassed and I'm not sure why.

What's the big deal? Did I do something wrong? Why are Americans, especially girls, so hung up on nudity? In Europe, when I'm visiting my family, I swim naked, go into saunas naked, hang out at certain beaches naked, and it's normal and NOT sexual at all. How come it's so different here? Am I just some kinda freak or something? Does anyone have any ideas or experiences like mine?

I know there's the whole Puritan tradition here, but shouldn't these out of date values have disappeared by now? I dunno...I was just really surprised by this girl's reaction. It's not like I was doing anything inappropriate, did I?

Jared

I agree with you that Americans are way too sensitive about nudity sometimes, with ofcourse the nipplegate-story we Europeans had a good laugh with knowing that we have ads containing proper nudity at any time of the day on TV.
    But your story about Europeans seems a bit odd, as I never experienced such a relaxed way of dealing with nudity. We never swim naked, our family never sees us naked or we don't see them naked and we intend it to keep it that way and if there is a movie on television with some nude of lovescene and you ain't watching it alone, you can feel yourself and all others watching with you feeling less comfortable.

Even I, and all people I know (Dutch, Belgian, Italo-Belgians, some Brits and Germans), would consider that as wrong. No one except our girlfriends will see us naked.
    It's not a religious thing since we are absolute atheists here...
    So, as a European, I must say that the experience of nudity you have, is NOT European, but rather Scandinavian, which is a slightly different culture than Germanic or Anglo-Saxic Europe.
    Even in sauna's nudity has become rare, or is permanently covered by a towel. Also soccer teams are starting to have individual showers and dressing cabins instead of the communal dressing room + showers they had earlier. It is how it is, nudity does make one feel uncomfortable, even though no religious aspects are involved in that feeling.

Comment

have you thought the staring could not be shock, but appreciation?

i think we're less hung up about here in england...we thought the nipplegate incident was waaaay blown out of proportion. but nudity isn't a general thing...it's too bloody cold here for a start. but we wouldn't walk around naked in front of strangers..well, actually we might, and it's been done, but only for charity..and protests...and calendars...okay!!! The English will use any excuse to rip their clothes off, especially if it's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey. but not in front of other people's partners...that would be showing off.
      Michelle's Fanfic Here My Original Fic

Comment

Originally posted by XToDaZ
        I agree with you that Americans are way too sensitive about nudity sometimes, with ofcourse the nipplegate-story we Europeans had a good laugh with knowing that we have ads containing proper nudity at any time of the day on TV.
        But your story about Europeans seems a bit odd, as I never experienced such a relaxed way of dealing with nudity. We never swim naked, our family never sees us naked or we don't see them naked and we intend it to keep it that way and if there is a movie on television with some nude of lovescene and you ain't watching it alone, you can feel yourself and all others watching with you feeling less comfortable.

Even I, and all people I know (Dutch, Belgian, Italo-Belgians, some Brits and Germans), would consider that as wrong. No one except our girlfriends will see us naked.
        It's not a religious thing since we are absolute atheists here...
        So, as a European, I must say that the experience of nudity you have, is NOT European, but rather Scandinavian, which is a slightly different culture than Germanic or Anglo-Saxic Europe.
        Even in sauna's nudity has become rare, or is permanently covered by a towel. Also soccer teams are starting to have individual showers and dressing cabins instead of the communal dressing room + showers they had earlier. It is how it is, nudity does make one feel uncomfortable, even though no religious aspects are involved in that feeling.
        It's not like I walk around naked in front of my family -- I just mean that it's not a shameful thing and walking from the shower to my bedroom at home, while naked, is okay, and not a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by michelleb
          have you thought the staring could not be shock, but appreciation?

i think we're less hung up about here in england...we thought the nipplegate incident was waaaay blown out of proportion. but nudity isn't a general thing...it's too bloody cold here for a start. but we wouldn't walk around naked in front of strangers..well, actually we might, and it's been done, but only for charity..and protests...and calendars...okay!!! The English will use any excuse to rip their clothes off, especially if it's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey. but not in front of other people's partners...that would be showing off.
          Appreciation? hehe...I dunno, I'm too skinny, so not sure about that, but I didn't mean to show off in front of Matt's girlfriend...I really had no clue that she was there, and it caught me off guard.

Anyway, sorry if this was a weird thread...I guess it is me.

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
            Appreciation? hehe...I dunno, I'm too skinny, so not sure about that, but I didn't mean to show off in front of Matt's girlfriend...I really had no clue that she was there, and it caught me off guard.

Anyway, sorry if this was a weird thread...I guess it is me.

It's not you, it's the collective American Freak-Out about anything that might be remotely connected to sex.

Me, I'd have appreciated.

Comment

It's not like I walk around naked in front of my family -- I just mean that it's not a shameful thing and walking from the shower to my bedroom at home, while naked, is okay, and not a bad thing.
              Ofcourse, I'm sometimes naked as well, if I just want to be fully dry because I put my clothes on again, but I have a private shower in my room at college and I close the door and double-check it. Next year, I'll be somewhere without my own private shower but then, I'll get dress in the cabin at the shower, I don't even walk around in a towel.

I just don't want anybody else to see anything I do not like them to see. It has nothing to do with shame, but with my own body being private. Probably, I'm more shy about being skinny than about what's down there, but it's private and that's the key. I want to lock out any possibility that it's seen by anyone who I don't want it to see such as strangers, family, friends etc.

It's not bad to be naked, but to be seen naked by someone you didn't intend to see you.
              I'm more into "hide and don't go seek"

Ps : the American style dorms don't exist over here, everybody has it's own room at the dorms here and it's totally private (no control what so ever) ... more like renting a room, only smaller than usual (about 15m²)
              Here, we have a small building with 10 rooms with their own showers, 1 kitchen and 2 toilets. So being at college is a bit different that in the US.
              Also, no one will ever see anyone naked unless it's intended to be so.
              Last edited by XToDaZ; 03 December 2004, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Yeah, have to agree here.
                I can only speak for my family, but it's like in yours.
                When I'm in the bathroom and naked, because I've showered or whatever,
                it is not a problem, if my sister, father or mother comes in to tell me something, or to get the hair-dryer for example...
                But I usually don't walk around naked in front of strangers (just when it is necessary after swimming etc.), not because I'm prudish, I'm just not self-confident enough.
                But if someone else wants to walk around naked in front of me...no problem!

I'm not sure if it has something to do with being american, or being european...It's just that some people bring up their children to think of nudity not as something natural, but as something bad and to be ashamed of, because they think it has inevitably to do with sexuality, what is just wrong IMHO.

By the way, your story is too funny LordAnubis!!!

Comment

Originally posted by galaxy
                  I'm not sure if it has something to do with being american, or being european...It's just that some people bring up their children to think of nudity not as something natural, but as something bad and to be ashamed of, because they think it has inevitably to do with sexuality, what is just wrong IMHO.
                  Is it really wrong ?
                  Nudity is allways linked to sexuality, by nature. If I see a very beautiful girl, ofcourse I think about sex, it's natural and my lower body seems to agree
                  Can't help to link appearance with sexuality ... no one can by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by blingaway
                    It's not you, it's the collective American Freak-Out about anything that might be remotely connected to sex.

Bling always appreciates nudity.
                    Michelle's Fanfic Here My Original Fic

Comment

Is it really wrong ?
                      Nudity is allways linked to sexuality, by nature. If I see a very beautiful girl, ofcourse I think about sex, it's natural and my lower body seems to agree
                      Can't help to link appearance with sexuality ... no one can by the way.

Well maybe it has something to do with you being male.....

I can honestly say that I don't always link nudity with sexuality...it depends on the situation.
                      For example: A few weeks ago they've shown in TV these people, who are jogging naked and my mother and I were laughing our asses off, because it looked too funny how their penises and breasts were bobbing up and down.*LOL* (Doesn't that hurt? )

Anyway, that was just funny, but I didn't thought about sex in that moment, because it simply wasn't a sexual situation.
                      But on the other hand, watching a movie where you can't see everything, just a naked leg or whatever and it's a bedroom scene for example makes me think about sex, too, because the situation has a sexual context.

Sorry, can't explain it better in english, but I hope you understand what i mean...
                      Last edited by galaxy; 03 December 2004, 08:39 AM. Reason: nothing important

Comment

LordAnubis, I wouldn't worry about it! It's a hilariously funny story from where I'm sitting!
                        I'd go with Michelle's view, and don't let it bother you.
                        Especially as she followed you into your room...

Comment

Originally posted by blingaway

Thanks I just don't see how a naked body automatically equals something sexual. Being naked is natural and pretty harmless/innocent, like what happened to me. I was just being me getting dressed, why would that be sexual? heh...oh well, I feel better now that someone doesn't think I'm "odd" or freakish. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by galaxy
                            Yeah, have to agree here.
                            I can only speak for my family, but it's like in yours.
                            When I'm in the bathroom and naked, because I've showered or whatever,
                            it is not a problem, if my sister, father or mother comes in to tell me something, or to get the hair-dryer for example...
                            But I usually don't walk around naked in front of strangers (just when it is necessary after swimming etc.), not because I'm prudish, I'm just not self-confident enough.
                            But if someone else wants to walk around naked in front of me...no problem!

By the way, your story is too funny LordAnubis!!!
                            Thanks, Galaxy! I think my family is just cool with the concept, but no one in my family walks around naked in front of others, but like my older brother, who's 24, we used to change in front of each other, walk around, whatever and it was no big deal. No embarrassment, no fear. I'm not like some kind of exhibitionist, but I'm not shy or secretive either.

Comment

Ofcourse, I'm sometimes naked as well, if I just want to be fully dry because I put my clothes on again, but I have a private shower in my room at college and I close the door and double-check it. Next year, I'll be somewhere without my own private shower but then, I'll get dress in the cabin at the shower, I don't even walk around in a towel.

I just don't want anybody else to see anything I do not like them to see. It has nothing to do with shame, but with my own body being private. Probably, I'm more shy about being skinny than about what's down there, but it's private and that's the key. I want to lock out any possibility that it's seen by anyone who I don't want it to see such as strangers, family, friends etc.

It's not bad to be naked, but to be seen naked by someone you didn't intend to see you.
                              I'm more into "hide and don't go seek"

Ps : the American style dorms don't exist over here, everybody has it's own room at the dorms here and it's totally private (no control what so ever) ... more like renting a room, only smaller than usual (about 15m²)
                              Here, we have a small building with 10 rooms with their own showers, 1 kitchen and 2 toilets. So being at college is a bit different that in the US.
                              Also, no one will ever see anyone naked unless it's intended to be so.
                              At my school, which is now Michigan State University, in my dorm, we have one big community bathroom. One section is divided into open showers (no privacy at all - it's all open for anyone to see who walks in, which was intimidating at first) and there's a bank of sinks with mirrrors for brushing teeth, brushing your hair, whatever. The other section is private stalls and urinals.

My dorm is divided into three basic areas, all connected: a tv/living room, which has our couch, chairs, tv/dvd/vcr/cable, fridge, microwave, and closet for jackets; the other section is our bedrooms, and the third section is for our computers and school stuff. In the course of a normal day, my roommates might sleep naked, change clothes, or do whatever -- same with me, so we see each other all the time. In the showers, there's always someone walkin around naked. It's not a big deal to anyone here, unless they are super shy.

I'm not self conscious about my body even though I'm pretty skinny and look younger. I'm not a show off, but I have nothing to hide and I'm happy with what I have down there hehe. I'm just not so sure why everyone is so hung up on body parts and stuff. I don't care if someone's naked in front of me (well, depending on who she is ), cuz it's nothing sexual...that's my whole point. Nudity does not equal sex.

Comment

Working...
                              X