Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most disappointing series finale? (Spoilers for the finales of different programs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most disappointing series finale? (Spoilers for the finales of different programs)

I think it's happened to most of us.

You've invested time watching a show and cared about the characters. Maybe you've even shed a tear or two for their suffering. You tuned in every week to see the progression or try to solve the mystery.

But then, in the final episode, something happens that just leaves you with your jaw dropped or saying "What the heck did they just do!?". You may have even experienced denial flipping through the T.V. Guide (in the old days) or going on-line to search out any little hope that what you just saw was not actually it. They were kidding. There's a real series finale next week and they're just yanking your chain this week. But the credits roll, and the cheerful local newscasters cut in to tease you about the week-end weather and you're left in your own little world of sorrow or disgust or possibly even yelling at your television set.

Sound at all familiar? Well, sit down on the couch and let it all out. What, in your opinion, are the worst ever television series finales?

I'll start:

Number 4: "Soap"
    Spoiler:
    Chester has caught his wife and nephew/son in bed together and has pulled a gun. Bert is about to be ambushed by a gang wielding baseball bats. And Billy and El Puerco are madly racing to save Jessica who is standing in front of a Malaguayan firing squad. We hear "Fire!" and various gunshots and see Jessica flinch. The screen goes dark. And....that's it!! Nothing!! The show's over!

Number 3: "Thirtysomething"
    Spoiler:
    Everyone has gathered at the hospital to celebrate blonde girl's victory over breast cancer. The phone rings. Michael answers and is told that hippy-guy was run over and killed while riding his bike to the hospital. The end. (See! This one was so bad I've blocked out much of my memories of it and I can't even remember the characters' names!)

Number 2: "Quantum Leap"
    Spoiler:
    I don't even have to describe this one here, right? You all know it ends with Sam fixing Al's past so that now Al doesn't even know Sam anymore and then they slap some writing up on the screen saying that Sam is stuck leaping forever and never gets home. Well, that's just great! Thank you so much!

Number 1: "St. Elsewhere"
    Spoiler:
    You know all those people you've been watching all this time? Remember being upset, Callista, that they made your favorite character turn out to be the sadistic rapist? Remember suffering through Howie Mandel? (OK, so in this one instance, Howie wasn't so bad.) Remember all the people the doctors helped and all the angst and even a bit of humor?
    Well, guess what? It turns out the entire show has been in the imagination of the head doctor's autistic son. The head doctor is really a cab driver. And the autistic kid has a snowglobe with a little building in it that looks like the hospital and he's made the whole thing up. That's it. We appreciate all the time you've spent watching. Bye bye, now.

Ah. I feel so much better.

Star Trek...just......horribly gut wrenching....good ep I suppose..but who ever decided that would make a good finale...*shakes head*

Comment

Firefly.

*Watches entire thread go 'Awww '*
      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
      Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
        Firefly.

*Watches entire thread go 'Awww '*
        Yeah, that one was terrible too. But, not as bad as Turnabout Intruder. At least teh Firefly one was a pretty good episode.

Comment

I thought the Malcom in the Middle ending sucked.
          Spoiler:
          They all became janitors. JANITORS. HOW PATHETIC IS THAT?

Comment

Originally posted by skaaraismyman View Post
            I thought the Malcom in the Middle ending sucked.
            Spoiler:
            They all became janitors. JANITORS. HOW PATHETIC IS THAT?
            Beat the SGA ending by a mile though.
            I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic

Comment

Stargate: Atlantis - The team's greatest enemy makes it to Earth in their impenetrable warship... only to have an Earth missile pierce their armor and allow an F-302 inside to plant a nuke.

...wow.
              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                Stargate: Atlantis - The team's greatest enemy makes it to Earth in their impenetrable warship... only to have an Earth missile pierce their armor and allow an F-302 inside to plant a nuke.

...wow.
                Kinda summed up the entire series really. It didn't seem out of place to me. But then, crap tends to come in different shapes and sizes.

sigpic

Comment

Considering that was the only flaw in the episode, it was a great ending.

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
                    Considering that was the only flaw in the episode, it was a great ending.
                    There were far more flaws than that, that was just the most-glaring and insulting one.
                    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

forever knight

there was nick and natalie...and he tried to bring her across, only to kill her instead so, wracked by grief, he had LaQuoix stake him

trek voyager....dude, they spent 7 years getting home and we can't even have family reunions?

xena, although i didn't watch it, from all i hear the fans deny that the final eps even exists
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

SG! need i say more
                        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I'll second the gripe on Quantum Leap. I think I stared at my TV in disbelief for a few minutes, unable to comprehend that they could really do something that craptastic.

The thirtysomething one sounds bad, too, and makes me glad I never got into that show.

I can think of some good shocker endings (Space: Above & Beyond springs to mind) but I wouldn't call them BAD. Traumatizing, but not bad. LOL!

Now & Again's finale kicked all kinds of ass and the only reason it sucked is because it was MEANT to be concluded in S2 but the show got canceled so the cliffhanger ending was all we got.

The really sad and depressing thing is that I don't think I've seen a lot of shows all the way through so I don't think I can add a lot of examples into the mix.

Maybe Sapphire & Steel, although I think that was another case of "wasn't meant to be the last ep."

Comment

space above and beyond was the same way, canceled before its time
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              space above and beyond was the same way, canceled before its time
                              Yeah, but at least the producers were warned in enough time to change things. They're famous for "frak you" finales like that. They did something very similar in The Others (another one-season wonder) and their S2 finale of Millennium- which they THOUGHT would be the last ep ever, outdid them all by KILLING OFF THE WHOLE WORLD except for Frank Black, his daughter and all the wacky shadow organization people.

And then Chris Carter had to go in and find a way to make it all not have happened for S3. LMAO!

Comment

Working...
                              X