This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah Commodore! Welcome to the ball!

...Ok....a slightly eccentric threat title but basically what I want to know is this...the Air Force and Marines have been the primary driving force to Earth offworld...but I would love for someone to come up with a story be it for SG1 SGA or dare I say it SGU to involve the regular Navy...any thoughts?
    "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Other branches have been used, but now that the SGC is under partial civilian and international control it is more likely we'll see more non-Americans...or it would be a natural assumption but we'll likely have about 1.
    sigpic

Comment

I seem to remember seeing a few navy personnel on screen when discussing the design and construction of the battlecruisers. So perhaps many of the crew we see on the daedalus etc are navy?

Comment

I hope to see less US military personnel and more non-american military/civilian types. The Navy could become more involved when enough spaceships are built to form a fleet.

Comment

I would think that the Navy is already involved at one level or another. The United States Marine Corps is under control of the US Department of the Navy. And we have seen Marines in Stargate Episodes.

However I don't see any one that is in the Navy (Proper) to take part in Gate Operations. That is unless they plan on Colonizing a planet and having their own Navy that planet. But it has been proven that jumpers work under water so there would be no need for Naval vessels. And honestly the same would go for the Coast Guard (Some what depressed being I am a Ex-Coastie)
          Spins and turns, angles and curves, the shape of dreams half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of Earth and touch the face of perfection. A perfect face, a perfect lace, find a perfect world for the end of Kara Thrace.
          End of line.

Comment

since i'm ex-navy i always wanted to see a SEAL team go through the gate
            I had to kill Bob Morton because he made a mistake...Now its time to erase that mistake.

Comment

The Navy controlled the Stargate in Continuum after it was recovered.

Temp0ral.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bfldworker View Post
                I would think that the Navy is already involved at one level or another. The United States Marine Corps is under control of the US Department of the Navy. And we have seen Marines in Stargate Episodes.

However I don't see any one that is in the Navy (Proper) to take part in Gate Operations. That is unless they plan on Colonizing a planet and having their own Navy that planet. But it has been proven that jumpers work under water so there would be no need for Naval vessels. And honestly the same would go for the Coast Guard (Some what depressed being I am a Ex-Coastie)
                Really it all depends on how you split hairs about the definition of what the Navy should control as opposed to the Air Force. At present in our timeline the Air Forces of most nations have primary say in all forseeable operations in space. This is due to a number of reasons, but mostly because at present all we will be using in space are Satellites, Missiles and at the very edge of possibility small orbital armed drones. All of which more or less fit into the Airforces current sphere of interests.

The problem occurs when you build an actual Space faring vessel, which is arguably quite far away from anything the Airforce uses at present, and is much more akin to a submarine than to even the largest Aircraft. In my opinion the Navy should by now have asserted some control over the Space Vessels, or at the very least begun construction of their own 304s, after all they lost a Carrier Group a little while back so I can imagine they may have been a bit peeved about it. In a purely rational sense the Chief of the Navy would have wanted some Space Ships to be his responsibility simply because leaving them wholly in the hands of the Airforce would essentially leave the Navy in the literal dark ages to suffer a slow death from lack of funding.

It is possible the use of the Marines was a bargaining chip to achieve this, and somewhere down the line we'll have the Navy's first new warship unveiled. Hopefully it will be a purpose-built Battleship or Carrier which dwarfs the 304's in terms of size and firepower.
                Last edited by BwenGun; 03 March 2009, 03:43 PM.
                "They who complain, in peace, of the insolence of the populace, must remember, that their insolence in peace is bravery in war." Dr Johnson

Comment

Working...
                X