Wright's Nebula Nomination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wright's Nebula Nomination?

I do not believe that this thread has been created yet, so forgive me (and feel free to remove it) if it has...

It was announced on Joe's blog that Brad Wright received a Nebula nomination for writing SGA's The Shrine.

I'd like to kick off today’s blog entry by offering my congratulations to Executive Producer Brad Wright whose script for the Stargate: Atlantis episode “The Shrine” has been nominated for a Nebula Award. He’ll be vying for top honors alongside some very impressive contenders: Jonathan Nolan, Christopher Nolan, and David S. Goyer for The Dark Knight, and Andrew Stanton and Jim Reardon (Peter Docter and Andrew Stanton sharing story credit) for WALL-E. Some mighty impressive company. It goes without saying that the Nebula nomination is a huge honor for the show, not to mention Brad in particular who, like me, is a huge fan of literary SF.

Kudos to him! However...does anyone else feel like this is a kick in the gut a little? I'd gotten over SGA's untimely demise, despite occasionally wishing for only one more season. I thought the show had fallen low in the ratings and just wasn't performing up to network standards so it was canceled. But now, it's strong enough to compete with the Dark Knight and Wall-E?

It's awesome news really, but I can't help to think that it's bittersweet. Maybe someone higher up is now semi regretting the decision to cancel SGA, thinking what another season would have brought in award wise.

What do you think?
    sigpic

Happy Holidays!

no i dont think anyone is having regrets, its not like its gonna win or anything. The Shrine was exceptional clearly, because the rest of the season wasnt that great save for a couple of episodes. but what does dark knight have anything to do with sci fi or fantasy?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
      but what does dark knight have anything to do with sci fi or fantasy?
      What would you define it as then? "Comic book movie" isn't a genre.
      sigpic
      Banner By JME2

Comment

I'd say that Dark Knight is a fantasy movie as it's set in a fantastical world. At least I think...*checks sky outside window* whew no bat symbol. Had me worried for a moment. lol.

I'm probably the only one who did not think The Shrine was the best episode this past season. It was good though.
        sigpic

Happy Holidays!

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
          What would you define it as then? "Comic book movie" isn't a genre.
          Ug, thank you, someone who isn't freaking addicted to those lame movies...

Comment

Anyways, he probably won't, but I hope BR wins.

Comment

WOW! Stargate nominated against The Dark Knight and Wall-E?? It's gonna be like David vs 2 Goliaths!
              Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

I thought the show had fallen low in the ratings and just wasn't performing up to network standards so it was canceled. But now, it's strong enough to compete with the Dark Knight and Wall-E?
                Ratings/demographic have nothing to do with recognition of quality by the literary community.
                It's terrific to hear that he has been nominated. Stargate actors and writers really haven't gotten the recognition they deserve, in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandria7 View Post
                  I do not believe that this thread has been created yet, so forgive me (and feel free to remove it) if it has...

It was announced on Joe's blog that Brad Wright received a Nebula nomination for writing SGA's The Shrine.

Kudos to him! However...does anyone else feel like this is a kick in the gut a little? I'd gotten over SGA's untimely demise, despite occasionally wishing for only one more season. I thought the show had fallen low in the ratings and just wasn't performing up to network standards so it was canceled. But now, it's strong enough to compete with the Dark Knight and Wall-E?

It's awesome news really, but I can't help to think that it's bittersweet. Maybe someone higher up is now semi regretting the decision to cancel SGA, thinking what another season would have brought in award wise.

What do you think?

The show actually had been performing and has been going up in the ratings.

Season 3 - 1.9 Million viewers
                  Season 4 - 2.0 Million viewers
                  Season 5 - 2.1 Million viewers

Source: Nielsen Media

Brad Wright said the show could of went another season, but they felt ending the show now will make it strong for the movie market.

As per the decision to cancel SGA, it will always be regretable.

As per quality, rating and quality are subjective. It is more people's opinions about quality, However when ratings go up and not down people are liking what they are seeing. Common sense.

Oh and congrats to BW. At least we know he still wrote stong passionate eps in the end. He should of fought to keep SGA going but he knew it would of delayed SGU.
                  Last edited by Briangate78; 28 February 2009, 08:30 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

There's nothing wrong with ending on a high, and The Shrine is definitely a highpoint of the series.

Congrats to BW!

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine View Post
                      There's nothing wrong with ending on a high, and The Shrine is definitely a highpoint of the series.

Congrats to BW!
                      I think Season 5 had some of the best eps. This one is proof of that, imo. Season 5 also had some of the worst eps of the series as well, but that is a discussion for another thread.

Hey Madeleine, when did you drop the "W"?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandria7 View Post

<snip>

What do you think?
                        I think SGA would have better off if BW put the same effort in showrunning Atlantis as did with The Shrine. I do hope he wins. The Shrine was some of his best work in recent memory.

Comment

Originally posted by gange57 View Post
                          I think SGA would have better off if BW put the same effort in showrunning Atlantis as did with The Shrine. I do hope he wins. The Shrine was some of his best work in recent memory.
                          If Brad and Rob wrote more eps in the last 2 seasons we would of likely been free of eps like "Quarantine", "Whispers", "Inquisition", and "Brainstorm".
                          sigpic

Comment

Yes but they were too busy with the SG-1 movies and SGU. That gives me more hope for SGU.

Comment

I really liked 'The Shrine'. It had that sense of team, and personal drama, that I associate more with SG-1 than Atlantis.

Comment

Working...
                              X