Page 1 of 32 123411 ... LastLast

Default Talking American

As I understand it, in the Harry Potter fanfic community there are a large number of English fans who provide 'Anglicisation' hints for US writers. I was wondering if there would be some mileage in a thread in which UK (and other) writers could solicit advice on US slang from the forum's American members?

What do people think?
    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Default Re: Talking American

I think it's an excellent idea, and I'd be glad to help out.

Chief Master Sergeant tera'ngan's Avatar

Did you have any specific phrases in mind?

-tera'ngan
    nuqDaq yuch Dapol

Queen Kat
    (Moderator Emeritus)
    2nd star to the right & straight on 'til morning

It's a really good idea. Why don't you start one?

Wow, that's great. I'd be willing to help-supply phrases or whatever.

Captain Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman's Avatar

I'd gladly help any French and Spanish speakers if they need an American equivalent for expressions and jokes and the like
    May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

i can help translate english into american

I think it's a great idea. Nothing bugs me more than to have British slang come out of Jack's mouth....
    Dana Jeanne

I read the differences between the UK and American versions of Harry Potter, so I think I could help out with that. Like Cpn. Bowman, I could also do some Spanish stuff. I'm not a fluent speaker, as I am still learning, but I'm among the top spanish students at my school.

Staff Sergeant priornavalperson's Avatar

Smile Re: Talking American

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Prophet
    As I understand it, in the Harry Potter fanfic community there are a large number of English fans who provide 'Anglicisation' hints for US writers. I was wondering if there would be some mileage in a thread in which UK (and other) writers could solicit advice on US slang from the forum's American members?

What do people think?
    Well, to start with Mr. Prophet, I am an avid reader of your SG1, SG7, and Gorgons fan fictions, but as a former USN PO2 I must tell you that american military personnel are never "seconded" to posts or ships. They are either assigned to their regular units or they are temporarily assigned duty (TAD) for their temporary duty stations.

When you used the phrases "seconded to" or "on temporary secondment to" in some of your fictions, I knew immediately that you were British.

Quote Originally Posted by priornavalperson
    Well, to start with Mr. Prophet, I am an avid reader of your SG1, SG7, and Gorgons fan fictions, but as a former USN PO2
    Petty Officer 2: This time it's personal!

Hem.

That's ironic actually, since the first time I ever heard the term secondment was in re. of a US military character being seconded to a particular duty, and the line was spoken by that character (with an atrocious Texan accent to boot; go BBC).

Staff Sergeant priornavalperson's Avatar

Talking Re: Talking American

Do you mean that Texican accents are atrocious or that the Texas accent was simulated atrociously?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Prophet
    Petty Officer 2: This time it's personal!

Hem.

That's ironic actually, since the first time I ever heard the term secondment was in re. of a US military character being seconded to a particular duty, and the line was spoken by that character (with an atrocious Texan accent to boot; go BBC).

Earth Symbol Re: Talking American

Do you mean that Texican accents are atrocious or that the Texas accent was simulated atrociously?
    Considering it was a BBC production, I'd say it was the latter.

meimei

This is an interesting place to read! I remember the first time I read a fic by a British writer, or I guess it could be Canadian or Australian, they used the word "lounge". It took me backing up and checking context to realize that lounge = living room....

ETA: and Texan accents are awful anyway!! Just kidding... Arkansas and Texas used to be arch rivals in college football (that would be American football) back when I was a teenager!

A little from column A...

My beta (who is wonderful and lovely and wise) translates my fics into American. And my slashbeta does the same for my slashfics.

But what about the differences between regional Americanisms? Does it disturb someone from Minnesota, for instance, to read Texanisms (eh?) coming out of Jack in a fic? Or doesn't that occur.
    Last edited by Major Clanger; December 4th, 2004 at 03:33 AM. Reason: clarity
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

Earth Symbol Re: Talking American

Quote Originally Posted by Major Clanger
    But what about the differences between regional Americanisms? Does it disturb someone from Minnesota, for instance, to read Texanisms (eh?) coming out of Jack in a fic? Or doesn't that occur.
    I don't know about Minnisotans, but I'm from Montana and if I heard a Montanan character talking like a Texan, I'd notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Clanger
    My beta (who is wonderful and lovely and wise) translates my fics into American. And my slashbeta does the same for my slashfics.
    Isn't a beta a fish? Or is it Betta?

Lieutenant Colonel Major Fischer's Avatar

I don't think the regionalism is really a problem since the show handles regional american elements pretty poorly anyway. Just the landscape and city of Colorado Springs for one thing.

I am occasionaly broken from my suspended disbelief in the show when the set decorators or special effects people use non-American standard spellings on US military props and computer screens.

And AT, bless her heart, sounds Canadian occasionally. I've seen TH do the same thing. I wouldn't worry about slang too much in the fics as long as it's not British slang. Regionalism are dying in most parts of this country anyway.

*says the woman who uses "yonder", "a piece", "a mess of", and "y'all" in every day speech.

meimei

Quote Originally Posted by Major Fischer
    I don't think the regionalism is really a problem since the show handles regional american elements pretty poorly anyway. Just the landscape and city of Colorado Springs for one thing.

I am occasionaly broken from my suspended disbelief in the show when the set decorators or special effects people use non-American standard spellings on US military props and computer screens.

And AT, bless her heart, sounds Canadian occasionally. I've seen TH do the same thing. I wouldn't worry about slang too much in the fics as long as it's not British slang. Regionalism are dying in most parts of this country anyway.

*says the woman who uses "yonder", "a piece", "a mess of", and "y'all" in every day speech.
    LOL! I use y'all all the time! But sometimes I pronounce "coffee" with a Brooklyn accent... Too many years in NYC have messed with my accent... Most of the Brooklynisms have died away after 9 years back in Arkansas.

I have noticed the occasional Canadian accent with AT but I haven't noticed the spelling issues you mentioned. I will have to pay closer attention!

Lieutenant Colonel Major Fischer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by meimei
    LOL! I use y'all all the time! But sometimes I pronounce "coffee" with a Brooklyn accent... Too many years in NYC have messed with my accent... Most of the Brooklynisms have died away after 9 years back in Arkansas.

I have noticed the occasional Canadian accent with AT but I haven't noticed the spelling issues you mentioned. I will have to pay closer attention!
    Look at the spelling on the graphics in Avatar, and any screen that should say "Incoming Traveller."

Page 1 of 32 123411 ... LastLast