This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destiny AI?

how cool would it be if the Destiny had a holographic AI character aboard?

i mean personally when atlantis began i thought the hologram in rising would be a character in the show but sadly that never happend but lets say the destiny hopefully gets one it will be interesting to see how the crew interact with the AI. oh and also to prevent the AI from completely helping the crew on every danger or dillemma i guess you could have it be corrupted in some way where it cannot access information or understand the crew. another interesting thing would be to have the hologram learn from the crew sort of imitate their behaviour, speech etc and irritate the crew abit which would be hilarious to watch if done well.
    sigpic

Eh I don't think I would like an AI in SGU.

Perfecto!

Comment

Meh, Andromeda all over again? Do we really need that again?

Comment

I think it worked in andromeda. Certainly did well in voyager. But then i suppose the show already looks a lot like voyager.
        Last edited by Adam50ae; 25 February 2009, 12:48 AM. Reason: Left out a word

Comment

Hey, I loved ANDROMEDA and still do, I have the complete boxsets.

Anyway, technically an advanced culture would definitely have some form of AI that would run the main aspects of any instillation or vessel, leaving the crew to more important tasks.

Why an AI?

Well a computer core with an intuitive operating system would be able to instantly adjust the environment to the needs of the occupants, a computer system without an AI would not be able to do so. In fact the benefits of an AI operating system over a standard non-sentient operating system is too numerous to mention, well sorta!

Originally posted by SaveAndromeda.com
          "You ask why we give our Ships' Computers normal Emotions?
          Do you really want a Warship
          Incapable of Loyalty?
          Or of Love?"

The Unshattered Allegiance,
          High Guard Frigate
          Artificial Intelligence Rights Activist,
          C.Y. 7309
          Last edited by Kal-El; 25 February 2009, 12:58 AM.
          THERE ARE THINGS KNOWN...
          AND THINGS UNKNOWN...
          AND IN BETWEEN...LIES THE STARGATE

Comment

It will be like star trek voyager
            sigpic

My fan-fic, swedish outpost

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
              Eh I don't think I would like an AI in SGU.
              Same here

Comment

Hmmm i don't think i would mind but it really has been before

Comment

i understand the fact you guys are saying it has been done before or it will be like star trek but you could easily say that about the whole premise of the show.

plus yea i know andromeda did it but in most of todays tv how can hardly make a show without it being compared to what came before, plus i thought it would be logical to have an A.I on a ship that has been automated to follow another ship for millions of years.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nero_200 View Post
                    Not cool at all.

For Wraith, hunger burns like a fire.

Tell me, Sheppard, if you found yourself burning alive, would you settle for just one drop of water ...

....... or would you take more?

sigpic

Comment

I'm with you; I think it'd be awesome, and despite what other people say, such as the "it's been done" argument, I'd argue that the lifeless computer voice or the manual input common in Stargate is the venue that's been overdone. A ship having an operating AI actually isn't all that common, save a few well known exceptions, but they're just that, exceptions to Scfi shows, not the rule.

oh and also to prevent the AI from completely helping the crew on every danger or dillemma i guess you could have it be corrupted in some way where it cannot access information or understand the crew. another interesting thing would be to have the hologram learn from the crew sort of imitate their behaviour, speech etc and irritate the crew abit which would be hilarious to watch if done well.
                      An easy way to keep the AI from helping the team would be to simply give it it's own agenda(s) separate from the team. Maybe missions that the Ancients gave it other than seeding Stargates. And I know I could think of more than a few fun character interactions between the AI and the crew.

plus yea i know andromeda did it but in most of todays tv how can hardly make a show without it being compared to what came before, plus i thought it would be logical to have an A.I on a ship that has been automated to follow another ship for millions of years.
                      And this is actually one of the major reasons I do favor a ship's AI, the logical aspect. Given where the Destiny is going and the mission it has to accomplish when it gets there, I don't think it's much of a stretch to have an AI aboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Vis Uban View Post
                        I'm with you; I think it'd be awesome, and despite what other people say, such as the "it's been done" argument, I'd argue that the lifeless computer voice or the manual input common in Stargate is the venue that's been overdone. A ship having an operating AI actually isn't all that common, save a few well known exceptions, but they're just that, exceptions to Scfi shows, not the rule.

An easy way to keep the AI from helping the team would be to simply give it it's own agenda(s) separate from the team. Maybe missions that the Ancients gave it other than seeding Stargates. And I know I could think of more than a few fun character interactions between the AI and the crew.

And this is actually one of the major reasons I do favor a ship's AI, the logical aspect. Given where the Destiny is going and the mission it has to accomplish when it gets there, I don't think it's much of a stretch to have an AI aboard.
                        thanks vis you have some good points there i thought i was the only one who liked the idea of A.I on the ship

i like the idea of the A.I having an agenda of its own probably knowing the inhabitants are not ancients, this could have great potential stortelling than a large amount of reccuring characters being killed of which is most likely gonna happen.
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm with Vis and Nero on this one, an AI in SGU would be AWSOME!!!

particulary if it was like Nero suggested but it could only communicate in Ancient Ancient (sounds funny ) so it has to learn our language and how we act over time, something like that would be cool and funny at the same time.
                          Enjoying Stargate's Technobabble since 1997

If you like the Gateworld podcast be sure to listen the The 5th Race Podcast for a fan's view of the Stargate Franchise! and join the forums while you at it![/CENTER]

Comment

Dave?........ Dave?......... What are you doing dave?

Comment

too much like Andromeda, but maybe a different form of AI...more low key
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X