This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Prometheus episode ever escape the shadow of "Star Trek"

Prometheus is a good ship, with it's own identities annd original to a point, but are Prometheus base episode remind people too much of Star Trek and always the comparison.
    if they made Prometheus spin-off ,will people stop Comparison ? probably not.

Most Scifi a simlar in way or the other, but Stargate universe is about Wars
    ,human is good at blowing things up, Even the Asgerd admit it and love us for it.

In star Trek unvierse , it is about peace, everbody can peacefully co-exist.Human is specal and unique.

When Sam told Jack the X-303 can't use the name "Enterprise", i was laughing so hard that i almost lost control.

But look at the X-303
    Ring Room = Transporting room

Spoiler of S8
    Beaming Technologies = transporting beam

Naquada reactor = Wrap Engine
    Shields

Even the that Alien ship in episode "Grace" looks like Romulan Warbird from a certain angle.

I find the prometheus ship kinda ugly. Blow the eyesore up!!!!
    I like pretty ships. Hopefully they'll build one that's pleasing to the eye.

Comment

And how would you you feel if when they activate the Stargate they said..."Engage!"

Comment

Originally posted by david2708
        I find the prometheus ship kinda ugly. Blow the eyesore up!!!!
        I like pretty ships. Hopefully they'll build one that's pleasing to the eye.
        I totally agree with you. In fact, does anybody think that they made the Promethous ugly on purpose? Sounds silly, I know, but maybe they wanted to avoid the comparison....

Comment

You can't help but find similarities between Prometheus and a Star Trek ship, because frankly, you can do that with any sci-fi series. Unless someone comes up witha radically new concept, comparisons will always be drawn.
          Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by BeaC
            I totally agree with you. In fact, does anybody think that they made the Promethous ugly on purpose? Sounds silly, I know, but maybe they wanted to avoid the comparison....
            yeah i think they made it ugly on purpose to avoid comparison and aslo its the frist human ship they never made any thing like it befor and they made it in a rush they did not have time to make it look nice

Comment

That's why I think that a Prometheus spin-off series would not work, too many people would think, "Oh, for cryin' out loud. I get this on Enterprise. Might as well just keep my sponsorship for Star Trek goin' instead." Prometheus episodes by themselves are alright, but there are too many Star Trek draws. And if they do manage to avoid, somehow, a real Star Trek look, then they'll probably end up drawing it in with Star Wars instead.
              Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

Originally posted by lord-anubis
                yeah i think they made it ugly on purpose to avoid comparison and aslo its the frist human ship they never made any thing like it befor and they made it in a rush they did not have time to make it look nice
                Well , at least it is not as ugly as the Earth Alliance Warship in Babylon 5, i mean they were very ,very bad, a big long box with a ugly rocket at the rear end and some sort of blade rotating in the middle section .All the alien ship on Babylon 5 were beautiful ,but the human ship were the uglies ship ever in Sci Fi

At least X-303 look good at time from a certain angle

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel's_twin
                  That's why I think that a Prometheus spin-off series would not work, too many people would think, "Oh, for cryin' out loud. I get this on Enterprise. Might as well just keep my sponsorship for Star Trek goin' instead." Prometheus episodes by themselves are alright, but there are too many Star Trek draws. And if they do manage to avoid, somehow, a real Star Trek look, then they'll probably end up drawing it in with Star Wars instead.
                  i think a prometheus spin-off could work beacsue star trek is about as ckwongau siad it is about peace, everbody can peacefully co-exist.Human is specal and unique.

prometheus would be about blowing stuff up geting new tech and kicking anying one ass who got in are way and runing a way if you can beat them

Comment

Originally posted by lord-anubis
                    i think a prometheus spin-off could work beacsue star trek is about as ckwongau siad it is about peace, everbody can peacefully co-exist.Human is specal and unique.

prometheus would be about blowing stuff up geting new tech and kicking anying one ass who got in are way and runing a way if you can beat them
                    Sounds more along the lines if the NID took over the Prometheus.

I do compare it to Trek, but it is different in that it doesn't have the whole glossed-over appearance that Trek has. Now, as for why the ship is ugly, it's a military craft, built for performance not asthetics. Not to mention that it was probably built by the lowest bidder, as govt. contracts tend to go...but as long as it flies well!

Comment

And blows up the baddies!
                      Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by aeromathlete
                        Sounds more along the lines if the NID took over the Prometheus.
                        yeah ok than i change it to geting tech by make firends and being nice and asking other more power race if they can give us weapons even though they well say no

Comment

There have been several good points made here, the first being "Do we even want it to?" The inevitable comparisons to Star Trek have been unavoidable, and if there was a Promethius spin-off, I think it would suffer from the comparison. Look at Enterprise's slipping ratings: if people watch space dramas on TV anymore, not many of them are watching that one. I do watch it, and think it's a good show, but the market's been saturated with Roddenberry babies, and I think the fans are looking for something new.
                          Second: the X-303 is ugly. Yup. The Earth-based ships on Babylon 5 were ugly. Yup. They also have one thing in common: they are both uniquely human. Utilitarian. A ship doesn't have to be pretty to get its job done, and as far as aerodynamics go...not so much a big deal in space.
                          Thirdly, my own point: I don't really want or need to see "SGC In Spaaaaaaaaace!" (Apologies to Jim Henson. ) I wasn't sure I wanted a season nine of SG-1 (movie! movie!), and to drag out the premise by basically sticking the SGC on a ship and sending it around the galaxy to poke their noses in other people's business...does this sound familiar to anyone? (Take the SGC and stick it in another galaxy to poke their...anyway, I digress...) I enjoy Atlantis, think it's been excellent so far, and by the time SG-1 is done it'll be ready to take and carry the Stargate torch on its own. It won't need a Promethius backup.

Comment

Well,the EA (Earth Alliance) was also the more primitive of the space faring races in the Bab 5 universe. The "rotating section" was to generate gravity. EA had not discovered artificial gravity deck plating as did the more ancient spacefaring races, the Minbari, the Centauri, etc. The Minbari had been in space for three thousand years. Steering back to the gist of the thread, I feel the less than cool Prometheus is the same issue. A primitive type of ship based on Asgard technology.

As for comparison with Star Trek; Trek is such a part of pop culture, it can not be entirely escaped. Trek stuff is even in the Smithsonian.
                            "Let's make it TEN. Ten's a nice...round...number..." -- Morty

Comment

And that is scary as well as a little wierd.

Comment

Working...
                              X