X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vladius View Post
    They have them already...
    Why do I get the feeling that "they can get a heterosexual marriage" is about to be said?
    Sig by Pandora's Box
    sigpic

Comment

And, why does our healthcare "suck" exactly? Because it's not run by bureaucrats?
      WHY? look around.. NO ONE CAN AFFORD HEALTH CARE! Even when you're with an employer, if you're sick...don't bother living, the cost of medical bill plus ur absences from work will get you no where but plain broke!

What else, health insurance, who buys health insurance? Who can afford health insurance? And these health insurance only insures that 'healthy' ones. In another word, if you're sick, don't bother, we're not gonna pay a dime for you.

Now, tell me, how does it not suck?

Comment

They have them already...
        ...except for marriage...

You even said that yourself.

Do you understand what "except" means?

Funny. Funny how that happens when a communist rises to power. But that's off topic.
        LOL. You (and your ilk) have no idea what you're talking about.

Take it from someone who was actually born in a communist country and lived there for 9 years; Obama ain't a commie.
        Last edited by PG15; 13 May 2009, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
          Hmm, I'm not quite sure you understand what "Coming out of the closet means." They are NOT, and I repeat, are NOT a part of society. What does being a part of society means? It means acceptance. Do you truly believe that homosexuality is accepted in this society? Or do you risk of getting kill and discriminated upon when you tell people you're gay? Not a lot of people want to take that risk, you know.
          I'm not sure I understand how you're using the word "society" here. Society is a word often used to refer to a collective group of human beings who interact with one another in some way. In which case, homosexuals are clearly part of society. Whether or not they are "accepted" is another issue entirely. And, again, I'm not sure what you mean by "accepted" either. This thread serves as evidence that homosexuality is accepted by some members of society and not accepted by some members of society (there's probably some middle ground or "partial acceptance" as well). If you think someone/something has to be universally accepted in order to be part of society... well, then society just got a whole lot smaller. Religious people are not universally accepted. Republicans are not universally accepted. Democrats are not universally accepted. There are many, many reasons why a member of society might not be universally accepted by every other member of society. But as long as they are still human and still interact with other human beings... then in my mind they are still part of society.
          Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
          Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
            I'm not sure I understand how you're using the word "society" here. Society is a word often used to refer to a collective group of human beings who interact with one another in some way. In which case, homosexuals are clearly part of society. Whether or not they are "accepted" is another issue entirely. And, again, I'm not sure what you mean by "accepted" either. This thread serves as evidence that homosexuality is accepted by some members of society and not accepted by some members of society (there's probably some middle ground or "partial acceptance" as well). If you think someone/something has to be universally accepted in order to be part of society... well, then society just got a whole lot smaller. Religious people are not universally accepted. Republicans are not universally accepted. Democrats are not universally accepted. There are many, many reasons why a member of society might not be universally accepted by every other member of society. But as long as they are still human and still interact with other human beings... then in my mind they are still part of society.
            Eh, semantics are always fun right? In any case, I get the feeling that Spirit probably means the same thing that you do. If not, they can feel free to correct me.

I will say that I agree with you though. Homosexuals are a part of society. But, as you said, that doesn't mean they're accepted. I'd add further that (at least in America), republicans, democrats, and religious people are accepted to a greater degree than homosexuals.

*Side Note* Hooray 400 posts!
            Sig by Pandora's Box
            sigpic

Comment

You people talk too much...

Originally posted by GateGipsy View Post
              There is a gay character in the show.
              And she's going to be a beacon of hope ... no wait, her partner is Wray's beacon of light in the dark. Someone to try to go back to when all else is about to collapse around her -- oh, the drama and the angst.

I think i love Wray already... *gasp* I think I want to write fanfic already.

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
              I still don't know why you're assuming we're going to be seeing homosexual acts at all.
              Kissing!!! There will be kissing.... I hope.

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
              it seems to me that they want to be normal in their perspective and not be looked upon by people like you, they dont want to be treated as special, as the new phenomenon, they dont want to be Hot Topics, they dont want something like, "im gay," and then someone says "wow cool," or something. what they want is the taboo removed, the bias removed, and they want to behave as they feel, do as they feel and not be looked upon as freaks.

all gay want, is that people who find their sexuality to be homo, that they can say it face-to-face to their parents without blushing, without feeling sorry, without feeling special, abnormal, freaky, or something like that. what they want is that when a woman flirts, they can say "im sorry, im gay," and the other is like "meh" and doesnt fuss about it. and when they say they're gay, others react normal and add the weight it has: basically nothing. and not fuss about it.

its not like i'm gay, but i can imagine how it would be. because if i am different, then i would like to be treated normal, not special, not a pat on the back but to have the people not care about it, to treat it like its natural and not exceptional. would you like everyone to applause for you telling your sexuality? nope. cause if everyone treats it normal, you wouldnt have to be afraid. you could just say "im gay" to your parents and they say, "we dont care, we love you as you are." and they can say it without awkwardness, without the strange atmosphere as if you just said you killed somebody.

infact, i can imagine that the average homosexual would hate us talking about it like this. i would hate stargate for following some cultural trend, i would like it if they stepped away from superhumans and instead act as if they plucked some people from the street and tossed them onto an alien ship. some gay, some black, some asia, i dont care.
              This I gave you GREEN for because it's totally worth it.

Doesn't that mean they can all live productive lives as people who aren't gay, even if they have personally decided "on the inside" that they are?
              And lead an unhappy live?

Originally posted by blakey View Post
              I voted "as long as they don't use it as a joke". I have a feeling that it may be used as joke sometimes (just to lighten the mood), which will be hard for the writers to tell just how far they can push it and still be socially acceptable.
              I'm afraid they might actually go there -- I would totally hate it if that's all they ever intended (which I hope they didn't and treat it with the respect it deserves).

Major Lorne was gay? Or is he just gay in the same way that slashers think McKay and Sheppard are?
              Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
              Essentially JM said in his blog that he always thought that one of the male (non-series regulars) characters on SGA was gay, but could never find to incorporate who this character was into a script. For many (40% in a gateworld poll - the highest % out of all the characters), Lorne was the character seen as the gay character. So its all fandom speculation.
              What Madwelshboy said, plus Kavan Smith was told this at a Q&A and they asked him what he thought about it. Apparently he could see Lorne as being gay.

Originally posted by T'saria View Post
              Why not have a gay character! I think some great plots could come of it.
              Beacons of hope, light -- drama and angst -- and whatnot.

Why do you even think there is a "coming out of the closet" phenomenon? If it makes them uncomfortable to be with society at large, then they can keep it to themselves.
              Ever considered the possibility society contributes its fair share in this "phenomenon" as you put it.

Heard it from somewhere that one of the producers said that in retrospect. It didn't get the press like this, though.
              You could also easily use Captain Vega.
              Who was killed and than announced to be gay... Cheap act to say the least.

Why do I get the feeling that "they can get a heterosexual marriage" is about to be said?
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Eh, semantics are always fun right? In any case, I get the feeling that Spirit probably means the same thing that you do. If not, they can feel free to correct me.

I will say that I agree with you though. Homosexuals are a part of society. But, as you said, that doesn't mean they're accepted. I'd add further that (at least in America), republicans, democrats, and religious people are accepted to a greater degree than homosexuals.

*Side Note* Hooray 400 posts!
                Lol. Well, it's not entirely semantics if if makes the argument clearer (and heck, I'm an English major... fuzzy arguments and imprecise word usage are not acceptable! ). Trust me, if I really wanted to argue semantics, I could pick on a lot of other posts in this thread.

As for the second point... that's a generalization, and while it may be accurate in some places, that doesn't make it true everywhere. I attend a liberal university. On my campus, homosexuality and homosexual individuals are much more accepted than religious people or Republicans (it's a very pro-Obama campus, almost fanatically so, and they make no attempt to treat members of the opposing party politely). My point is that many things (and people) are not fully accepted by society. Homosexuality has not cornered the market on discrimination. If anything, some of the statements made about religion in this thread prove that there is plenty of discrimination and prejudice against religious groups (and other groups as well). IMO, the discrimination shouldn't be more acceptable just because it's against a group that you don't happen to like. So that's the point I was trying to get at.

And congrats on your 400th post, by the way.
                Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                  ...except for marriage...

You even said that yourself.

Do you understand what "except" means?

LOL. You (and your ilk) have no idea what you're talking about.

Take it from someone who was actually born in a communist country and lived there for 9 years; Obama ain't a commie.
                  It was my understanding that China isn't a pure communist country anymore.
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

True, not anymore.

But I was there in the early-to-mid 90s. I think it was more communist back then.

I can always ask my parents. They were there during the Cultural Revolution.

Comment

China was never a pure communist country, no nation state has ever been really.

Comment

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
                        Lol. Well, it's not entirely semantics if if makes the argument clearer (and heck, I'm an English major... fuzzy arguments and imprecise word usage are not acceptable! ). Trust me, if I really wanted to argue semantics, I could pick on a lot of other posts in this thread.
                        Fair enough .

As for the second point... that's a generalization, and while it may be accurate in some places, that doesn't make it true everywhere. I attend a liberal university.
                        This is a fair point too. It really does have a lot to do with where you live. I may be in a similar situation as you. I live (currently) in Madison, WI and go to UW-Madison; a very liberal campus as well.

Homosexuality and homosexual individuals are much more accepted than religious people or Republicans (it's a very pro-Obama campus, almost fanatically so, and they make no attempt to treat members of the opposing party politely). My point is that many things (and people) are not fully accepted by society. Homosexuality has not cornered the market on discrimination.
                        I agree with you here for the most part. However, there are currently no laws (correct me if I'm wrong) that prohibit religious or republican individuals from a right that the other groups are granted. This can be extrapolated to mean that (in general), our nation is more tolerant of religion and political party differences than sexuality.

Keep in mind, I still agree with you that every group in existence faces discrimination of some kind.

If anything, some of the statements made about religion in this thread prove that there is plenty of discrimination and prejudice against religious groups (and other groups as well). IMO, the discrimination shouldn't be more acceptable just because it's against a group that you don't happen to like. So that's the point I was trying to get at.
                        I agree. No forms of discrimination should be considered more acceptable.

And congrats on your 400th post, by the way.
                        Thanks
                        Sig by Pandora's Box
                        sigpic

Comment

Wray is gay! PERIOD!

It really is not up for debate!

TPTB did not ask the fans if they wanted a gay character!

TPTB just went ahead and did it!

TPTB are smart enough (up for debate ) to KNOW that they MIGHT loose fans for the decision to go ahead and make her gay!

Still they are going with the character being gay!

Watch or don't watch the choice is YOURS!
                          Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

We mods have better things to do than to keep telling members to keep on topic.

You can't stay on topic, you don't get to have a topic.
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X