This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homosexual ON SCREEN characters in SGU

I was wondering if SGU will actually show homosexual/lesbian/bi-sexual characters on screen as they have done on BSG (& I don't mean 'kissing bandit' moments, scenes/characters cut on the cutting room floor, etc! )?

We live in the 21st Century, so seeing more diverse cultures/sexual preferences (& all female teams! ) would be lovely & more accurate a portrayal of the real world that STARGATE is supposedly set in (considering it's supposed to be set in the 'here & now').

I am not necessarily talking love scenes like in Torchwood (although I wouldn't complain! ), although two male characters kissing on screen (although I know that some people may have a problem with this) or two female characters exploring a lesbian relationship (like Willow from Buffy) would be nice.

As a total Gatehead whom is proudly & openly gay, I see nothing wrong in this - nor having more strong, powerful female characters like Vala, Carter, Weir, etc - on T.V; I just feel if the show is going to be set in the here & now, it should represent the here & now.
    Absolutely not, I wouldn't mind.
    27.37%
    Absolutely yes, I'd mind.
    21.23%
    I don't care if there is one, as long as it's not treated like a joke
    32.63%
    If there is one I think it'd be a great comedy point
    1.93%
    I literally don't care
    16.84%

iunno maybe??...we really dont know much about the characters at this point but it wouldnt be out of the question...maybe its dr.rush just imagine RC playing a gay evil amnipulative scientist.if anyone could do it..he can!lol

Comment

Originally posted by kennythewraith View Post
      iunno maybe??...we really dont know much about the characters at this point but it wouldnt be out of the question...maybe its dr.rush just imagine RC playing a gay evil amnipulative scientist.if anyone could do it..he can!lol
      Sounds like my kind of mad scientist!

Comment

Hey Akren *Waves*

LMAO.... I knew it was only a matter of time before the Atlantis scandal sparked something off in SGU's direction.....

Although I agree with you, it would be nice to have some more cultural and ethical diversity in the show, for example I really can't think of an Middle Eastern character???? (Arabic etc...)

Secondly I think it showed with Dr Wier and Sam... That some viewers simply are not happy with a female in charge (Something the Trekkies have over us LOL) the second they killed off Wier I knew it was only a matter of time before they replaced her with a Male character!

Thirdly, some people will just complain for the sake of complaining.... and hey seeing gay people is as good a reason as any for some folks.... if they where going to do it, it could not be in Torchwoods "Full-on" style.... it just would not work.... sadly the majority of Stargate’s audience just is not capable of digesting it...

So.... yea it would be great to see it, but we can already see from the casting list and character profiles that so far very little has change compared to previous Stargate series.

P.S. Untill I saw you (Akren) had started the thread I thought it was a bashers thread LOL..... was getting all geared up for a debate
        A Proud Supporter of "Fan-Slash-Fiction" Since 1998

sigpic

Comment

lol sounds like u were looking for a fight razzel....i think its time for tv to show more gay characters.in all honesty i could giva rats a** if it offend religous people.

Comment

Originally posted by kennythewraith View Post
            lol sounds like u were looking for a fight razzel....i think its time for tv to show more gay characters.in all honesty i could giva rats a** if it offend religous people.
            Not to go majorly off topic however on the 21st of Feb, this statement was issued -

Spoiler:
            "In their joint statement, the organisations, which include the Methodist, Baptist, United Reformed churches and the Evangelical Alliance, say: "We do not share their hatred of lesbian and gay people. We believe that God loves all, irrespective of sexual orientation, and we unreservedly stand against their message of hate toward those communities. Neither the style nor substance of their preaching expresses the historic, orthodox Christian faith. And we ask that the members of Westboro Baptist Church refrain from stirring up any more homophobic hatred in the UK or elsewhere."

This is a strong statement that will be welcomed by human rights campaigners and gay groups. These churches and evangelical organisations have taken a decision to unreservedly condemn the "homophobia" of Westboro Baptist Church as unbiblical and un-Christian."

LOL.... you never know.... maybe SGU might attempt to break the mould....

sigpic

Comment

I think sticking to what has worked (SG1) would be safer for ratings and not to explore that avenue

Comment

Originally posted by Inquisitor View Post
                I think sticking to what has worked (SG1) would be safer for ratings and not to explore that avenue
                They have already said that their not following the formula of SG1 and SGA.
                I think since SGU is ment to be more character driven, i think this is the best opportunity to introduce a gay character. Maybe it will be Eli, David Blue has played gay character before, so we know he could do it.

Comment

im gonna say no!

i dont think they would EVER show such a thing and they havent.

As for the whole GAY female on SGA, there was no indication, except from the producers(WHICH IS NOT ON THE SHOW!)that she was gay.....but she was killed.

As sexist that may sound...sorry...but its true, they may interest a few people but it would enrage TOO many others

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
                    They have already said that their not following the formula of SG1 and SGA.
                    I think since SGU is ment to be more character driven, i think this is the best opportunity to introduce a gay character. Maybe it will be Eli, David Blue has played gay character before, so we know he could do it.

Has he??? wow.... must have missed that, can you remember what show it was in???

Just thinking about it there are some great American shows with gay story lines in them, I mean "As the World Turns" is getting great viwer ratings at the moment for the "Luke and Noah" story line!!

It would completley depend on how they did it, I mean Stargate Atlantis that showed the first ever male on male kiss in American Sci Fi...(I should think there are going to be people shouting *But there was a girl in Mckays head!!!*.... However "Duet" did get some good ratings)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by razzel_daxxel View Post
                      Has he??? wow.... must have missed that, can you remember what show it was in???

Just thinking about it there are some great American shows with gay story lines in them, I mean "As the World Turns" is getting great viwer ratings at the moment for the "Luke and Noah" story line!!

It would completley depend on how they did it, I mean Stargate Atlantis that showed the first ever male on male kiss in American Sci Fi...(I should think there are going to be people shouting *But there was a girl in Mckays head!!!*.... However "Duet" did get some good ratings)
                      It was in Ugly Betty, he was the boyfreind of one of the main characters. I agree with you gay storylines are currently a great way of getting ratings.

Comment

I am not talking about doing GLBT characters for a ratings hit or to create controversy (Although the two seem to go hand in hand in certain genres & T.V. ); I want to see more of it in STARGATE & sci-fi in general.

It's as much an equality thing as it is representing real life & taking a bold stance & doing something different & unexpected & actually representing REAL people from REAL life - something STARGATE, which is set set in the here & now, is supposed to do (within the bounds of the sci fi universe it is set in). I agree it would be a bold, if somewhat risky move, especially for American sci fi (Japanese sci fi & manga has never been afraid to explore these concepts IMHO/insofar as I am aware); but one that SHOULD be taken eventually, if not in small, baby steps.

Thanks again to Raz (Hope you liked the green! ) & all those whom have replied, your thoughts & intelligent debate on the subject has been wonderful; & I welcome even more discussion on the topic!

Comment

Originally posted by akren View Post
                          I am not talking about doing GLBT characters for a ratings hit or to create controversy (Although the two seem to go hand in hand in certain genres & T.V. ); I want to see more of it in STARGATE & sci-fi in general.
                          It's as much an equality thing as it is representing real life & taking a bold stance & doing something different & unexpected & actually representing REAL people from REAL life - something STARGATE, which is set set in the here & now, is supposed to do (within the bounds of the sci fi universe it is set in). I agree it would be a bold, if somewhat risky move, especially for American sci fi (Japanese sci fi & manga has never been afraid to explore these concepts IMHO/insofar as I am aware); but one that SHOULD be taken eventually, if not in small, baby steps.

Thanks again to Raz (Hope you liked the green! ) & all those whom have replied, your thoughts & intelligent debate on the subject has been wonderful; & I welcome even more discussion on the topic!
                          I understand that, but if they decided to include a gay character it would be in terms of how it would effect the ratings, after tv bus = ratings = money. I think the point that was made before illustrates that, this shouldnt be an issue in current times as more people are generally accepting gay characters and storylines on tv.

Comment

Well, I'm only going to say no, and if I don't stop there I know I'll say some stuff I shouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertFox2020 View Post
                              Well, I'm only going to say no, and if I don't stop there I know I'll say some stuff I shouldn't.
                              You're entitled to your opinion, provided you put forth your arguement in a mature, open-minded way. I for one always welcome open-minded debate & realise not everyone is gonna agree & may have very different opinions/beliefs, it doesn't make them any less valid or right/wrong, simly different - & I respect that.

Here's hoping we can all find a middle road we agree on & that TPTB do EVERYONE - the cast/crew, the actors, actoresses, the show & the fans - justice with SGU.

Comment

Working...
                              X