How is possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is possible?

I was re-watching the ArK Of Truth the other day and something struck me that was rather odd. When they were blasting away at the replicators with high caliber weapons, you would think they would put holes in the ship and decompress where they are. How is it possible that you can have explosions and have high caliber weapons fire without causing a great deal of damage, and possibly the destruction of the ship?

This really goes in all the firefights in all ships, whether they are Asgard, Goa'uld or what ever. I mean in todays Space venturing they worry about a flake of paint, they might run into out in space. Or is it just pure sci fi TV? Even then there must be some sort of scientific validity in what they do. Any thoughts?

Well, as seeing the size of that ship, and what it can go through, I really doubt there was any damage to the hull, or for that manner, any damage that could cause decompression. Think about it, unless they were in a hallway that was right next to a wall that doubled as the outer hull, there would really be no damage. Besides, the hull is probably made out some sort of superstrong composite or something, if energy beams can hit it and not damage it that much, than I doubt high-caliber bullets will do much either.

The short answer: Yes, it is possible that there will be no damage.

Comment

Well our space craft today aren't made from futuristic materials (trinium, naqhuada, ect) and we don't have that much funding for any space program either. Our vessels right now are only made about a few inches thick to a foot, almost nothing protecting the contents, but they can get away with it since there's almost nothing in the vacuum of space. Our ships are built to save money and are built for small exploration. Stargate ships are built for war. They have materials that are far stronger than any material we have access to today, and being built for war their hulls are a few feet thick to even meters thick. I doubt a gun would do anything to it. Plus as for the fire fight in Ark of Truth, as you can see from the angle of the Asgard core room, they are firing into the ship meaning there's dozens of feet of super strong materials between them and space. It'll take a hell of a lot of fire power to punch through that much hull.
      sigpic Current Episode: Hell's Fire
      Stargate Olympus Virtual Series
      Stargate Olympus thread
      Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Mike272 View Post
        Well, as seeing the size of that ship, and what it can go through, I really doubt there was any damage to the hull, or for that manner, any damage that could cause decompression. Think about it, unless they were in a hallway that was right next to a wall that doubled as the outer hull, there would really be no damage. Besides, the hull is probably made out some sort of superstrong composite or something, if energy beams can hit it and not damage it that much, than I doubt high-caliber bullets will do much either.

The short answer: Yes, it is possible that there will be no damage.
        OK but when they get hit by high energy beams they usually have external shields to protect them. This is all happeneing internally, even if they are not near the hull, they would cause major damage to equipment, piping, wireing, and many other systems, that could create totall failure on the ship.

Comment

I was thinking along the same lines during the battle in the corridors. The airmen were either so precise that they never hit the bulkheads or the weapon fire doesn't damage the internal walls of the ship or the consoles in the Core room. Neither of these seems realistic to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
            I was thinking along the same lines during the battle in the corridors. The airmen were either so precise that they never hit the bulkheads or the weapon fire doesn't damage the internal walls of the ship or the consoles in the Core room. Neither of these seems realistic to me.
            Wait...going thousands of light years away by wormhole to stop energy beings of immense power and having to deal with sentient metallic bugs while under attack by massive spaceships is realistic?

If you can accept that why not that the ships are made of materials impenetrable by bullets?

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post
              Wait...going thousands of light years away by wormhole to stop energy beings of immense power and having to deal with sentient metallic bugs while under attack by massive spaceships is realistic?

If you can accept that why not that the ships are made of materials impenetrable by bullets?
              That's a point that you can't argue with.

Anyways, yeah. This is television. Things are going to happen that don't seem realistic. It's just a fact about TV, especially SCI-FI, that you must accept. If you can't, then turn off the TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Starrtom View Post
                OK but when they get hit by high energy beams they usually have external shields to protect them. This is all happeneing internally, even if they are not near the hull, they would cause major damage to equipment, piping, wireing, and many other systems, that could create totall failure on the ship.
                I wouldn't say it would create a total system failure (it's not like they were firing around key systems, afterall). I'm sure it would cause some damage, though. However, the thing is that they were trying to stop creatures that would eat away at the ship until there was nothing left. So any damage the weapons fire might've caused is minimal compared to the kind damage the replicators can and did inflict upon the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by crion View Post
                  That's a point that you can't argue with.
                  Yeah, you can.

Stargate is based on the suspension of disbelief in wormholes, pseudo-sentient robots, ascended beings, and aliens that burrow into the brain and control a human's body.

The suspension of disbelief doesn't stretch far enough, though that it doesn't break when we're asked to believe that the walls of a ship and the structure of a console won't at least be blemished by the impact of hundreds, if not thousands of bullets.

Comment

It just is, in stargate-anything is possible!
                    Sheppard's team runs into Kolya on a planet:

Koyla:"That's right Sheppard, I've got you right where I want you. And there's nothing you can do about it. Your plan was flawed, mine is perfect.This time I have a new gotee, and a black cloak. And I know for a fact that anyone would be scared of that. Now give me the ZPM or I'll kill the guy with the dreadlocks."

5 seconds later....

Kolya is hanging from a tree by his underwear.

Wa Wa Waaaaa.....

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
                      Yeah, you can.

Stargate is based on the suspension of disbelief in wormholes, pseudo-sentient robots, ascended beings, and aliens that burrow into the brain and control a human's body.

The suspension of disbelief doesn't stretch far enough, though that it doesn't break when we're asked to believe that the walls of a ship and the structure of a console won't at least be blemished by the impact of hundreds, if not thousands of bullets.
                      Whole heartedly agree, there is disbelief and there is disbelief.

Comment

It's quite logical that the inner hull must be impenetrable for bullets - it happened before and it would have been the end of SG1 then.
                        CARPE DIEM
                        ANJA

Comment

Working...
                        X