Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weaker Wraith

Lieutenant Colonel

Default Weaker Wraith

I have noticed quite a few people saying that the Wraith have been somewhat weakened to the point where they can be taken down in a few shots instead of the original entire clip.

And there is a completely plausible explanation for this: Dr Beckett theorised that the Wraith healing ability is directly porportional to how recently they fed.

AND

There is now a shortage of 'food' so we can assume that the Wraith are somewhat hungry and somewhat weaker.

There its been explained.

Brigadier General stargatefan234's Avatar

Default Re: Weaker Wraith

Quote Originally Posted by escyos View Post
    I have noticed quite a few people saying that the Wraith have been somewhat weakened to the point where they can be taken down in a few shots instead of the original entire clip.

And there is a completely plausible explanation for this: Dr Beckett theorised that the Wraith healing ability is directly porportional to how recently they fed.

AND

There is now a shortage of 'food' so we can assume that the Wraith are somewhat hungry and somewhat weaker.

You Know Something...
    Spoiler:
    That Makes Sense

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Quote Originally Posted by stargatefan234 View Post
    You Know Something...
    Spoiler:
    That Makes Sense
    It scares me to admit it, but you're right... it makes perfect sense. Why didn't we think of that years ago? Green for you, escyos!
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Lieutenant Colonel

yes yes green for me

AND

Actually you've only explained why some of the Wraith might be weaker, not all of them. Famine in one area doesn't mean famine in all areas. Look at Earth, there may be people starvig in Africa, but it has very little affect on the US or European countries. That may explain why some weaker hives are easier to kill, but it certainly doesn't explain the deterioration of the more dominant hives.

I think the better explanation is lazy writers.

or they maybe are rationating the food !

Probie

Yeah, you might right, but that doesn't change the fact that it sucked.

AND

Also wouldn't Atlantis be looking to have more powerful weapons to deal with the Wraith. That would be soldier's sidearms, pistols machine guns, and the ships weapons and shields.

Cautious Explorer

That I definately agree with lazy writers and yes Darkscreamer785 it sucks too.

MCH

Thanks to DS for my siggy

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Cautious Explorer View Post
    Actually you've only explained why some of the Wraith might be weaker, not all of them. Famine in one area doesn't mean famine in all areas. Look at Earth, there may be people starvig in Africa, but it has very little affect on the US or European countries. That may explain why some weaker hives are easier to kill, but it certainly doesn't explain the deterioration of the more dominant hives.

well we only really see the drone wraith getting shot (for the most part) and they would probly be the ones that get less food, as they are controlled by the more powerful wraith such as queens and the ones that dont wear masks.

Quote Originally Posted by MCH View Post
    Also wouldn't Atlantis be looking to have more powerful weapons to deal with the Wraith. That would be soldier's sidearms, pistols machine guns, and the ships weapons and shields.

That I definately agree with lazy writers and yes Darkscreamer785 it sucks too.

MCH
    They still use 9mm and P-90, granted they might now use some sort of piercing bullet or one of those funky exploding bullets that rip their insides, but we have seen no change

Lieutenant Colonel

yes yes green for me
    wow i do not remember writing that...

That's what I thought, too. But, Wraith can feed on Wraith. Maybe a Wraith isn't yummy tasty to another Wraith, or there is a cannibalism taboo for Wraith society. Maybe a Wraith doesn't provide enough life force (nutrition) for another Wraith.

Or, time constraints for an episode. I think it is Peter DeLuise who sometimes tells actors he is directing to, "die faster."

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Naomi View Post
    That's what I thought, too. But, Wraith can feed on Wraith. Maybe a Wraith isn't yummy tasty to another Wraith, or there is a cannibalism taboo for Wraith society. Maybe a Wraith doesn't provide enough life force (nutrition) for another Wraith.

Or, time constraints for an episode. I think it is Peter DeLuise who sometimes tells actors he is directing to, "die faster."
    well i bet that feeding on a ill or dying human would be less than tasty so a hungry wraith would probably be just as distastful...remember 'hunger is distasteful'

well i bet that feeding on a ill or dying human would be less than tasty so a hungry wraith would probably be just as distastful...remember 'hunger is distasteful'
    'Rising'

If they wanted to go with the theory that hungry Wraith are weaker and therefore easier to kill, it would have been a lot more interesting to also include strong Wraith who remained nearly invincible. That would have kept the Atlanteans guessing.

With all the infighting among hives, I don't see the Wraith as being they type of society that's going to sit down and decided to portion out all the humans equally since there's now a shortage. It seems to me that it would be each hive for itself. In that case, I can easily see the larger more powerful hives feasting while the smaller hives starve. Or it could be a way to upset the balance in Wraith society. What were once small, less powerful hives could gain in importance because they have a source of food that a rival hive doesn't.

It doesn't make sense to me that all hives and all Wraith would be weakened equally by a food shortage.

Lieutenant Colonel

If they wanted to go with the theory that hungry Wraith are weaker and therefore easier to kill, it would have been a lot more interesting to also include strong Wraith who remained nearly invincible. That would have kept the Atlanteans guessing.

With all the infighting among hives, I don't see the Wraith as being they type of society that's going to sit down and decided to portion out all the humans equally since there's now a shortage. It seems to me that it would be each hive for itself. In that case, I can easily see the larger more powerful hives feasting while the smaller hives starve. Or it could be a way to upset the balance in Wraith society. What were once small, less powerful hives could gain in importance because they have a source of food that a rival hive doesn't.

It doesn't make sense to me that all hives and all Wraith would be weakened equally by a food shortage.
    two hives are stronger than one, and if two hives who each have two planets of humans destroy another hive they can divide up the humans on that hives world

Well if SuperKeller can kick their behinds....... then they are DOOMED!

DOOMED I SAY!!

DOOMED!!!
    Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Second Lieutenant Steven_the_Atlantean's Avatar

Don't forget..the Hoffan drug.
    These are a few quotes from different episodes,

"TODD: Effective, yes; admittedly creative, but the truth is all of the existing Wraith factions have been adversely affected by this. Our food supply is being so randomly tainted, we have no way of knowing if our next meal will be our last."

Mackay stated that....
    "McKAY: Let's not forget that Michael spread the modified Hoffan drug to dozens of worlds -- possibly more. I mean, no-one knows for sure, right? Which means that every time you feed, you're takin' a risk."

Then at the time of the death of Michael, Teyla then stated....
    "TEYLA: Unfortunately there will be somebody else to take his place. Of this I am certain."

So that itself made the wraith fraction weaker, the fear of encountering a possible victim(s) of the Hoffan drug.
    Wouldn't it be wise for them to start feeding on one another to ensure survival, instead of killing each other.

Think about it,..why would you risk being engaged into a battle... destroying your own hive in order to feed on a world that has already been (possibly) poisoned.

Second Lieutenant MartianManhunter's Avatar

wow i do not remember writing that...
    Puhahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Staff Sergeant

I think the Wraith being weaker is similar to the way the Jaffa evolved during the course of SG-1. They started out as fairly nasty enemies, then devolved into guys that went down with one shot. In Season 5, many Wraith just existed to run around corners into bullets. I guess that's an easier way to make a firefight happen if you're the writers.

AND

Nice of you that you cleared that to some people, who looked for flaws where there weren't any.
    Spoiler:
    APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
    (YEAR 0 - 100)
    "O thou Sun,
    send me as far over the earth
    as is my pleasure and thine,
    and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
    but never hear anything of bad ones,
    nor they of me."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast