Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Did the Wraith Stop Attacking Atlanits?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Did the Wraith Stop Attacking Atlanits?

this question is born from the
    "Why didn't the ancients fly atlantis back to MW?" Thread which can be found here
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...52#post9763152

My question is, assuming it was perfectly logical for the ancients to leave atlantis where it was, why did the wraith just leave it there?

why didnt they blast it to hell. i mean 2 hive ships attacked atlantis in the episode "the seige" and one zpm would have lasted a day or something.

No way would 3 zpm last insanely long even with atlantis being under water. so they could have destroyed atlantis, why didn't they?

and why didn't they try to claim it as thier own, or steal the lantean technology?
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Good question. I don't see why all those Hives couldn't have continued bombarding Atlantis underwater, until they finally won out. I mean, all the submerging of the city would've done is delay the inevitable. So again; why did the Wraith stop?
    Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

well the reasoning behind sinking the city was the water would dissapate the wraith bombardment, so it would only be a tiny fraction if any damage hitting the shield.

Plus there is also the wraith alergy to water which would have made it difficult.

The better question is how long did they spend in orbit after the city was sunk. Years, Decades or more?

Comment

Originally posted by tsjr View Post
        well the reasoning behind sinking the city was the water would dissapate the wraith bombardment, so it would only be a tiny fraction if any damage hitting the shield.

Plus there is also the wraith alergy to water which would have made it difficult.

The better question is how long did they spend in orbit after the city was sunk. Years, Decades or more?
        even if the energy was disappated, a tiny fraction still remained. and as explained above, i dont think it would have took that long for a shield powered by only 3 zpm's to fail, given that it was bombarded by 60 hive ships and had to hold back the ocean above them.

Wraith alergy to water??? a queen swam from her hive to the drilling platform easily enough, and that was under immense pressure that would have been deadly to humans
        People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

Originally posted by stargatefan234 View Post
          this question is born from the
          "Why didn't the ancients fly atlantis back to MW?" Thread which can be found here
          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...52#post9763152

My question is, assuming it was perfectly logical for the ancients to leave atlantis where it was, why did the wraith just leave it there?

why didnt they blast it to hell. i mean 2 hive ships attacked atlantis in the episode "the seige" and one zpm would have lasted a day or something.

No way would 3 zpm last insanely long even with atlantis being under water. so they could have destroyed atlantis, why didn't they?

and why didn't they try to claim it as thier own, or steal the lantean technology?
          My thoughts on why the Wraith stopped attacking Atlantis. With the Lantians gone and Atlantis sunk (forever as far as the Wraith knew) the Wraith had won the war. The Wraith didn’t need to bother with Atlantis anymore – it held no purpose for them. The Ancients were gone, they were the ultimate power in the Pegasus Galaxy and they could feast on the humans at their will with little to no resistance. Which at the time were likely their only goals.

The Wraith likely found no reason to waste their time or resources trying to salvage Atlantis especially when they don’t have the Ancient gene - so much of the equipment would have been useless to them anyway. They had their own technology which was working for them just fine - after all they just defeated the Ancients. The only reason Atlantis eventually became important to the Wraith was that with the SG contingent there they realized it held the information that could direct them to Earth – a rich new feeding ground. And in current time with the Pegasus human population too low to meet their feeding needs finding Earth was a means for survival. Hence now their was a reason for them to get to Atlantis’s resources.

Comment

Originally posted by EdenSG View Post
            My thoughts on why the Wraith stopped attacking Atlantis. With the Lantians gone and Atlantis sunk (forever as far as the Wraith knew) the Wraith had won the war. The Wraith didn’t need to bother with Atlantis anymore – it held no purpose for them. The Ancients were gone, they were the ultimate power in the Pegasus Galaxy and they could feast on the humans at their will with little to no resistance. Which at the time were likely their only goals.

The Wraith likely found no reason to waste their time or resources trying to salvage Atlantis especially when they don’t have the Ancient gene - so much of the equipment would have been useless to them anyway. They had their own technology which was working for them just fine - after all they just defeated the Ancients. The only reason Atlantis eventually became important to the Wraith was that with the SG contingent there they realized it held the information that could direct them to Earth – a rich new feeding ground. And in current time with the Pegasus human population too low to meet their feeding needs finding Earth was a means for survival. Hence now their was a reason for them to get to Atlantis’s resources.
            granted the were the ultimate power in the galaxy, but only untill the Lanteans or anyone else for that matter found Atlantis and was able to power it up. and then they were vunerable again. for al the wraith knew, the lanteans left to get more zpms, and then could have come back to atlantis.

i dont get why the wraith would leave an enemy stronghold (becasue thats what atlantis was) intact, knowing full well the lanteans could at any minute return

Comment

Originally posted by stargatefan234 View Post

Wraith alergy to water??? a queen swam from her hive to the drilling platform easily enough, and that was under immense pressure that would have been deadly to humans
              Wraith allergy to water??? Do you mean the fact that salt water is poisonous to Iratus bugs? I'm not sure if that holds true to the Wraith as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carpentersam/
              MY ARTWORK -- ALL SIGNATURES BY HERMIIOD

Comment

Originally posted by Hermiiod View Post
                Wraith allergy to water??? Do you mean the fact that salt water is poisonous to Iratus bugs? I'm not sure if that holds true to the Wraith as well.
                i can only assume thats what tsjr meant

Comment

"the lanteans left to get more zpms"

There's a flaw in the slaw. Why would the lanteans have to leave to get more ZPM's. Aren't they the ones that MADE that technology in the first place?? Granted, it likely wasn't an easy thing to do, but I'm sure they found a way to make the ZPM, and wouldn't have to chase them down. If the ZPM's didn't last that long, I'm sure they would have made PLENTY of them to use in case of an attack.

Comment

Originally posted by INeedAlover View Post
                    "the lanteans left to get more zpms"

There's a flaw in the slaw. Why would the lanteans have to leave to get more ZPM's. Aren't they the ones that MADE that technology in the first place?? Granted, it likely wasn't an easy thing to do, but I'm sure they found a way to make the ZPM, and wouldn't have to chase them down. If the ZPM's didn't last that long, I'm sure they would have made PLENTY of them to use in case of an attack.
                    ok, "get more zpm's" was bad, but my point still stands, for all the wraith knew the lanteans left with the intention of coming back. why would they leave an atlantis intact?

Comment

One of the reasons that the wraith left the city alone is the fact that they still had no way of getting to it. With atlantis under water the wraith weapons were not doing alot of damage to the shield so their is no telling how long it would have taking them to make the shield fail. Once the shield was down(as far as the wraith new) the city would still be on the bottom of the ocean and useless to the wraith, who could not use most of the technology any way. Besides the wraith just got through kicking the crap out of the ancients and knew that if the ancients did come back they could defeat them again.

Comment

Because maybe it was low enough to completely dissipate the energy? I can't imagine energy weapons going through water very well.

Comment

Originally posted by RepliVeggie View Post
                          Because maybe it was low enough to completely dissipate the energy? I can't imagine energy weapons going through water very well.
                          Also their wasn't much incentive to attack Atlantis. Food supply was good in Pegasus and they didn't know about Earth
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

maybe they used the tactic of making the wraith think it is destroyed like the expedition did

Comment

Originally posted by EdenSG View Post

The thing is there weren't any signs the Ancients had abandoned the city. The Ancients weren't fighting back, they were simply submerged under the ocean. Once the Ancients left, there would be no one else recycling ZPMs, and the city shield would crack, leaving Atlantis free for the Wraith to salvage whatever.

Comment

Working...
                              X