Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Explain to the...

not native speaker of the english language:

What the hell does THUNKING, WHUMPING and all that mean? (my Dictionary comes up empty, so this has to be fanfiction slang...so, what does it mean?)

greetings LAX
    ps: if you know anymore of this FF-Slang words, please post them with an explanation
    pps: Do laugh at the "stupid" not knowing german ok? ^^

Originally posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
    not native speaker of the english language:
    What the hell does THUNKING, WHUMPING and all that mean? (my Dictionary comes up empty, so this has to be fanfiction slang...so, what does it mean?)
    This is fanfiction slang, it's normal you don't know them.

Thunk is the noise you make when you see a character so awesome and sexy and wonderful that you faint and your head hits the ground.

Whump is when a character is hurt, either physically or emotionally. The point of whump is not sadism towards a character you hate, but on the contrary, it's either showing a character you love overcome adversity or making him vulnerable and in need of comfort.

Fanlore has an interesting glossary, although they don't have a page about thunk (perhaps it is Gateworld-specific?)
    My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
    Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for explaining - even though I read the Jr/Martouf thunk thread, I remember it took me more than 6 months before I realised what the thunk in the title meant As for whump - I have always wondered what that was as well.
      sigpic

[Save Martouf/Lantash in the movies!] | My fics on Fanfiction.net | My fics on Symbiotica

Comment

Originally posted by Hathor_girl View Post
        Thanks for explaining - even though I read the Jr/Martouf thunk thread, I remember it took me more than 6 months before I realised what the thunk in the title meant As for whump - I have always wondered what that was as well.
        You're welcome. I didn't guess it alone, I read it somewhere around here.
        My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
        Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X