Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate - About.com: Joseph Mallozzi Interview

At About.com's SciFi/Fantasy Guide:

(Please follow the link for the complete four-page interview.)

Interview: Stargate Writer-Producer Joseph Mallozzi

The franchise mainstay ponders the end of 'Atlantis' and the dawn of 'Universe'

By Mark Wilson, About.com

Joe Mallozzi and his producing/writing partner Paul Mullie have helped shape the Stargate franchise for the better part of a decade, rising to become jointly responsible for the production of the last two seasons of Stargate Atlantis. In this interview Mallozzi reflects on his years with Stargate, what he got to do -- and didn't get to do -- with Atlantis's fifth season and what his hopes were for a sixth, and the future of the franchise as he helps launch its third series, Stargate Universe.

A brief excerpt:

Talking of Universe, you've said it's going to "blaze a bold, new path for the franchise." Given the constraints of studios and network TV, what does that mean exactly?

The nice thing about MGM is, I wouldn't say they've been hands-off but they've let them do their thing. And while the network has been a little more involved in the show's creative development they've pretty much left it up to Brad and Robert -- Robert honed the original vision. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to step on them. On the one hand it's something that fans of the Stargate franchise will enjoy, because there are all those familiar elements for them, there's still going to be adventure.

But on the other hand, it's going to be a little bit more -- I don't want to use the word "space opera," but it is more relationship-based, it is more arc-driven, it's less monster- or situation-of-the-week. We're focusing less on -- in fact, we're not even focusing at all on going to the planets and meeting the humanoid, English-speaking aliens. It's less that focus on Our Hero and more on an ensemble cast. The past month or so have just been watching endless, endless auditions trying to cast these parts. We're almost there -- at this point we're casting a dozen or more major roles. It's exciting, introducing new characters, and starting something in a sense similar, but fresh as well.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

oh wow. the 3rd sg1 movie and the weir situation... wow.

Originally posted by morjana View Post

Interview: Stargate Writer-Producer Joseph Mallozzi

The franchise mainstay ponders the end of 'Atlantis' and the dawn of 'Universe'

By Mark Wilson, About.com

Joe Mallozzi and his producing/writing partner Paul Mullie have helped shape the Stargate franchise for the better part of a decade, rising to become jointly responsible for the production of the last two seasons of Stargate Atlantis. In this interview Mallozzi reflects on his years with Stargate, what he got to do -- and didn't get to do -- with Atlantis's fifth season and what his hopes were for a sixth, and the future of the franchise as he helps launch its third series, Stargate Universe.

A brief excerpt:

Talking of Universe, you've said it's going to "blaze a bold, new path for the franchise." Given the constraints of studios and network TV, what does that mean exactly?

The nice thing about MGM is, I wouldn't say they've been hands-off but they've let them do their thing. And while the network has been a little more involved in the show's creative development they've pretty much left it up to Brad and Robert -- Robert honed the original vision. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to step on them. On the one hand it's something that fans of the Stargate franchise will enjoy, because there are all those familiar elements for them, there's still going to be adventure.

But on the other hand, it's going to be a little bit more -- I don't want to use the word "space opera," but it is more relationship-based, it is more arc-driven, it's less monster- or situation-of-the-week. We're focusing less on -- in fact, we're not even focusing at all on going to the planets and meeting the humanoid, English-speaking aliens. It's less that focus on Our Hero and more on an ensemble cast. The past month or so have just been watching endless, endless auditions trying to cast these parts. We're almost there -- at this point we're casting a dozen or more major roles. It's exciting, introducing new characters, and starting something in a sense similar, but fresh as well.
    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post

Thanks for this Morjana. I was really interested in what he had to say about Atlantis and there was a good answer on the Sheppard character. I like the value he places on the fans here too. Nice to see.
      sigpic

Comment

Good interview.
        There are only 10 types of people in the world
        Those who understand binary
        and those who don't.

Comment

Great interview, so well done Joe I particularly liked Joe's candour here, especially about SGA's cancellation, the fan reaction to it, and SGU's greenlighting. PR nightmare that was, methinks! Hey, I worked in PR, so I do have a little knowledge in that field!

I loved what he said about Sheppard and his character, but as a Sheppard fan I'm disappointed those thoughts and insights he had weren't seen on screen. All in all an enjoyable and enlightening read.

The only thing which disturbed me, was the perception on his part that SGU is a marry of perhaps Lost and BSG. I don't like either show, so SGU it seems, won't be my thing. Then again I guess I'm not in the demographic MGM et al are vying for. Shame really, because I have quite a nice disposable income... oh well, MGM's and SciFi's loss is someone else's gain, right?
          sigpic

Comment

Linzi I thought you knew better not to listen to spin. TPTB are just listing those series in comparasion to SGU because they are big series in the eyes of the critics
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

The things I keep hearing about SGU almost make me think it is going to be good.

Comment

Working...
              X