The Enemy Within (102)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Major Fischer
    Anyone else notice how.... excitable Hammond seems to be about, well, everything in this episode? Or annoyed. And Hammond also seems really cold and lacking in the basic compassion he shows later in the series.
    Maybe he was happy he finally had gotten the SGC command position so he could do his part in keeping the timeline intact (in relation to S2’s 1969)???? (*laughs* and to get back his $ ‘loan’ to the team? )
    Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
    My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by LMichelle
      Too bad they killed off Kawalsky. I enjoyed the Jack/Kawalsky banter.
      As for me… I liked Kawalsky too. He had more presence and humor than some of the colonels TPTB foisted on us later (Reynolds, etc.) I know it surprised me that they killed him off in the 2nd episode. But I was happy they brought him back in later eps (the GameKeeper, Point of View….), even if they were AU or VR.
      Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
      My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Im kind of sad that Kwalsky is dead but atleast he comes back for a couple guest appearnces.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
          Anyone else notice how.... excitable Hammond seems to be about, well, everything in this episode? Or annoyed. And Hammond also seems really cold and lacking in the basic compassion he shows later in the series.
          I noticed that too. However, i think its a good thing, it shows that there's been character development and that Hammonds experiences through the series have made him a better person.

I agree that its a shame they killed Kawalsky. He was a good character - in Children of the Gods he seemed easily as good as Sam or Teal'c or Hammond character-wise.

McKay: In military parlance surprise... is an element on our side.

Comment

I started regularly watching Stargate in season six and realized I had a lot to catch up on. So I used my family's brand new Netflix membership to rent the first season DVDs. When I saw CotG I was like "Hey cool, I remember Kawalsky from the movie! Its cool the character is in the TV show now. I wonder why I haven't seen him in earlier ep.s. He seems really likable." Boy was I surprised when they killed him off . It was one of my first SG shock moments. I really found it unfair that he only got to be alive for 3 ep.s but I'm glad they brought him back a few times since.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
            Spoiler:

Comment

That was 2 eps, CotG is one episode. (officially)
              FOR PETE'S (no, not THAT Pete) SAKE, THE ABOVE POST (if offensive in anyway) WAS MADE IN JEST!

Comment

I thought the episode was a great way to broaden our understanding of the Goa'uld
                Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini => three of the world's worst dictators.

Also failed artist, failed priest, and failed grade-school teacher.

What we should learn: Don't trust artists, be wary of priests, and fear your teachers!

Comment

Did anyone else notice that O'Neill calls Kawalsky by 2 different first names....at least what I remember...he calls him John and Charlie/Charles.
                  It makes no difference what you do to me. But know this, the Ori are all-seeing.
                  [long pause] They are already aware of this affront to their eminence, and shall strike down those who dare to defy them.
                  Nothing yet. You?
                  Drawing a blank. A little thirsty.
                  That doesn't count
                  No, it doesn't.

Comment

A review after seeing 7 seasons, then re-watching:

Things got much calmer in later episodes. It was kind of surprising to see so many shouted orders for a simple Goa'uld attempted invasion.

So much for my first impressions; on to other things...

There was some very good Jack development in this episode. I'm not talking so much about the friendship between Jack and Kowalsky as I am talking about the first hints of Jack's strong sense of right and wrong. I loved the contrast shown between him and Kennedy. (Personally, I thought Kennedy made some good points re the proposed operation on Kowalski, but Jack and Hammond were still in the right).

Hammond, also, starts to show himself as somebody who will stand up for his people, and who has quite a lot of integrity of his own (as opposed to in CotG, where his rather senseless anger towards Daniel kind of put him in bad-guy territory for a little while). I loved the way he dressed down Kennedy in this episode.

Teal'c was the one who got the most development in this episode. I thought they did it rather well, although in retrospect it's was kind of strange to see him so stiff. I'd never realized that he's changed so much over the years. (It was also kind of strange to see him so thin...)

Even Sam had some good development - it's nice to go back to the seasons where she was a competent professional. Although she seemed a little too helpless during the hostage situation - could be because of a Goa'uld's superior strength. Or it could be because the writers hadn't given her strong martial arts skills yet. Haven't decided.

And on to the negative: I love Daniel. He's by far my favorite character. Watching him grow, intellectually, tactically, spiritually, and ethically (even when it seems that he can't possibly become any more ethical) is one of the greatest things about this show. But even I found his single-mindedness in this episode kind of... what's the word I'm looking for... annoying. I mean... Kowalsky was his friend. He should have some concern for Kowalsky for his own sake, not just because of what a successful operation could mean for Sha're!

Was kind of sad to see Kowalski go. Good man. Even if we only saw this episode, we could still tell that from his reactions to the news of what he'd done during his blackouts. Dramatic, and introduced the "take as host" threat very well. But it sacrificed a good character to do so.

Plot was ok. Had some excitement (see above re shouted orders over something that would eventually become commonplace, but at the moment is still new).

(ETA something I forgot last night): Plot had a one glaring hole, though... at one point, Daniel goes to rest, finds a dead body, and then... nothing. No mention of the body for the rest of the episode, except for one part where Jack tells Kowalsky that one person is dead. If it weren't for that, I might have thought that Daniel disposed of the body himself without telling anybody. Also, the death might have had a bit more impact if the doctor had... I don't know... a name...(/ETA)

6 of 10.
                    Last edited by Katerine; 03 April 2005, 06:48 AM.

Many thanks to blingaway for the sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee
                      It's very difficult for a new show to hit the ground running, and so many fail to even start walking, Space, Above and Beyond, for example. I have to admit that I didn't start watching SG-1 until the second series, I'd tried a couple of the first series, and didn't really get the point.
                      Actually, I think SG-1 hits a stride pretty quickly, especially building dynamic among the team.

I also liked Kowalsky and would have liked to see him stick around. Sure, we'd see less of him, with him having his own team. but from time to time, he could show up.

Comment

Having watched the movie a couple of times, I wouldn't agree that Daniel and Kawalsky are necessarily good friends. Yes, they fought together, which tends to create bonds between people, but Kawalsky treated Daniel like **** in just about every interaction they had until the end. Forex, he was the one who threw the suitcase at his head. And EW takes place within a day or so of CotG, so it's not like the two had time to bond then. So I don't find it surprising that Daniel, having lost his beloved wife just a few days earlier, is more concerned about what the operation would do for her than he was about a guy he probably had ambiguous feelings for and hardly knew.
                        My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
                        -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
                        -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
                        -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by zats
                          Poor Kawalksi! He was cool!
                          b. Why'd Warner do the procedure instead of Janet? My Da swears that she's one of the nurses in the OR--but I can't tell.
                          As far as I recall, Warner was the chief surgeon at that time.. and Fraiser wasn't around until after this.
                          The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

After Children of the Gods I was guessing that Kawalsky would act as a spy and saboteur within the SGC for some time before being found out. Didn't think this episode would be the end of him. Really, though, this felt like an extension of the pilot. It's like "OK, so we set up the basics of the SGC, the Goa'uld, and gate travel. Now we'll establish how sneakily a Goa'uld can hide in its host, and how difficult it is to purge. Also we must further establish Teal'c as a good guy so he can be on SG-1."

Originally posted by Beatrice
                            Having watched the movie a couple of times, I wouldn't agree that Daniel and Kawalsky are necessarily good friends. Yes, they fought together, which tends to create bonds between people, but Kawalsky treated Daniel like **** in just about every interaction they had until the end. Forex, he was the one who threw the suitcase at his head.
                            That was Ferretti. Kawalsky did his share of screaming and shoving, though.

Comment

Originally posted by KorbenDirewolf
                              As far as I recall, Warner was the chief surgeon at that time.. and Fraiser wasn't around until after this.
                              Yeah, I don't think she mad her first appearance until 'Broca Divide' a bit later in the season.

This episode, wasn't fantastic, but then again it wasn't awful. Pretty average. But when you take into account that it was only the second episode, and things were only just getting started,and characters were only just being introduced, it becomes understandable

Comment

It was okay it got rid of Kawalsky who was a pain in the butt!

Comment

Working...
                                X