The Enemy Within (102)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Harlan's Speechwriter View Post
    I was suprised to see Kawalsky exit the show so early on; the actor's performance in this episode was great. I've only seen up to disc 2 of Season 2, but I do wonder whether Kawalsky's character would have proved to be too similar to O'Neil's for the purpose of sustaining the series. I've seen one of Kawalsky's reappearances, I'm looking forward to any others.

I was also a bit surprised that more people weren't taken over by Goaul'd in the heat of the battle.
    With regards to Kawalsky, you are probably right. The team that went through the gate in the movie were primarily the typical O'Neill soldier types although movie Jack was in his cold, distant and suicidal phase in the beginning of the movie. If I am not mistaken, Kawalsky and Feretti were the ones that survived the attack of Ra's forces so for continuity's sake, they were also brought in the series, albeit as secondary characters.
    Where it all began.

sigpic

"It’s not DOOR to HEAVEN. The proper translation is…STARGATE." Daniel Jackson

"What the hell is that?" Daniel Jackson

"Your “Star Gate.” " Catherine Langford

Stargate (Movie)

Comment

Has feretti been seen since?

Comment

yeah a number of times in season 1 and possibly 2 but i'm not sure. he took over sg2 after kawalski.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi Knight Cameron Mitchell View Post
          Major Kawalsky will still be one of my favorite recurring character, i wish he would not get killed so early in the show and could stay with the series longer, it was nice to see him alive in Season 3 Point of View and there's still a chance that he could be in one of the SG-1 movies maybe he could come back alive or a guest appearance in Atlantis, unless he might have a son Dominic from Season 5 Rite of Passage
          Unfortunately I doubt that Charles Kawalsky will ever make another appearance in the Stargate universe ever again. He has only ever been apart of, "Stargate" the movie, Children of the Gods, The Enemy Within, The Gamekeeper, Point of View, and Moebius: Part 2. Thats 6 episodes out of the entire 10 seasons of SG-1. He has never made an appearance on a Atlantis episode, and he probably never will. Even though the new movies might have time travel in them, the chances of seeing him again are slim to none at best.

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
          The only way i can see him coming back in the films is continuoum, since he would have not joined the stargate program and ergo would not have died.
          Number one, that is kinda a spoiler.

Number two, IMDB has no record of Jay Acovone being a part of the cast. Check it out yourself http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0010264/

Originally posted by Vhladynineer View Post
          With regards to Kawalsky, you are probably right. The team that went through the gate in the movie were primarily the typical O'Neill soldier types although movie Jack was in his cold, distant and suicidal phase in the beginning of the movie. If I am not mistaken, Kawalsky and Feretti were the ones that survived the attack of Ra's forces so for continuity's sake, they were also brought in the series, albeit as secondary characters.
          Exactly, however I wouldn't call them secondary characters as much as I would call them transitional characters.

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
          Has feretti been seen since?
          Yes in both "Within the Serpent's Grasp" and "Shades of Grey"

Originally posted by FenRiR Ragnarok Warlord
          A friend once mentioned this to me... I didn't believe that a show as great as stargate sg-1 would make such a simple mistake!!!!

So I obviously watched the episode to see if he was right... I couldn't have been paying much attention when I first watched it... Though I have to admit it's not the best of epps..
          I doubt TPTB ever would make that mistake twice, but if they have I would be really interested to know about it.
          sigpic

Comment

poor kawalski!

Comment

I liked this episode as well cuz we got 2 kno a little bit more about teal'c and his personality. I was hoping they would b able 2 remove the goa'uld from kowalsky, but the whole episode i had a feeling it wasn't gonna happen. I liked kawalsky and was sad 2 c him die, but in the end sg1 got teal'c 2 join them officially so that was nice.

Comment

From information I have seen the reason Kawalski was killed off in "The Enemy Within" was because he already had another TV deal lined up and didn't want to stay on board. He was given a choice to remain with SG-1 or move on to the other project. He chose the latter. While I don't know which TV series he went to or even if that is true there is precedent for this kind of thing. In 1974 McLean Stevenson was up for contract renewal for his character of Colonel Henry Blake in MASH. At the time he had to decide between staying on or going to another production with another network. After a great deal of negotiations with CBS and Larry Gelbart, Stevenson chose to walk as he believed MASH would not stay on the air very long. The studio felt betrayed and thus added that shocking final scene in his last episode where Radar explains in the OR his plane was shot down and his character was killed. Unfortunately for Stevenson his prediction was not entirely accurate (if I may borrow a phrase from Col. O'Neill). MASH would go on to win critical acclaim, numerous emmys and enjoy top 3 ratings for another nine years. Thats Hollywood. It happens.
                "Colonel listen to me. Speech is thought verbalized. Languages are codes. I'm a linguist. I'm a codebreaker. Don't you see? If I can do this I can read their minds."

Comment

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Wizard of Oz reference in this episode. It was the first one ever. “That’s right Dorothy, it was all a dream.”

Overall, pretty good. Too bad Kawalsky had to go.

7/10

Full Review: http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/2...my-within.html
                  My attempt to watch every episode of SG-1 and Atlantis this summer:
                  http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Again, I'm rewatching all episodes after I've seen the entire SG-1 series, and then letting myself forget every little detail before I rewatch it.

In this episode, I think the main point was that we (the audience) were already supposed to be somewhat attached to Kawalsky since the character was in the original Stargate movie, and that being said, he was picked by the writers to be sacrificed, since we liked him, so that we would always know from now on that the SGC protocol would be to check the SG teams for evidence of a Goa'uld presence. After this episode, we now place our faith into the SGC's ability to protect itself from a direct Goa'uld infestation. I think that was the whole point of this episode.

I also think that Jack figured out that the radiation from a Stargate would probably kill a Goa'uld just because the radiation from a Stargate is just that dangerous to any living things on Earth. The SGC always has a rad team sweep in to clean up after an SG team returns. He knew Kawalsky died on the surgical table after the Goa'uld must have gained control. The Goa'uld threat had to be eliminated, so he told Teal'c to hold him there on purpose, knowing the wormhole radiation would vaporize said threat.
                    StarshineRoxie
                    A woman that allows herself the balance of cool wisdom and strength of heart.
                    sigpic

Comment

i like this episode. i wish kawalski did not have to die. poor jack. RDA played well the part of a friend and commander fearing for kawalski's life while managing to still be a smartass.

Comment

Originally posted by starshineRoxie View Post
                        Again, I'm rewatching all episodes after I've seen the entire SG-1 series, and then letting myself forget every little detail before I rewatch it.

In this episode, I think the main point was that we (the audience) were already supposed to be somewhat attached to Kawalsky since the character was in the original Stargate movie, and that being said, he was picked by the writers to be sacrificed, since we liked him, so that we would always know from now on that the SGC protocol would be to check the SG teams for evidence of a Goa'uld presence. After this episode, we now place our faith into the SGC's ability to protect itself from a direct Goa'uld infestation. I think that was the whole point of this episode.

I also think that Jack figured out that the radiation from a Stargate would probably kill a Goa'uld just because the radiation from a Stargate is just that dangerous to any living things on Earth. The SGC always has a rad team sweep in to clean up after an SG team returns. He knew Kawalsky died on the surgical table after the Goa'uld must have gained control. The Goa'uld threat had to be eliminated, so he told Teal'c to hold him there on purpose, knowing the wormhole radiation would vaporize said threat.
                        First I agree that learning that the SGC could withstand a direct threat from the Goa'uld was a a main point. However, I also believe that it was about learning more about the way a Goa'uld takes control of a human host. We learn much about the reason for why the Goa'uld need the Jaffa. We learn this both in the interview with Teal'c and in Kawalsky's fight with the infant Goa'uld.

Second I am not sure the you would call it radiation. See what happened was, all of the molecules that made up the back of Kawalsky's head were demolecularized in order to be sent through the wormhole, when the gate was shut off all of those molecules simply ceased to exist. They were not burned by radiation, they were just gone.

I like this episode. i wish kawalski did not have to die. poor jack. RDA played well the part of a friend and commander fearing for kawalski's life while managing to still be a smartass.
                        I think TPTB killed off Kawalsky for a number of reasons, but it was most likely the fact that he just didn't really fit into the puzzle.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starshineRoxie View Post

I'm rewatching a whole lot of SG-1 episodes, but this time I'm going to comment on every one!

I think Kawalsky was killed off because he was the only other character from the original film. I don't think this was because of any attachment we may have felt, but because he wasn't going to be a member of SG-1. He was given his own team to lead, but that team wasn't going to feature on a regular basis. So, if a major character from the film isn't going to have a major role in the series, the character has to go.

O'Neill knew that whatever was pushed through the event horizon would de-molecularize. Shutting off the Stargate with part Kawalsky's head through the event horizon would destroy his head, killing him. The rad team was probably checking that nothing the Goa'uld sent through had caused any major radiation problems. We don't see them in other episodes, so radiation from the Stargate isn't the issue here.

Now my own thoughts. This is a good episode, showing the SGC's ability to defend itself from Goa'uld incursion and their willingness to sacrifice themselves and the base to prevent an attack via the Stargate. It also shows Hammond's willingness to fight for his men, even against people who have been given orders from a higher authority.

What did surprise me, though, is that Dr. Warner thought the Goa'uld had been dealt with, even though the head was still in Kawalsky's body. My first thought was that if the head was still there, the Goa'uld could still be in control - and it was.

I also liked the way Sam gave hope to Daniel by saying that something of the host survives, because Kawalsky remembered the code for the auto-destruct. The Goa'uld could have forced Kawalsky to enter the auto-destruct code, but the information had to be taken from his memories.

Over all, a good second episode, relying on characters rather than special effects.
                          C-D
                          Dragon by name, Cheerful by nature

Sig by *E*K*R*

Comment

Originally posted by Cheerful Dragon View Post
                            I'm rewatching a whole lot of SG-1 episodes, but this time I'm going to comment on every one!

I think Kawalsky was killed off because he was the only other character from the original film. I don't think this was because of any attachment we may have felt, but because he wasn't going to be a member of SG-1. He was given his own team to lead, but that team wasn't going to feature on a regular basis. So, if a major character from the film isn't going to have a major role in the series, the character has to go.
                            What do you base that on? We see Alexis Cruz as Skaara and Erick Avari as Kasuf in several episodes. I think the writers simply didn't see him as being a key part of the series, in early seasons simplicity is key, keep prices down and keep quality up.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by captain jake View Post
                              What do you base that on? We see Alexis Cruz as Skaara and Erick Avari as Kasuf in several episodes. I think the writers simply didn't see him as being a key part of the series, in early seasons simplicity is key, keep prices down and keep quality up.
                              OK, badly phrased. Kawalsky and Ferretti were the only members of the original Air Force team (in the film) to appear in the pilot episode of the TV series. Ferretti was seriously injured in the first episode and doesn't appear again until Within the Serpent's Grasp. He doesn't appear again after that, AFAIK. Kawalsky was put in charge of SG-2. I'm guessing that fans of the film might have hoped to see him cropping up in subsequent episodes, leading that team. I agree that simplicity is key. The producers could have just dropped the character, but that would have raised questions about what had happened to him.
                              C-D
                              Dragon by name, Cheerful by nature

Sig by *E*K*R*

Comment

Originally posted by Cheerful Dragon View Post
                                OK, badly phrased. Kawalsky and Ferretti were the only members of the original Air Force team (in the film) to appear in the pilot episode of the TV series. Ferretti was seriously injured in the first episode and doesn't appear again until Within the Serpent's Grasp. He doesn't appear again after that, AFAIK. Kawalsky was put in charge of SG-2. I'm guessing that fans of the film might have hoped to see him cropping up in subsequent episodes, leading that team. I agree that simplicity is key. The producers could have just dropped the character, but that would have raised questions about what had happened to him.
                                So we agree that they killed Kawalsky off for a reason other than the fact that he was in the original movie. However, I stated that I thought that it was a budgetary type issue. Do you agree?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X