A Clear and Present Danger (314)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by entil2001 View Post
    Those anticipating the new writing staff regime at "Heroes" will need to wait a little longer. The outgoing writers were still in control of day-to-day operations through the next several episodes. Tim Kring didn't bring back Bryan Fuller in any meaningful capacity until more than halfway into this latest volume, so in effect, he was brought in to fix whatever mess is about to unfold.

Not much happens in this episode, which is surprising to say. One can see how the writers attempted to streamline the series and give it a more manageable scope. In essence, in the wake of the Pinehearst debacle, Nathan has turned on his own kind and created a special task force for rounding up the metahumans. It's essentially a federal version of the Company (looks like everything is being nationalized these days!).

As a plot device, this is all well and good, but I'm not sure that it makes sense in terms of Nathan's motivations. Is the idea that metahumans need to be controlled for the safety of the world such a new one? Isn't that precisely what the Company had been doing for decades? The only difference now is that the government knows all about them. Nathan may find himself regretting that choice.

This is all still going in familiar "X-Men" directions, especially now that it's clear that a plane crash will give the metahumans a chance to escape and become the titular fugitives of the volume title. This now promises to become a retread of the second season of "Prison Break" with superpowers. This might work if the writers had any interest in maintaining continuity, but we are still seeing bizarre power shifts and poor story logic.

Does it make any sense at all for Matt to inherit the ability to see visions, ala Isaac? It serves no purpose in this episode at all, and seems to happen to make that available to the writers in the future. Peter's ability, however, is a lot more confusing. Exactly what power did Peter get from that injection in the previous episode? Was it some variation on his father's power? Or was it his original ability? It would be nice to know why, if Peter was shown flying long so long ago, he was so worried about getting sucked out of the plane at the end. Wouldn't it be safer to be out of the plane before it hits the ground?

It also seems to defy logic that Nathan would send his hit squads to retrieve mostly metahumans he already knows from former exploits, including foreign countries, rather than target metahumans known by the Company in local circles. Exactly how did Nathan manage to justify operations in Japan to retrieve Ando? Did the United States government coordinate internationally? That has massive implications that are just plain ignored.

Meanwhile, Sylar is on a personal quest to find his true father. Is his survival after the previous episode's events addressed at all? Of course not. He's simply out there, hunting down a new parent to seek approval from, despite having more power than any other current metahuman known on the planet. As fun as it is to see Sylar tear apart Nathan's hit squad, the writers really need to give the character some stronger motivations.

This wasn't a horrible premiere, but it certainly seems to continue the mediocre trend that has been in effect for the season to date. Unfortunately, the show is facing stiff genre competition. "Battlestar Galactica" and "Lost" are once again proving themselves to be the best shows in the genre (if not across the board), and in comparison, "Heroes" is a mindless pretender. At this point, I have no confidence that Bryan Fuller will be able to right the ship. After all, Tim Kring himself wrote this episode, and it's certainly no better than what the outgoing writers managed to produce.
    yeh how the hell did he get of that island? walk off? or maybe it was sea turtles
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

Comment

Hey... who's the person who died in this episode?

Clare didn't finish waking everyone up, and she left a few people still covered in the chair.

When peter blew a hole in the plane, someone still tied in the chair flew out the Plane.

I'm wondering who this person was? I'm guessing it would be very unlkely that they lived.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
        i had the same thought shame it didnt happen

i dont believe thats the case, i thought it was more the fact that peter was jumpstarting mohinders ability

and he only just acquired tracys ability hence why it randomly activated, and maybe he cant fly while at those speeds

nathan: just curious what abilities do you have now pete?
        But there had to be physical contact with both characters both he could ue their powers. And it was quite obvious that Peter lost the strenght after he touched Tracy but before he activated her power.

Comment

I wonder if it´s simply that getting a new power overwhelms Peters control and leaves him unable to use anything other then the newest power for a while?

Other option is that Peter simply didn´t want to leave the plane and thus tried to hang on since he knew he couldn´t fly as fast as they were going. Peter could have simply been distracted by getting a new power and thus lost the fight with that guard.

Peters empathy ability might be on the fritz due to him becoming more jaded about the world and unable to really relate to people and the only why for him to connect is through direct physical contact.

Though I´ll admit to being worried that the writers have decided to reduce Peters powers since I know that Tim Kring felt that Peter was to powerful in previous seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
            I wonder if it´s simply that getting a new power overwhelms Peters control and leaves him unable to use anything other then the newest power for a while?

Other option is that Peter simply didn´t want to leave the plane and thus tried to hang on since he knew he couldn´t fly as fast as they were going. Peter could have simply been distracted by getting a new power and thus lost the fight with that guard.

Peters empathy ability might be on the fritz due to him becoming more jaded about the world and unable to really relate to people and the only why for him to connect is through direct physical contact.

Though I´ll admit to being worried that the writers have decided to reduce Peters powers since I know that Tim Kring felt that Peter was to powerful in previous seasons.
            this is sort of what i was thinking

paramedic peter: i should have been stronger

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
            But there had to be physical contact with both characters both he could ue their powers. And it was quite obvious that Peter lost the strenght after he touched Tracy but before he activated her power.
            but he didnt intend on obsorbing tracy's power did he? no he was just trying to free her, i dont even think he knew what power she had hence why he blew a whole open in the plane
            Last Movie Watched
            X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
            Life is Strange

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
              this is sort of what i was thinking

paramedic peter: i should have been stronger

but he didnt intend on obsorbing tracy's power did he? no he was just trying to free her, i dont even think he knew what power she had hence why he blew a whole open in the plane
              i never said he intened to absorb her power. i said because he touched her, he absorbed her power. then when he went back into the fight he noticed he had lost the super-strenght. And because he didnt intend to absorb it suggest he has no conrtol when it comes to absorbing s person power when e touches them.

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
                i never said he intened to absorb her power. i said because he touched her, he absorbed her power. then when he went back into the fight he noticed he had lost the super-strenght. And because he didnt intend to absorb it suggest he has no conrtol when it comes to absorbing s person power when e touches them.
                eh i bet its just like what Wyrminarrd said, his empathy is on the fritz and probably for 1 of 2 reasons

he hasnt shown alot of empathy towards others since he and nathan had the fight or
                its just that its synthetic and he hasnt quite learned to garner its potential

i prefer the latter, in any case i acknowladge that your theory has merit aswell and is probably correct
                Last Movie Watched
                X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                Life is Strange

Comment

I watched this episode and liked it a lot but I hope they have not toally destroyed Peter's power, otherwise Sylar can kill whoever he wants and Peter will go back to being a down and out nobody who won't have any chance against the people after him...

I am hoping it is more like season 1, where he could not control his powers properly

and you look at Sylar, who managed to use empathy to gain a power but it depended greatly on his state of mind

I hope that is simply occuring to Peter now, maybe because of issues over his fathers death and losing/regaining his abilities and all the things that have happened to him

I hope Bennet isn't evil now either

Comment

The problem they've always had with Peter is that he had to be incredibly stupid otherwise he'd win in every situation effortlessly and there'd be no show. The new power keeps the character limited enough to not look like an idiot while still having the same idea behind the ability.

Still, powers evolve on the show all the time. So he could mutate back to Sylar's level eventually. Right now Sylar isn't a threat though, so it's not an issue.

Comment

I hope that it is that his powers crazy like back in season 1. I liked how Sylar beat all the agents though and I wonder who flew out of the plane. I like the Hunter though, seems pretty cool.
                      http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/..._DanielSig.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by flameling View Post
                        I hope that it is that his powers crazy like back in season 1. I liked how Sylar beat all the agents though and I wonder who flew out of the plane. I like the Hunter though, seems pretty cool.
                        I doubt it was a main character that flew out of the plain.
                        || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
                          I doubt it was a main character that flew out of the plain.
                          Either way it was funny! I couldn't stop laughing...

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                            Either way it was funny! I couldn't stop laughing...
                            And while I was laughing to my self I was thinking "poor fool, I wonder if we'll ever figure out who's death Peter (accidentaly) killed"
                            http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/..._DanielSig.jpg

Comment

Yes, great start to this half, despite all the terrible continuity mess ups with Matt and Usutu. Looking forward to more!
                              Learn how the Stargate name is being used in a con, and do your part to stop it!

Comment

Originally posted by HorizonSurfer View Post
                                Yes, great start to this half, despite all the terrible continuity mess ups with Matt and Usutu. Looking forward to more!
                                Do explain.

Comment

Working...
                                X