Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40
  1. #1
    Site Admin GateWorld's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,763

    Post A Clear and Present Danger (314)

    Visit the Episode GuideHEROES SEASON THREE
    A CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER
    EPISODE NUMBER - 314

    As the heroes try to return to normal lives, Senator Nathan Petrelli moves to round them up with help from government forces. But Claire learns of his plans and tries to warn his next targets. Sylar begins the search for his real parents.

    VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by GateWorld; May 1st, 2015 at 11:07 PM.

  2. #2
    First Lieutenant Arative's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    926

    Default Re: A Clear and Present Danger (314)

    A good start to Chapter 4. Was great to see Sylar kicking their butts and hopefully the other Heroes don't wimp out and get all preachy about using their abilities to defeat the bad guys like Sylar did.

    I'll be disappointed though if this Chapter doesn't end with Peter killing Nathan. In fact I hope the Heroes head to the White House and slap around the President.

    Can Peter only take one power at a time now? Was that the reason he was hanging on in the plane? Because he said earlier in the episode that he could fly.

  3. #3
    General the fifth man's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.
    Posts
    34,107

    Default Re: A Clear and Present Danger (314)

    I thought this was a nice start to this Volume too. A lot was going on, and it was quite action-packed. Next week's episode should be a great one too.

    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

  4. #4
    Major Shan Bruce Lee's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Location
    the Star City (Roanoke, Va)
    Posts
    2,146

    Default Re: A Clear and Present Danger (314)

    It was a fantastic start to volume 4. The pace felt a little slow in the beginning but it was moving perfectly by the end.

    I liked the Hiro/Ando stuff but I'm curious now weather Nathan's agency is working in Japan with or without their government knowing. They'll probably never touch on that though.

    I guess Mohendar is gonna change his mind about Nathan now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arative View Post
    Can Peter only take one power at a time now? Was that the reason he was hanging on in the plane? Because he said earlier in the episode that he could fly.
    I'll be completely honest, I have no idea what's going on with Peter's power. It was actually Nathan that said he saw him fly though. (I wasn't sure what he was talking about either) I'm guessing he lost all but his initial power so he has to re-absorb them all now... and if that's it, it might take a while to get used to them like it did in season 1.

  5. #5
    Colonel mr_kennedy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Closet
    Posts
    6,465

    Default Re: A Clear and Present Danger (314)

    great episode filled with action 7/10

    Spoiler:
    things i liked

    ando bike
    conflict escilates between nathan & peter
    sylar kicked the hunters ass
    nod to the first season
    peter kicked ass
    nathan the bad guy

    things i didnt like

    the end bit with peter seemed abit stupid, cant he fly?
    no john glover
    ali larter's character wasnt killed
    hiro is still powerless
    parkman has 2 abilities now? wtf, only his too much of a moron to harness the 2nd one well actually both of them really


    oh and how punisher like of hiro and ando
    Last edited by mr_kennedy; February 3rd, 2009 at 03:05 AM.
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

    Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

  6. #6
    Mighty Avenger - Moderator Madwelshboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere between the lab and labour ward
    Posts
    11,412

    Default Re: A Clear and Present Danger (314)

    I enjoyed it. i thought it had good pacing compared to previoues seasons (wasnt to slow or to fast). The capture sence reminded my of x-men 2 (the attach on the mansion) The sences where they were being put on the plain did make me a little sick to my stomach, but tha just means its effective.

    I think it's quite clear that Peter's "new/synthetic" ablity isn't quite the same as his original empathy. It seems that he can absorb one power at a time by touch, compared to spontaneous absorbption within someone's proximity. He had to touch Mohinder to get is strength and then as soon as he touch Tracy he lost the strength and gained her freesing ability. This would also explain why he couldnt fly.

  7. #7
    You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)
    Skydiver's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    54,802

    Default Re: A Clear and Present Danger (314)

    this is getting very x-men in that you have hunted/huntees

    it'll be refreshing to see them work together for once instead of all the separate storylines. those were tiring and hard to keep track of

    what'll be interesting is if peter finally 'controls' nathan by outing him. hoist nathan by his own petard

  8. #8
    Second Lieutenant retiredat44's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    386

    Default Re: A Clear and Present Danger (314)

    Claire gets from the C130 wheel well to the inside.. wtf??

    other than that, this episode rocked!

  9. #9
    Staff Sergeant drake122's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: A Clear and Present Danger (314)

    I like what they have done to Peter and his power. Overall I like the direction the show is going to now. I just hope they don't mess it up... again.

  10. #10
    General Jumper_One's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Milkyway, fishing
    Posts
    26,346

    Default Re: A Clear and Present Danger (314)

    nice start to volume 4 which hopefully will be more interesting than volume 3. some interesting developments, especially Matt's new ability and Nathan and Bennet working together. Claire' still the boring character she's become since s2 imo. Ando on the other hand's probably my favorite hero. Peter should've used his abilities at the end. I mean he can fly, right? anyway looking forward to next week's ep

  11. #11
    First Lieutenant Arative's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2004
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    926

    Default Re: A Clear and Present Danger (314)

    Quote Originally Posted by retiredat44 View Post
    Claire gets from the C130 wheel well to the inside.. wtf??

    other than that, this episode rocked!
    I was half hoping that when Claire was running toward the plane, she ran into the propeller and that was the end of her.

  12. #12
    Colonel Replicator Todd's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The United States of Evil
    Posts
    6,867

    Default Re: A Clear and Present Danger (314)

    A great start to Volume Four! Its already looking to maybe be the best Volume so far. I'm also happy to see Sylar isn't dead, like he will be killed anytime soon anyways!

  13. #13
    Chief Master Sergeant JayShadow's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2005
    Posts
    161

    Default Re: A Clear and Present Danger (314)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_One View Post
    Peter should've used his abilities at the end. I mean he can fly, right?
    No, he can't. Unfortunately they didn't explain that in the episode very well. They even took out an explanation of it before they filmed one of his scenes with Nathan. He can only hold onto one power at a time right now. The only time they really demonstrated that was when he accidentally touched Tracy he lost Suresh's super strength and hurt his hand punching a guard. Out of all the times I wish they were more subtle on the show, this is one of the few times they should have been less subtle. Since it wasn't very clear it kinda makes the ending ridiculous when he's holding on for his life.

  14. #14
    Colonel mr_kennedy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Closet
    Posts
    6,465

    Default Re: A Clear and Present Danger (314)

    Quote Originally Posted by Arative View Post
    I was half hoping that when Claire was running toward the plane, she ran into the propeller and that was the end of her.
    i had the same thought shame it didnt happen

    Quote Originally Posted by Madwelshboy View Post
    I enjoyed it. i thought it had good pacing compared to previoues seasons (wasnt to slow or to fast). The capture sence reminded my of x-men 2 (the attach on the mansion) The sences where they were being put on the plain did make me a little sick to my stomach, but tha just means its effective.

    I think it's quite clear that Peter's "new/synthetic" ablity isn't quite the same as his original empathy. It seems that he can absorb one power at a time by touch, compared to spontaneous absorbption within someone's proximity. He had to touch Mohinder to get is strength and then as soon as he touch Tracy he lost the strength and gained her freesing ability. This would also explain why he couldnt fly.
    i dont believe thats the case, i thought it was more the fact that peter was jumpstarting mohinders ability

    and he only just acquired tracys ability hence why it randomly activated, and maybe he cant fly while at those speeds

    nathan: just curious what abilities do you have now pete?
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

    Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

  15. #15
    Chief Master Sergeant entil2001's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    234

    Default Re: A Clear and Present Danger (314)

    Those anticipating the new writing staff regime at "Heroes" will need to wait a little longer. The outgoing writers were still in control of day-to-day operations through the next several episodes. Tim Kring didn't bring back Bryan Fuller in any meaningful capacity until more than halfway into this latest volume, so in effect, he was brought in to fix whatever mess is about to unfold.

    Not much happens in this episode, which is surprising to say. One can see how the writers attempted to streamline the series and give it a more manageable scope. In essence, in the wake of the Pinehearst debacle, Nathan has turned on his own kind and created a special task force for rounding up the metahumans. It's essentially a federal version of the Company (looks like everything is being nationalized these days!).

    As a plot device, this is all well and good, but I'm not sure that it makes sense in terms of Nathan's motivations. Is the idea that metahumans need to be controlled for the safety of the world such a new one? Isn't that precisely what the Company had been doing for decades? The only difference now is that the government knows all about them. Nathan may find himself regretting that choice.

    This is all still going in familiar "X-Men" directions, especially now that it's clear that a plane crash will give the metahumans a chance to escape and become the titular fugitives of the volume title. This now promises to become a retread of the second season of "Prison Break" with superpowers. This might work if the writers had any interest in maintaining continuity, but we are still seeing bizarre power shifts and poor story logic.

    Does it make any sense at all for Matt to inherit the ability to see visions, ala Isaac? It serves no purpose in this episode at all, and seems to happen to make that available to the writers in the future. Peter's ability, however, is a lot more confusing. Exactly what power did Peter get from that injection in the previous episode? Was it some variation on his father's power? Or was it his original ability? It would be nice to know why, if Peter was shown flying long so long ago, he was so worried about getting sucked out of the plane at the end. Wouldn't it be safer to be out of the plane before it hits the ground?

    It also seems to defy logic that Nathan would send his hit squads to retrieve mostly metahumans he already knows from former exploits, including foreign countries, rather than target metahumans known by the Company in local circles. Exactly how did Nathan manage to justify operations in Japan to retrieve Ando? Did the United States government coordinate internationally? That has massive implications that are just plain ignored.

    Meanwhile, Sylar is on a personal quest to find his true father. Is his survival after the previous episode's events addressed at all? Of course not. He's simply out there, hunting down a new parent to seek approval from, despite having more power than any other current metahuman known on the planet. As fun as it is to see Sylar tear apart Nathan's hit squad, the writers really need to give the character some stronger motivations.

    This wasn't a horrible premiere, but it certainly seems to continue the mediocre trend that has been in effect for the season to date. Unfortunately, the show is facing stiff genre competition. "Battlestar Galactica" and "Lost" are once again proving themselves to be the best shows in the genre (if not across the board), and in comparison, "Heroes" is a mindless pretender. At this point, I have no confidence that Bryan Fuller will be able to right the ship. After all, Tim Kring himself wrote this episode, and it's certainly no better than what the outgoing writers managed to produce.

  16. #16
    Colonel mr_kennedy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Closet
    Posts
    6,465

    Default Re: A Clear and Present Danger (314)

    Quote Originally Posted by entil2001 View Post
    Those anticipating the new writing staff regime at "Heroes" will need to wait a little longer. The outgoing writers were still in control of day-to-day operations through the next several episodes. Tim Kring didn't bring back Bryan Fuller in any meaningful capacity until more than halfway into this latest volume, so in effect, he was brought in to fix whatever mess is about to unfold.

    Not much happens in this episode, which is surprising to say. One can see how the writers attempted to streamline the series and give it a more manageable scope. In essence, in the wake of the Pinehearst debacle, Nathan has turned on his own kind and created a special task force for rounding up the metahumans. It's essentially a federal version of the Company (looks like everything is being nationalized these days!).

    As a plot device, this is all well and good, but I'm not sure that it makes sense in terms of Nathan's motivations. Is the idea that metahumans need to be controlled for the safety of the world such a new one? Isn't that precisely what the Company had been doing for decades? The only difference now is that the government knows all about them. Nathan may find himself regretting that choice.

    This is all still going in familiar "X-Men" directions, especially now that it's clear that a plane crash will give the metahumans a chance to escape and become the titular fugitives of the volume title. This now promises to become a retread of the second season of "Prison Break" with superpowers. This might work if the writers had any interest in maintaining continuity, but we are still seeing bizarre power shifts and poor story logic.

    Does it make any sense at all for Matt to inherit the ability to see visions, ala Isaac? It serves no purpose in this episode at all, and seems to happen to make that available to the writers in the future. Peter's ability, however, is a lot more confusing. Exactly what power did Peter get from that injection in the previous episode? Was it some variation on his father's power? Or was it his original ability? It would be nice to know why, if Peter was shown flying long so long ago, he was so worried about getting sucked out of the plane at the end. Wouldn't it be safer to be out of the plane before it hits the ground?

    It also seems to defy logic that Nathan would send his hit squads to retrieve mostly metahumans he already knows from former exploits, including foreign countries, rather than target metahumans known by the Company in local circles. Exactly how did Nathan manage to justify operations in Japan to retrieve Ando? Did the United States government coordinate internationally? That has massive implications that are just plain ignored.

    Meanwhile, Sylar is on a personal quest to find his true father. Is his survival after the previous episode's events addressed at all? Of course not. He's simply out there, hunting down a new parent to seek approval from, despite having more power than any other current metahuman known on the planet. As fun as it is to see Sylar tear apart Nathan's hit squad, the writers really need to give the character some stronger motivations.

    This wasn't a horrible premiere, but it certainly seems to continue the mediocre trend that has been in effect for the season to date. Unfortunately, the show is facing stiff genre competition. "Battlestar Galactica" and "Lost" are once again proving themselves to be the best shows in the genre (if not across the board), and in comparison, "Heroes" is a mindless pretender. At this point, I have no confidence that Bryan Fuller will be able to right the ship. After all, Tim Kring himself wrote this episode, and it's certainly no better than what the outgoing writers managed to produce.
    yeh how the hell did he get of that island? walk off? or maybe it was sea turtles
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

    Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

  17. #17
    Major Alan Wake's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sipping tea in Digifluid's bed.
    Posts
    2,590

    Default Re: A Clear and Present Danger (314)

    Hey... who's the person who died in this episode?

    Clare didn't finish waking everyone up, and she left a few people still covered in the chair.

    When peter blew a hole in the plane, someone still tied in the chair flew out the Plane.

    I'm wondering who this person was? I'm guessing it would be very unlkely that they lived.

  18. #18
    Mighty Avenger - Moderator Madwelshboy's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere between the lab and labour ward
    Posts
    11,412

    Default Re: A Clear and Present Danger (314)

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_kennedy View Post
    i had the same thought shame it didnt happen



    i dont believe thats the case, i thought it was more the fact that peter was jumpstarting mohinders ability

    and he only just acquired tracys ability hence why it randomly activated, and maybe he cant fly while at those speeds

    nathan: just curious what abilities do you have now pete?
    But there had to be physical contact with both characters both he could ue their powers. And it was quite obvious that Peter lost the strenght after he touched Tracy but before he activated her power.

  19. #19
    Captain Wyrminarrd's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    1,879

    Default Re: A Clear and Present Danger (314)

    I wonder if it´s simply that getting a new power overwhelms Peters control and leaves him unable to use anything other then the newest power for a while?

    Other option is that Peter simply didn´t want to leave the plane and thus tried to hang on since he knew he couldn´t fly as fast as they were going. Peter could have simply been distracted by getting a new power and thus lost the fight with that guard.

    Peters empathy ability might be on the fritz due to him becoming more jaded about the world and unable to really relate to people and the only why for him to connect is through direct physical contact.

    Though I´ll admit to being worried that the writers have decided to reduce Peters powers since I know that Tim Kring felt that Peter was to powerful in previous seasons.

  20. #20
    Colonel mr_kennedy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Closet
    Posts
    6,465

    Default Re: A Clear and Present Danger (314)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrminarrd View Post
    I wonder if it´s simply that getting a new power overwhelms Peters control and leaves him unable to use anything other then the newest power for a while?

    Other option is that Peter simply didn´t want to leave the plane and thus tried to hang on since he knew he couldn´t fly as fast as they were going. Peter could have simply been distracted by getting a new power and thus lost the fight with that guard.

    Peters empathy ability might be on the fritz due to him becoming more jaded about the world and unable to really relate to people and the only why for him to connect is through direct physical contact.

    Though I´ll admit to being worried that the writers have decided to reduce Peters powers since I know that Tim Kring felt that Peter was to powerful in previous seasons.
    this is sort of what i was thinking

    paramedic peter: i should have been stronger

    Quote Originally Posted by Madwelshboy View Post
    But there had to be physical contact with both characters both he could ue their powers. And it was quite obvious that Peter lost the strenght after he touched Tracy but before he activated her power.
    but he didnt intend on obsorbing tracy's power did he? no he was just trying to free her, i dont even think he knew what power she had hence why he blew a whole open in the plane
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

    Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

Similar Threads

  1. The Imminent Danger of WW III
    By vaberella in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: September 26th, 2010, 11:58 AM
  2. Danger island
    By rlr149 in forum LOST
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 29th, 2008, 02:40 AM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: April 19th, 2006, 10:19 PM
  4. Can someone clear this up for me?
    By Havicc Brine in forum SG-1 General Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: July 31st, 2005, 10:45 PM
  5. PJ sheilds someone please clear this up
    By Helo in forum SGA General Discussion
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: July 2nd, 2005, 03:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •