No announcement yet.

J.J. Abrams Says Star Trek Must Escape the Shadow of the Star Wars Franchise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

J.J. Abrams Says Star Trek Must Escape the Shadow of the Star Wars Franchise

The Los Angeles Times posted the second part of their extensive interview with Star Trek movie director J.J. Abrams and here are few excerpts. (beware of minor spoilers)

GB: Is it your sense that you are winning over skeptical fans to this point?

JAA: You know, I would think that especially fans of "Star Trek," which is an optimistic universe, a universe about working together and the possibility of the human endeavor, you would think that people who appreciate that wonderful portrait of the future and that universe would be open to literally going to a place no one has ever gone before. I'm very optimistic that fans of the show, even the pursuits, will be willing to embrace the spirit of Roddenberry and once they see these actors doing this extraordinary work, I think they will have to intellectualize it all, they'll simply enjoy the experience. It's a cliche now to say "Where no man has gone before" because it has been the vernacular now for more than 40 years but if you actually think about it -- and actually remind yourself that we live on this planet and we are creatures inhabiting in this space with undefined limits and with technology that will invariably come -- "Star Trek" is positing a future that is incredibly inspiring. If you can get past the cliche and make it real and relevant, there's something very exciting about that. This is not "Star Wars" which happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. This is us and our future.

GB: Can you talk a bit about the story of this film?

JAA: This story is ultimately about a guy who is full of unbelievable potential but he is aimless, he is lost. He ends up finding a path that takes him beyond his wildest dreams. It helps him find his purpose. That's a great story in any situation, in any culture. There is something about that spirit of innovation, collaboration, possibility, adventure and optimism that is inherent in what "Star Trek" was.

GB: "Star Wars" vs. "Star Trek" is sort of a classic Beatles vs. Stones debate for sci-fi fans of a certain age. You have said you wanted to infuse your "Trek" revival with some lessons learned from the George Lucas universe. Can you talk about that?

JAA: Well, I'm just a fan of "Star Wars." As a kid, "Star Wars" was much more my thing than "Star Trek" was. If you look at the last three "Star Wars" films and what technology allowed them to do, they covered so much terrain in terms of design, locations, characters, aliens, ships -- so much of the spectacle has been done and it seems like every aspect has been covered, whether it's geography or design of culture or weather system or character or ship type. Everything has been tapped in those movies. The challenge of doing "Star Trek" -- despite the fact that it existed before "Star Wars" -- is that we are clearly in the shadow of what George Lucas has done.

GB: How do you overcome that?

JAA: The key to me is to not ever try to outdo them because it's a no-win situation. Those movies are so extraordinarily rendered that it felt to me that the key to "Star Trek" was to go from the inside-out: Be as true to the characters as possible, be as real and as emotional and as exciting as possible and not be distracted by the specter of all that the "Star Wars" film accomplished. For instance, we needed to establish that there are aliens in this universe and yet I didn't want it to feel like every scene had four new multi-colored characters in it. That is something "Star Wars" did so well with its amazing creature design. The question is how do you subtly introduce the idea that there are different species here. And to also do it differently than the ["Trek"] TV shows, which basically had someone wearing a mask sitting in a chair [in the background]. It was the balance of doing what the story needed us to do but also not feeling like we were trying to rip off or out-do what Lucas did.

http://trekweb.com/articles/2009/01/...ranchise.shtml

Reading what Abrams has to say really excites me (even more than I already am) about this film. I think he really gave this movie his all.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I got the feeling that this is potentially a good film, I just do not think it will be a Star trek film pretty much like Quantum of Solice was not a James bond film, it just had the name slap on it. Unfortuantly the same reason I do not like QOS will most likely be the same reason I will not like this film.

The problem is with even taken hint of using star wars ideas, was that Starwars was all about fighting one side opposing a other side, good vs evil. A pretty basic premise.

Why Star trek got a much broader view which is to go where no man has gone before, to explore the cosmos, encountering alien species, learning and gaining knowledge. This is why I personally love the the motion picture and the shear scale of what they were trying to achieve, V'ger is one of my favourite alien in star trek and personally I think the graphics hold up better than SW first film does today.
      Why some of my favourites bits in Insurrection is not the actual space combat or the action sequences but it Jean-Luc Picard exploration of the Ba'ku culture.

The two films above incorporate what I love about star trek and they both incorporate exploration central to the both films.

At the moment all in ST XI is one fairly short action film, I mean it only ninety minutes long film, which does not leave much time for exploration to done does it. And sure thirty minutes will be taken up Kirk being all angry and against authority all.

A other reason why I may not like is what the writers has said and how they keep staying stuff to try and keep us fans happy then the next they say something different and then further down the line they say something else to keep the fans happy.
      An example is, first it a reimagining, then it not, then they say they using quantum phisics to explain then they fail to answer the question whether their explanation is included in the film dialogue. They may of done but read well over comments with that question popping and robert orci never once answer it. I personally think they are doing more harm and good to the film.
      It certainly seem like they are saying things their pr people are telling them to and the slipping up every now again and the it when they slip we get their real view of what the film is.
      Last edited by knowles2; 03 February 2009, 12:02 PM.

Comment

This movie will only be 90 minutes? Where did you hear that?
        sigpic
        "...phu...ah..."

Comment

It was said by JJ in a interview that he does not like films to long films and like them to be around hour and half, it could of been two hours, but I am pretty sure it was 90minutes and that he would be aiming for the same length for star trek film.

Will look up the article for you now.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0796366/

is showing it at two hours. I still square he said it was 90minutes through.

I was wrong, JJ albram does like short movies, http://trekmovie.com/2008/10/14/abra...-and-run-time/

Personally I love long films. It seem like you get more value when you go to the cinema to see them.
          Last edited by knowles2; 04 February 2009, 03:32 AM.

Comment

I love longer films too, as long as they don't needlessly drag on. Especially considering how much it costs these days to go to the theater. I like to feel I'm getting something decent for the money I'm shelling out.

As for this film, I'm really glad it will be 2 hours though. IMO, 90 minutes wouldn't be nearly enough time to tell this story.
            sigpic
            "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
              Starwars was all about fighting one side opposing a other side, good vs evil. A pretty basic premise.

Why Star trek got a much broader view which is to go where no man has gone before, to explore the cosmos, encountering alien species, learning and gaining knowledge.
              Completely right about this. Star wars is more action/fantasy while Star trek is more action/scifi. It doesn't mean necessarily than one is better than the other. Its all the matter of personal opinion. Gattaca was a good movie, but its nothing like any of those 2 franchises (its closer to Star Trek ).
              Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                Completely right about this. Star wars is more action/fantasy while Star trek is more action/scifi. It doesn't mean necessarily than one is better than the other. Its all the matter of personal opinion. Gattaca was a good movie, but its nothing like any of those 2 franchises (its closer to Star Trek ).
                IMO, neither one is better than the other. Over the years, I have thoroughly enjoyed both franchises.

As for Gattaca, that was a great film.
                sigpic
                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Personally I never really got into Gattaca, found it a bit boring, through I really watch once. but the ideas and technologies presented in it were fantastic and how the whole style of it was brilliant.

Comment

In those Star Wars vs. Star Trek arguments I would always be on the Star Wars side. But this movie might even my perspective as it is looking amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                      In those Star Wars vs. Star Trek arguments I would always be on the Star Wars side. But this movie might even my perspective as it is looking amazing!
                      Yeah, the previews thus far have been really great.
                      sigpic
                      "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Working...
                      X