This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robocop : The Reboot. News/Discussion

Speaking to MTV, Darren Aronofsky has promised that he intends to push the envelope with his new version of Paul Verhoeven's classic Robocop.

"It’s not as iconic as some of the other titles out there, so there’s room to do stuff with it," the director noted, although he added that the original movie was a "masterful film... it had incredible insight into the future, and it's still hilarious."

Aronofsky's interpretation would stem from his belief that "every one of us is somewhat a cyborg at this point with cell phones hanging out of us, with implants of all different types.”

While promising to "show as much as respect to the fans," as he can Aronofsky wouldn't be drawn on the possibility of a cameo by original star Peter Weller, nor would he give a timeframe for the movie's release.

http://www.dwscifi.com/news/3045-aro...update-robocop

Sweet-O-rama!

Comment

wow, this must be a record, at least five remakes announce this week, probable more.
      I wonder if I actually going to here of a original film story going into production this week that is not a remake or hollywood favourite new word, reimagined.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
        wow, this must be a record, at least five remakes announce this week, probable more.
        I wonder if I actually going to here of a original film story going into production this week that is not a remake or hollywood favourite new word, reimagined.
        I wouldn't hold my breath if I was you.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

The Hollywood Reporter Risky Biz blog has an interesting column about Fountain director Darren Aronofsky's dilemma: He's on the verge of a deal to direct the supernatural Natalie Portman movie Black Swan later this year, throwing into question his involvement in a reboot of the RoboCop franchise, on which he has been working with writer David Self.
          http://scifiwire.com/2009/07/news-br...ocop-reboo.php

Comment

First viral promotion video:

"A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Remaking RoboCop, eh? This might have potential. It depends on how they handle it. I hope the RoboCop suit doesn't change except to make it more realistic, more believable in function. I'd argue that the original film is iconic. It's everything else that came after it that was forgettable. That said, I did like the two sequels. The TV series was OK. The miniseries... bleh, don't bother.

Comment

As far as the movies went, I only really liked the original. IMO, it will be hard to top.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Seems like a cheap remake, something along the lines of that four part mini series (which was a sequel though) than a Hollywood remake. ED-209 looks crap (not the ugly but awesome of the original ED-209) plus they got the company name wrong so I hope they explain why.

My biggest concern is they'll try to include some of the other product features into Robocop, such as Reactive Cloaking (XT-908) and completely screw it up. Right now, I wouldn't go see this film. Won't be buying it for a dollar either.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                    Seems like a cheap remake, something along the lines of that four part mini series (which was a sequel though) than a Hollywood remake.
                    Not sure what gives you this impression, given how little info is out there right now. I thought the viral vid looked pretty slick, myself. Plus it's starring Joel Kinnaman, Gary Oldman, Samuel L Jackson, and Hugh Laurie...

plus they got the company name wrong so I hope they explain why.
                    I find that an odd choice too. Really though, the entire franchise started with the '87 movie, so I don't see why they shouldn't edit and alter as they like if they're rebooting it anyway.

Now all that said, there's very little information on this movie right now as-is, so I think it would be premature to jump to positive conclusions as well as negative.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Seems like a cheap remake, something along the lines of that four part mini series (which was a sequel though) than a Hollywood remake. ED-209 looks crap (not the ugly but awesome of the original ED-209)...
                      That's because the... whatever the video is? featured CGI where as the original movies featured practical special effects. The only visual effects I can think of in the original movie where the stop-motion ED-209 effects. Point is, CGI always looks plastic and fake when compared to practical on-set special effects.

Comment

I know it's too early to judge the film yet, but that video looked so cheap. One of the best things about the original was how Verhoeven used adverts during the movie, you'd think some of that humour would wear off.

As for ED-209, check the OnmiCorp site. ED-209 looks like KARR from Knight Rider (the 2008 series) and a Reimagined Cylon had a night of passion and produced ED-209. Yes it too early, but I've been a fan of Robocop (original) since I was about 7 and way, way, way too young to have watched, so it's part of my childhood that I don't want to see screwed up like the sequels did.

sigpic

Comment

RoboCop 3 was a train wreck, but what about RoboCop 2? I thought that was rather good. As for the ED-209, compared the preview to photos from the original movie. It looks crap, because it's plastic-looking CGI. That's always going to look crap once you've seen a physical rendition of what the CGI is recreating. I mean, what about Superman Returns? When Superman is saving the space shuttle and the plane... that was incredibly fake looking. I hate it when CGI is used in place of miniatures and special effects, because those always look far more realistic. I mean, I don't mind CGI when it comes to space ships and what not, but you get the idea.

Comment

No, CGI doesn't always look fake and awful. But it gets a bad rep because when it looks best is when you don't know that it's being used at all (or else simply can't tell the difference between it and miniatures), while it's very obvious when it's not at its best.

That said, there's a certain je ne sais quoi about models that I actually do prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                              No, CGI doesn't always look fake and awful.
                              OK, I'll give you this. I was pretty impressed by Lost in Space's visuals (except for Blarp).

But it gets a bad rep because when it looks best is when you don't know that it's being used at all (or else simply can't tell the difference between it and miniatures)
                              While it doesn't always look bad (maybe I was overkill in my prior post), it still looks plastic and simply doesn't match up with what was filmed on set. Horror films of late are guilty offenders. They think people want to go see a two-hour visual effect with loud sounds, bright flashes, and creepy people in the background that the main characters never see. When I sit down to watch a movie, I want to watch a MOVIE. Keeping CGI at a bare minimal works best, because when it's only used when absolutely necessary, it's easier for the viewer to swallow. They know that what they're looking at could only be achieved via CGI, hence it becomes tolerable.

That said, there's a certain je ne sais quoi about models that I actually do prefer.
                              Eh?

Comment

Working...
                              X