V (ABC) - News/Discussion/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SBN View Post
    Not only do I doubt that it will be any good, I can almost guarantee you now it will NOT survive. At absolute best it may make one full season. The problem is some people in Hollywood think that the success of Lost means prime time network can support genre shows. Well, Lost is not only original, but it is an exception to the rule. Same way X-Files was an exception to the rule. Think about the fact that most of these shows never go beyond one season.

Does V really offer something unique or special? Absolutely not. If anything a few will tune in just to see if it is as bad as the original.

Prediction 1# Major drop in ratings after 2-3rd episode
    Prediction 2# Not renewed after initial 13 or 20 episode run.
    Pessimistic much?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
      Pessimistic much?
      It being on a major network like ABC doesn't help though. Most shows, good or not, don't make it because they can't bring in the large ratings network TV demands.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

As bad as Sci-Fi's original movies are, I get the feeling that, if these remakes were on Sci-Fi or Showtime or HBO, chances are they would be spectacular. I think it's a miracle Sarah Connor: Terminator is still on the air.
        Last edited by nx01a; 31 January 2009, 07:31 PM.
        sigpic
        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
          As bad as Sci-Fi's original movies are, I get the feeling that, if these remakes were on Sci-Fi or Showtime or HBO were to bring out something like this, chances are they would be spectacular. I think it's a miracle Sarah Connor: Terminator is still on the air.
          It is a bit of a miracle. Not many Science Fiction-type shows survive on network TV.
          sigpic
          "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I'll admit, I didn't watch past the pilot , but I am glad to see a genre show getting good reviews and staying on air. Let's hope for a 3rd season... and maybe I'll get the dvds and prove myself wrong.
            Still not touching V 2K9.
            sigpic
            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

most remakes suck, I would rather Hollywood attempted to be imaginative once in a while
              ie not re-imaginative

I loved the original Battlestar Galactica as a kid, and recently after ploughing through S1-4 of the reimagined series, I've discovered that New BSG is now in my top 3 shows ever. Sometimes reimagining something, particularly science fiction, which is a socio-political commentary at the best of times is a very good thing. Because a lot of intelligent drama can SOMETIMES lose it's relevance. This isn't always the case, Yes Minister for example, and yet... even then, a modern Yes Minister would bring something new and even more relavant to a new audiance.

If the V remake essentially achieves this, then I'm all for it.
              Pessimistic much?
              Battlestar kicked off on a high note because it was surrounded by experienced writers, Michael Angeli from Dark Angel, Anne Saunders from 24, Dvid Eick from Xena/Hercules and Ron Moore from Trek. They also pirated a lot of other scifi to kick start this series. For example stealing plots from Farscape or movies like Screamers or taking pages out of the cancelled Tom DeSanto battlestar and claiming it as theirs. Come Season 4 you can see they are quickly running out of ideas and running out of other scifi to plagiarize.

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
              It is a bit of a miracle. Not many Science Fiction-type shows survive on network TV.

I don't think V is for network tv, they will be constantly under pressure to get high ratings. I can see the studio interfering and wanting more soap opera to get the Neilsens up. "V"'s creator Kenneth Johnson isn't involved in this "update", so it is probably is going to be somebody else's silly re-imagined vision like Bionic Woman and FlashGordon.

Comment

Originally posted by Bey0nd View Post
                most remakes suck, I would rather Hollywood attempted to be imaginative once in a while
                ie not re-imaginative

Battlestar kicked off on a high note because it was surrounded by experienced writers, Michael Angeli from Dark Angel, Anne Saunders from 24, Dvid Eick from Xena/Hercules and Ron Moore from Trek. They also pirated a lot of other scifi to kick start this series. For example stealing plots from Farscape or movies like Screamers or taking pages out of the cancelled Tom DeSanto battlestar and claiming it as theirs. Come Season 4 you can see they are quickly running out of ideas and running out of other scifi to plagiarize.

I don't think V is for network tv, they will be constantly under pressure to get high ratings. I can see the studio interfering and wanting more soap opera to get the Neilsens up. "V"'s creator Kenneth Johnson isn't involved in this "update", so it is probably is going to be somebody else's silly re-imagined vision like Bionic Woman and FlashGordon.
                Ah yes... 'stealing ideas' because of course Stargate has never done that. All major fiction borrows ideas and puts them across in their own unique way - and I disagree, I don't see S4 as any weaker than S1.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

ie not re-imaginative
                  EXACTLY! How hard is it to figure out for these networks and studios that what really makes a success are the originals, NOT the remakes. Lost, Stargate, Farscape, X-Files, Supernatural, etc.. all have something in common. They are quite original in concept and execution. While certain themes may be borrowed, for the most part they are very original. Before X-Files or Lost, nobody had ever seen anything like these shows. While the concept of Farscape was not in itself original (Robinson Crusoe?) the execution was simply outstanding in it's creative originality.

Originals= Become classics
                  Remakes= Become canceled failures

I couldn't agree more. They sadly seem completely lost on where to not only take this show, but per episode they seem lost. Almost as if they never expected to get this far, and thus have no clue on how to end it. Do they even have an idea on how to end this?

Important to note of course that Bionic Woman sank in ratings and only aired something like 10 episodes. And Flash Gordon, well that turned out to be one of the worst TV shows ever produced. If this was announced for syndication (i.e. TBS, WGN, USA, etc..) the same way Andromeda, Hercules, Earth Final Conflict, then I would say it had a shot. Think about it, Andromeda and EFC lasted full series run of 5 seasons! I remember EFC airing at 1am Thursday nights! Andromeda aired Saturday & Sunday afternoons. Not really prime time now. But the syndication model seems to work well for these genre shows.

Network prime time shows just demand ratings so high that these shows will not survive. Think about if BSG had aired on NBC, and not SciFi. It would not have made it to season 2, yet that show still has a very strong fanbase/viewership, along with raving reviews.

Is anyone really naive enough to think this will survive? It has absolutely NO CHANCE.

Comment

... I almost take it back. Sci-Fi did produce Flash Gordon minus space ships. Grumble. The 80s movie is another fond sci-fi memory of mine.
                    A friend of mine laments that Space: Above and Beyond got cancelled, and she says that was a terrific show. I haven't seen it so I can't say one way or the other, but who knows how it would have fared on cable, not FOX.
                    Creativity and originality [or creatively using a non-original idea] are necessities to make a show work, but so it the medium it's being broadcast by, I suppose.
                    sigpic
                    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                      ... I almost take it back. Sci-Fi did produce Flash Gordon minus space ships. Grumble. The 80s movie is another fond sci-fi memory of mine.
                      A friend of mine laments that Space: Above and Beyond got cancelled, and she says that was a terrific show. I haven't seen it so I can't say one way or the other, but who knows how it would have fared on cable, not FOX.
                      Creativity and originality [or creatively using a non-original idea] are necessities to make a show work, but so it the medium it's being broadcast by, I suppose.
                      Yeah, I thought it was pretty good. Being on Fox didn't do it any favors, that is for sure.
                      sigpic
                      "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Not sure how I personally feel about this, but ABC is re-imagining the '80s miniseries V, and you'll never guess who is shepherding it...and where it's shooting.

OK, maybe you'll guess the last bit, but here's the story nevertheless.

Comment

Originally posted by CinemaSpy View Post
                          Not sure how I personally feel about this, but ABC is re-imagining the '80s miniseries V, and you'll never guess who is shepherding it...and where it's shooting.

I just wish they would hurry up and release the ORIGINAL series on DVD, I really want to watch that show again. Damn good television.

Especially that bit when the alien eats the bird!!!!
                          I believe among your people it is customary to shake hands....... Just a little Wraith humor

Sig thanks to geekywraith *big hugs*

Comment

Originally posted by WraithHumor View Post
                            I just wish they would hurry up and release the ORIGINAL series on DVD, I really want to watch that show again. Damn good television.

It's availble on R2 if that helps?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CinemaSpy View Post

Thanks for posting the link.
                              sigpic
                              "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by WraithHumor View Post

Do you mean the tv series? I have it on Region 1. All V stuff is available on Region 1.
                                Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Working...
                                X