V (ABC) - News/Discussion/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V (ABC) - News/Discussion/Speculation

ABC has given a pilot order to V, a reimagining of the 1980s miniseries about an alien invasion, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Written on spec by The 4400 co-creator/executive producer Scott Peters, the new V will center on a female Homeland Security agent.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...b52a01f319c982

This have been rumor ever since BSG aired. You mean they actually going to go through with finally.

Now I hope they actually have guts to show stuff suicide bombers being heroes and a darker side to humanity. Whole wicked spaceships and a occasional dog fight.

Fact its centre on a homeland security agent dims my hope.

Comment

Wow, this should be interesting. Definitely brings back memories, that is for sure.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

ABC makes pilot order for new 'V'
        Tuesday, January 27 2009, 15:40 GMT

By Simon Reynolds, Entertainment Reporter

ABC has ordered a pilot for a remake of cult '80s miniseries V, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

4400 co-creator Scott Peters has written the script for the Warner Bros. TV pilot, which will follow Homeland Security agent Erica Evans and her son as they combat an invasion from lizard-like aliens.

Created by Kenneth Johnson, V ran as two miniseries on NBC in 1983 and 1984. It also aired as a 19-episode series in the 1984-85 season.

The project is one of several '80s-themed revivals in the works. ABC is also reimagining the 1987 Jack Nicholson/Cher movie The Witches Of Eastwick for TV and NBC has greenlit Lost In The '80s, with P.J. Hogan attached to direct the pilot.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a14...for-new-v.html

Comment

I wonder if they will still show how the visitors eat rodents..
          "You spent 7 years as MacGyver and you can't figure this one out? We got belt buckles and shoe laces and a piece of gum, build a nuclear reactor for crying out loud.."

"...."

Comment

I'm getting sick of remakes

STOP 'RE-IMAGINING' THINGS

Comment

Why? If they're good, what's the problem?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bey0nd View Post
                I'm getting sick of remakes

STOP 'RE-IMAGINING' THINGS

Shakespeare had very few original ideas. Most of what he wrote was a interpretation of classic romances and concepts.

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
                  ABC has given a pilot order to V, a reimagining of the 1980s miniseries about an alien invasion, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Written on spec by The 4400 co-creator/executive producer Scott Peters, the new V will center on a female Homeland Security agent.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...b52a01f319c982
                  I was trying to explain this series to a girl I met. I had no idea how to pull it off since I was like still a child when this series aired. Hopefully it'll be good but I doubt it. I have a feeling the government is leaning on the networks to produce leading roles for homeland security agents.

Comment

I am actually kind of excited about this. I don't know if I should be ashamed of that or not.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                      Why? If they're good, what's the problem?
                      The 80s series "V" is good, that is exactly the problem with many people these days.
                      If you want to contribute as a writer/director you remake bad movies not good ones like Day the Earth Stood Still or those junk remakes of the Alien movies.

The people today are too damn lazy too read books and too un-informed to go out and actually rent the ORIGINAL movie
                      Try watching the original flashgordon instead of the junk remake on Skiffy

Rather than watch some old BlackandWhite Frankenstein or Day the Earth Stood Still, many of the people today are lazy and want it remade with modern actors like Paris Hilton and John Travolta. Remaking or re-imagining an old show is another example of laziness, all the sets have been designed in the original, the sreenplay has been done, the characters have been crated. All they have to do is revamp it with some latex/leather look, stick in J-Lo or TomCruise and give it a hip-hop soundtrack....and there you go. You've got "V" remade all the tv mags will suddenly be calling you genius, master re-inventor etc When instead the spineless critics should be ripping the re-imagining creator apart and should be trashing their unoriginal series

Originally posted by Phenix View Post

Shakespeare had very few original ideas.
                      There is a big difference between being 'inspired' by something
                      and copying something in some big rip-off scheme
                      For example Frankenstein and tales of vampires might have inspired Bram Stoker's Dracula novel.
                      The Day the Earth Stood Still and Star Trek might have inspired StarWars...this kind of stuff is inspiration not a direct copy or theft

"V" remake sounds like they are just stealing the blueprints of an old tv show and just broadcasting it again in some modern look
                      As a matter of fact we are being conned, why not just rebroadcast the old show so people can enjoy it for what it was?
                      Last edited by Bey0nd; 31 January 2009, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Considering how horribly other shows I've enjoyed have been remade/re-imagined/re-boot/re-heated [Knight Rider, Bionic Woman] I'm not holding out much hope for others. And why does everything now have this 'homeland security' spin? It's really getting old. And uninteresting.

As others have said, it's how you take an existing product and re-present it. If you're Shakespeare, then great. If you're some of these tv producers today, you take the old concept, add young actors and a terrorist plot expecting it to magically work. And it doesn't.

V stands out as one of the sci-fi series that shaped my youth in the 80s. I think I'll skip V 2009.
                        sigpic
                        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by Bey0nd View Post
                          The 80s series "V" is good, that is exactly the problem with many people these days.
                          If you want to contribute as a writer/director you remake bad movies not good ones like Day the Earth Stood Still or those junk remakes of the Alien movies.

The people today are too damn lazy too read books and too un-informed to go out and actually rent the ORIGINAL movie
                          Try watching the original flashgordon instead of the junk remake on Skiffy
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ming_main1.jpg
                          Rather than watch some old BlackandWhite Frankenstein or Day the Earth Stood Still, many of the people today are lazy and want it remade with modern actors like Paris Hilton and John Travolta. Remaking or re-imagining an old show is another example of laziness, all the sets have been designed in the original, the sreenplay has been done, the characters have been crated. All they have to do is revamp it with some latex/leather look, stick in J-Lo or TomCruise and give it a hip-hop soundtrack....and there you go. You've got "V" remade all the tv mags will suddenly be calling you genius, master re-inventor etc When instead the spineless critics should be ripping the re-imagining creator apart and should be trashing their unoriginal series

There is a big difference between being 'inspired' by something
                          and copying something in some big rip-off scheme
                          For example Frankenstein and tales of vampires might have inspired Bram Stoker's Dracula novel.
                          The Day the Earth Stood Still and Star Trek might have inspired StarWars...this kind of stuff is inspiration not a direct copy or theft

"V" remake sounds like they are just stealing the blueprints of an old tv show and just broadcasting it again in some modern look
                          As a matter of fact we are being conned, why not just rebroadcast the old show so people can enjoy it for what it was?
                          I loved the original Battlestar Galactica as a kid, and recently after ploughing through S1-4 of the reimagined series, I've discovered that New BSG is now in my top 3 shows ever. Sometimes reimagining something, particularly science fiction, which is a socio-political commentary at the best of times is a very good thing. Because a lot of intelligent drama can SOMETIMES lose it's relevance. This isn't always the case, Yes Minister for example, and yet... even then, a modern Yes Minister would bring something new and even more relavant to a new audiance.

If the V remake essentially achieves this, then I'm all for it.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

If the concept is good, then go ahead with the remake.

Yes [Prime]Minister. I remember that from the 80s. I got so few of the jokes as a kid, but I did love the animated sketch beginning and end credits.
                            sigpic
                            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Not only do I doubt that it will be any good, I can almost guarantee you now it will NOT survive. At absolute best it may make one full season. The problem is some people in Hollywood think that the success of Lost means prime time network can support genre shows. Well, Lost is not only original, but it is an exception to the rule. Same way X-Files was an exception to the rule. Think about the fact that most of these shows never go beyond one season.

Does V really offer something unique or special? Absolutely not. If anything a few will tune in just to see if it is as bad as the original.

Prediction 1# Major drop in ratings after 2-3rd episode
                              Prediction 2# Not renewed after initial 13 or 20 episode run.

Comment

Working...
                              X