X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question to people living in Muslim Countries

hey,

If I lived in a muslim country that allowed a man to marry multiple wives....must I be muslim myself? or does it suffice for me to live there? thanks

Originally posted by ciel View Post
    hey,

If I lived in a muslim country that allowed a man to marry multiple wives....must I be muslim myself? or does it suffice for me to live there? thanks
    I don't live in a muslim country, but yes, you have to be muslim. Depending on the country you also have to prove that you are financially capable of supporting each wife and that you will treat all your wives equally.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chocolate_muffin View Post
      I don't live in a muslim country, but yes, you have to be muslim. Depending on the country you also have to prove that you are financially capable of supporting each wife and that you will treat all your wives equally.
      exactly.
      Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
      sigpic

Comment

I hope that's not the main reason to move/convert to a Muslim faith/country.

Comment

must the wives be muslim also?

Comment

i doubt a muslim man in a muslim country is even allowed to marry any non-muslim women.
            Spoiler:
            Disclaimer:
            I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
            Quotes!
            - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
            - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
            - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by oval View Post
              must the wives be muslim also?
              Yes.

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
              i doubt a muslim man in a muslim country is even allowed to marry any non-muslim women.
              If they marry in a non-religious ceremony it is feasible, but then only one wife is allowed.
              sigpic

Comment

Depends what sort of Muslim country you're talking about, it's not like they're all the same or even similar.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                  Depends what sort of Muslim country you're talking about, it's not like they're all the same or even similar.
                  true, but generally speaking, i'm probably right. not that i claim to be an expert.
                  Spoiler:
                  Disclaimer:
                  I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                  Quotes!
                  - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                  - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                  - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                  sigpic

Comment

true, but generally speaking, i'm probably right. not that i claim to be an expert.
                    No, generally speaking I think you're probably wrong. I don't think there are that many Islamic countries that are that totalitarian.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                      No, generally speaking I think you're probably wrong. I don't think there are that many Islamic countries that are that totalitarian.
                      If you want to marry several women, then the country must be to some degree.
                      sigpic

Comment

How so? What has one got to do with the other? In fact by western standards the legality of marrying more than one woman is quite liberal, it's anything but totalitarian.

Comment

not necessarily. just because the culture is different from our own, doesn't mean it's oppressive or totalitarian. in fact, some of the more oppressive islamic groups frown upon polygamy.
                          And the women in the countries that do allow it, love the idea of polygamy in fact. yes, some women are mistreated by their husbands, but how's that any different than here? the laws in islamic countries that support polygamy say the husbands have to care for their wives, not harm them, and treat them all as equals. basically the have to treat their wives as goddesses.

on a personal note though, i don't support the idea of polygamy. but i'm not going to criticize those who practice it, if it's between consenting adults that is.

Edit:i just found an article on iranian polygamy
                          http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7594997.stm
                          Polygamy is legal in Iran. Men are permitted up to four wives, but only with the permission of the first wife.....
                          Last edited by tombombadil; 10 February 2009, 02:41 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

iran however, is a fairly totalitarian country and i am in no way disputing that fact. the restof my previous post pertained to other countries.
                            sigpic

Comment

You mean the Iran that is holding elections this summer?

Comment

Working...
                              X