This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Newbie
    well the thing is the first sentances are and i haven't seen much Atlantis effects SO FAR, and i don't see anything on the site...so without a direct link i DO NOT BELIVE, and concider it SPAM, SRY!!!
    I'm not sure why not having a link is spam or advertising when surely it would be the other way around?

Rest assured that any spam posts are quickly sorted out by the mods here at GW. If any do pass us by, just drop us an email and we'll very quickly get it sorted out.

Darren has all sorts of wonderful and magical ways of checking the identity of anyone posting here. Mark has posted at GateWorld before, in our old forum home of Delphi, and I've got no reason at all to suspect that he might not be the real deal. I'd say I'm as sure as I can be that he's who he says he is.

But of course you're always right to be sceptical. It is possible for anyone to pose as anyone on the internet. I'd suggest that, even if you're quite sure they're not genuine, you still continue to treat them with the same respect you'd extend to any other poster. Sure, call them on the scam if you think one is being perpetuated, but don't attack them. After all, they could be genuine, as is the case here.
    sigpic

Comment

It's very sad that this thread went this way. It's pretty insulting too. I was hoping to gleem some useful insights from you guys in order to make the show better, but can see that certain members here are more interetsed in other things.

I'm sorry to have wasted my time and this forums time.

Mark Breakspear
      Visual Effects Supervisor
      Atlantis

Comment

I am so sorry that there have been some less than polite posts and that it has made you uncomfortable. Please believe that the majority of us are thrilled that you have taken the time out of your, I'm sure, extremely busy schedule to post here. I find it wonderful that you're taking the time to get our feedback and are interested in what the fans have to say. I'm sorry that you've had a negative experience but I truly hope you won't let a small minority keep you from posting here in the future.

Moriah aka Shipperahoy
        Gateworld Forum Moderator

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by vfxsoup
          It's very sad that this thread went this way. It's pretty insulting too. I was hoping to gleem some useful insights from you guys in order to make the show better, but can see that certain members here are more interetsed in other things.
          Welcome to fandom. Finding out that not ALL fans are Happy Shiny People can be very upsetting the first time it happens. The trick is to learn how to take the bad as well as the good and parse out anything extraneous or overly negative... which will probably include a lot of my posts.

Hope you won't let the experience ruin it for the rest of us. Like I said, the VFX is one area where I have no qualms about the spinoff. VFX, props, David Hewlett (as long as they make McKay three-dimensional), and Joe Flanigan. Those're my reasons to look forward to the show.

Comment

I'm sorry to have wasted my time and this forums time.

Mark Breakspear
            Visual Effects Supervisor
            Atlantis
            Sorry you got that, Mark, I hope you'll hang around a bit more and see that most of us don't SHOUT all the time (except when we're being nasty mods) and that we are more than a little piqued and interested in anything Atlantis related.

To anyone who was less than polite: If that's not how you behave to people in RL, please don't do it here.

If that IS how you behave to people in RL... well, I have thoughts about that but probably this isn't the place.

Major Clanger
            GateWorld Moderator
            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

I certainly welcome your participation on the forum and I think most of the posts reflected that. I'm sorry you felt insulted by some random potshots, I was really looking forward to having a place to ask questions about certain effects we're going to be seeing.

And as Shadow said, welcome to fandom. Some people just don't think before they post and there are others who are (rightly in some cases) suspicious of who they're dealing with on a medium like the internet. I'm afraid you have to have a thick skin sometimes to participate in fandom. But it can also be rewarding and a place to get immediate feedback on how your work is received.

Please consider sticking around. I've always thought the Stargate team did a great job on effects and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do on Atlantis!
              Last edited by keshou; 11 May 2004, 10:52 AM.
              Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

As I said before, I'm looking for both good and bad comments for the VFX, but hopefully all of them will be constructive in some way.

I love to hear that something on the screen elicited a strong response in you, but I ask that you respect the hard work that we do here by crafting your comments in a literate and mature way. Tell me something was the biggest piece of **** because... And I'll be eager to listen... tell me something was just **** and I'll simply ignore it.

I'm probably more thick skinned than all of you (10 years compositing with commercial clients will arm you against the stupidest of comments), so your comments don't offend me, but they do annoy me when you have the chance to voice your opinion to someone who works on the show, and you waste it.

This is obviously aimed at the few of you who always post comments that are aimed to inflame a discussion. The vast majority of you are intelligent people with VERY interesting points of view.

No probs, move on, all is good...

Mark Breakspear
                Visual Effect Supervisor
                Atlantis

Comment

I still can't find the part of your site with something to do with Atlantis on it or am I not looking hard enough

Comment

I'll be watching the premiere at Gatecon in Vancouver, so if you guys make any "mistakes" they'll just be that much bigger and more obvious and I'll be happy to tell you all about them. Assuming I can get over my awe at the stunning visuals you guys have no doubt produced.

Comment

Do you live state side then Shadow
                      I have to travel all the way from uk I will probably go to 2005 if it is still on ..lol

Comment

Originally posted by thor39
                        Do you live state side then Shadow
                        Yeppers. I'm an East Coast Girl. An original d*** Yankee, even.

Looking forward to seeing the Atlantis premiere, despite all my prophecies of doom.

Comment

I'm the visual effects supervisor for Atlantis and wanted to invite you to post me comments on the show's effects. I'm looking for constructive comments that help me understand how people who are watching the show for the first time see what we've created.
                          <snip>
                          We're already at episode 8, and I can't wait to shoot this latest episode, the opening shot will blow you away... It's simply the best thing I've ever personally done and the team I work with is open to the most wacky of my creative ideas... so in return, I'm open to your comments and suggestions!

Fire away, but be kind, a great many people on this show work very hard making these pictures for you!
                          Hello Mark. Thank you and everyone on your team who worked so hard to creat the visuals to entertain us. I applaud the imaginations and creativity of every one of you. Looking forward to see the final product when Atlantis premieres and S8 starts. I'm sure you will get loads of constructive feedback from the crowd here. Generally, GW posters have keen eyes for details and who better to ask, than the fans themselves, huh?

I'm probably more thick skinned than all of you (10 years compositing with commercial clients will arm you against the stupidest of comments), so your comments don't offend me, but they do annoy me when you have the chance to voice your opinion to someone who works on the show, and you waste it.

No probs, move on, all is good...
                          *pinches Mark to test his thick skin*. Yep, tough enough! Glad to hear that you're sticking around to chat or hear our comments.

Comment

If that IS how you behave to people in RL... well, I have thoughts about that but probably this isn't the place.
                            Combine a bit of Miss Manners with that iron spoon! (Yeah, I know, it LOOKS silver, but methinks it packs a bit more of a wallup.

I hope that Mark will stick around to discuss the effects on Atlantis. I've really enjoyed JimmyT's blog and some of the insights he's shared.
                            Nmom
                            Last edited by Nolamom; 11 May 2004, 06:40 PM. Reason: fix quote
                            sigpic

Comment

Mark we can't comment, constructively or otherwise, on something we haven't seen yet.

Check back after the show airs. We'll all have something to base opinions on then. I anticipate a plethora of opinions, nay, a raucous cacophony of opinions! You can't shut the net up, not even with a fire-hose and a butterfly net. No sirree.

Comment

vfxsoup well, aparently your identety has been confermed, and i'd like to apologize...i'm deeply sorry if i have affended you in anyway. it's just that i have an expirience with bad ppl... however it is still hard to comment on atlantis grapix without actually seeing them....Sg-1 graphix are pretty good, but it's still not Star Wars level....i understand that that takes much more $ but hopefully you guys will reach that lever

Comment

Working...
                                X