Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morden. Mister Morden.
    And yes, time will indeed tell.
    'Wilderness' contains one of my fave B5 quotes.
    Female tech: Mr. Garibaldi! It's BIG!
    What did you think of 'Babylon Squared'?
    sigpic
    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I'm sort of wondering--the design of B4... Was it a rejected concept for the B5 design that they found a way to use anyway?

It was....interesting. I can't quite work out whether it's going to be significant, or just a one-off. More than a little puzzled at the Sinclair reveal at the end and the hand that I'm guessing is Delenn's. This is what I like about watching a new series though; not knowing where it's all going
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

In story: B1 ~ 4 were station built with an enormous budget, with B4 being the largest of them all (iirc). Since B1 ~ 4 got either destroyed or disappeared, B5 was built with a small budget (They ran out of money due to 1 ~ 4) and thus was smaller in size.

Out of story: Dunno, I guess it was just designed as a bigger B5.
        Signed,

Gregorius
        Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
        Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

B4 was far more powerful than B5 and had engines and counter-rotational sections allowing it to be move through space. B5, in story, was the budget version.
          As for whether B4 was a concept design for what became B5... No idea.
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Great first few episodes of season 2, I'm thoroughly impressed.

Right now I'm watching 'A Distant Star', the one about Sheridan's friend who commands an exploration ship. I'm a little puzzled about it getting lost in hyperspace though....to this point, it seems as though very large ships can generate their own jump entry/exit points. It seems like more than a foregone conclusion that an exploration ship that builds jumpgates on new frontiers would be able to do it.

So how is it the Cortez can be lost in hyperspace? Just open a 'door' and drop out!
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Another thing about B4...there's more to it, and that episode about it from S1 will be very important in the future I don't wanna give anything away but just keep it in mind it will come up again...

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                Great first few episodes of season 2, I'm thoroughly impressed.

Right now I'm watching 'A Distant Star', the one about Sheridan's friend who commands an exploration ship. I'm a little puzzled about it getting lost in hyperspace though....to this point, it seems as though very large ships can generate their own jump entry/exit points. It seems like more than a foregone conclusion that an exploration ship that builds jumpgates on new frontiers would be able to do it.

So how is it the Cortez can be lost in hyperspace? Just open a 'door' and drop out!
                Glad to hear you're enjoying it. And yeah, Morden will be back and then some!

The Cortez is far too small to be able to make a jumppoint. Terran tech simply isn't that advanced.
                sigpic

Comment

Actually... the Cortez is almost as big as B5. There's a great shot of B5 and the Cortez side by side in the episode. It's far bigger than other jump-capable Earth Hyperion ships, like the Hyperion or even the Omega destroyers.

It's an Explorer ship, meant to go out and, well, explore the Rim and build jump gates in remote places. It must have a jump point generator by the very definition of its job.

Hyperspace is tricky in the sense that, the further away from the 'surface' you go, the further away from known points, chances are you might easily open a jump point into the centre of a planet or a star. Honestly, I'd rather chance jumping into normal space than getting lost in there forever, but...
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                    Actually... the Cortez is almost as big as B5. There's a great shot of B5 and the Cortez side by side in the episode. It's far bigger than other jump-capable Earth Hyperion ships, like the Hyperion or even the Omega destroyers.

It's an Explorer ship, meant to go out and, well, explore the Rim and build jump gates in remote places. It must have a jump point generator by the very definition of its job.

Hyperspace is tricky in the sense that, the further away from the 'surface' you go, the further away from known points, chances are you might easily open a jump point into the centre of a planet or a star. Honestly, I'd rather chance jumping into normal space than getting lost in there forever, but...
                    Indeed! This is exactly what I was thinking!

I'm watching 'The Coming of Shadows' as we speak, Major plot points moving again

I also ordered seasons 3-5 and the movie collection on eBay yesterday. I guess I need to slow down on season 2 so I don't run out of eps before season 3 shows up!

Comment

Gah....I have no self-control. I only have 3 eps left in season 2, I hope my season 3 set shows up soon

I just finished with 'Divided Loyalties'. It was nice to see an appearance from Lyta again, after not really having any kind of resolution on where she'd gone after the pilot.

Kind of a shame to see Talia leave B5 in that way though. She'd sort of come into her own as a rather likable character I though, just to have such an abrupt about-face.

Oh, am I way the hell off base here, or was there something 'more' implied in the Talia/Ivanova friendship? Talia was staying in Ivanova's quarters because of an equipment malfunction woke up, and put her hand out to an empty spot. A couple scenes later and she's asking where Ivanova went in the middle of the night. I don't know how you guys do things (or how things work in deep space in 2259 lol), but when I have a friend stay over, they get the couch. I don't share the bed....

Other things of interest...
                      - Sheridan is sitting on two big secrets it seems. The one with his own staff, regarding President Clark; and with Delenn and Kosh regarding the return of the Shadows and impending war. I wonder how much he's sharing with either side regarding the issues each isn't involved with
                      - Sheridan and Delenn getting close. There's something odd about that. Yet...pleasant.

Comment

Wonder about that scene for a while. Don't obsess, just have faith you'll be told more in a while. You won't expect it, but you'll get an answer.

You're like me when I got 7 seasons of SG-1. That was a fun Februrary.
                        sigpic
                        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

The Talia/Ivanova scene was definitely suggestive. I've always taken for granted that they were lovers, but some don't agree.
                          sigpic

Comment

Watched one more before I went to bed last night, 'The Long, Twilight Struggle'.

Well I'll be damned. The planet does make another appearance. I imagine the original actor playing the old Minbari guy was either unavailable or worse, the new guy did okay. I recognize him from somewhere, don't know where, but I got a good laugh out of how much he hammed it up. Kind of reminded me of William Shatner. Nice tie-in to the B4 episode from last season too, him trying to track down that ratty Zathuras fellow. That was kind of a nice "ohhh" *click* moment for me, though I probably should've put two and two together sooner, what with the spacesuit Sinclair hologram appearing on B4.

The outcome of the Centauri/Minbari war--wow. Orbital bombardment with WMDs was bad enough (though it was nice to see Londo finally seriously objecting to something), but I just couldn't believe he called in another Shadow favour to destroy the Narn fleet. I really didn't see that coming, I expected that he'd finally grown a pair and not done it. I'm a little torn on the direction they took with Londo....through season 1 he just seemed so entertaining, so jovial, so vital. Now he's obviously turned into a shamed, self-loathing shell of what was. I guess that speaks pretty strongly to the choices you make, something Vir's been emphasizing all along.

What's in store for G'Kar I wonder? His world subjugated, his title gone, claiming asylum with EarthForce on B5... His freedom speech in the council chambers was certainly very stirring. He doesn't really strike me as the Saul Tigh guerrilla type, but I suppose there aren't many avenues left.

Only two episodes left in the season....and my season 3 set hasn't arrived in the mail yet. /cries

Comment

The Narn/Centauri war. I admit to sharing that same look of horror on Londo's face when his ships started mass-driving the planet. He's trying to do right, at least for his own people, but...
                              You'd better order 4 and 5 now, cause you're obviously hooked. B5's a hell of a drug. Hell of a drug.
                              sigpic
                              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                                The Narn/Centauri war. I admit to sharing that same look of horror on Londo's face when his ships started mass-driving the planet. He's trying to do right, at least for his own people, but...
                                You'd better order 4 and 5 now, cause you're obviously hooked. B5's a hell of a drug. Hell of a drug.
                                I did, got all 3 to ship together from the same seller (rock on eBay). Unfortunately I had to track down the movie collection from a different seller, so, more shipping charges. That said though, I don't imagine it'll interrupt the flow of the series if I just watch the movies after finishing the series, will it?

I just finished with season 2. 'Comes the Inquisitor' was pretty meh, but another great season finale. I really appreciate that this show doesn't end its seasons on the dreaded "To Be Continued" cliffhangers, but still pushes the story forward in ways that demand resolution.

I'm really blown away that they managed to avoid war with the Centauri, in spite of what happened there. One of those, "count your frickin blessings!" things.

If my S3 doesn't show up tomorrow I might have to resort to....things we're not allowed to speak of on these boards, at least till my DVDs show

Comment

Working...
                                X