Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I started for the first time

Yeah...

A few years ago I bought the first two seasons because they were on for cheap, I hadn't gotten around to it. I know I know, it's one of the best sci-fi series out there. I really should've learnt not to delay from my waiting to watch Farscape and Firefly. What can I say, I'm a slow learner.

Finally got started just the other day. I'm really enjoying it so far. The pilot was pretty painful to get through, but the regular series has been a lot of fun. Not nearly so painful in its beginning as say ST:TNG was. There was an immediate sense of chemistry between the cast.

The characters are very likeable and gel very well. Londo has pretty great chemistry with anyone he's on-screen with, Vir as well. G'Kar is appropriately annoying and entertaining all the time. I really like Sinclair, it's a shame he's only around for the first season.

Very much looking forward to actual plot-relevant episodes rather than these one-offs, but they are nice on their own
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

"And so it begins."

Enjoy the ride!
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

yeah s1 has a lot of stand-alone eps but some of them are important for future storylines. enjoy
      sigpic
      The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Ah, nice one. I'm glad you like Sinclair. He doesn't get that much love, tbh.

Enjoy the show. The best is yet to come!
        "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

It's always great to see someone who's enjoying season one! If you can love those episodes [except TKO!], as I do, then you'll be completely blown away by the rest of the series! Welcome to the fold! Let us know how the viewing's going, and I expect you to be buying the other 3 seasons and movies out of sheer squee, or whatever the correct internet meme is.
          Last edited by nx01a; 19 January 2009, 05:12 PM.
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I just finished with "And the Sky Full of Stars". The opinion I had is already cemented, I like this series. I'll be seeing it through to the end for sure.

I can honestly say I wasn't expecting Darren to be the first reply to this thread
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Now you'll just have to get the remaining seasons.
              sigpic

Comment

Just finished watching 'Signs and Portents'. Wow. Terrific episode.

And not (only) because it had the first big space battle in it. It was just so incredibly foreboding....I don't know exactly what happens in the rest of the series but you can tell right away that this is a very significant episode.

Good stuff, can't wait to see how it plays out.

Comment

S2 is where it gets really hot, and S3 and S4 will keep you glued to the TV. It's an awesome show

Comment

That's true about the later seasons, but "Signs and Portents" was hot enough to keep me glued to the telly!

It was one of J. Michael Straczynski's so-called WHAM! episodes that comes right up and gobsmacks the viewer.
                    "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Absolutely. I'm still convinced, even though I just finished with the painfully bad 'TKO'. I didn't sign on for UFC in Space lol

Comment

It's horrid!

I love that JMS understands that many sci-fi fans love to see stuff blow up and space battles, and writes accordingly! His massive space battles are almost always linked to a similarly massive battle/shift with the characters themselves. His massive destruction is for a reason!

When I watched 'Signs and Portents', I was intrigued by the fact that the
                        Spoiler:
                        uber-mysterious Kosh got into a fight. That and I saw my first Shadow vessel as it slicer beamed a ship in half.
                        Keep us updated!
                        sigpic
                        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Absolutely, that, as well as Delenn's reaction to the same guy. Crazy stuff, very excited to see where it goes.

Watched 'Grail' just now. I was pretty amused to hear the creature making the same noise as the clusterlizard in Lexx

Comment

The boxing bit in TKO is admittedly a bit painful, but I like the episode because we learn so much about Ivanova. And she really improves a lot with the seasons, on rewatching B5 it really bugs me that in the second half of the first season in particular she either refers to her Russian heritage or
                            (Spoiler if you haven't seen Eyes)
                            Spoiler:
                            to her latent telepath abilities
                            all the time.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                              on rewatching B5 it really bugs me that in the second half of the first season in particular she either refers to her Russian heritage
                              Oh lord I know, that was just driving me up the wall.

I finished season 1 last night, good stuff. 'Voice in the Wilderness' was fun, but it struck me as one of those episodes that goes for epic-everything'll-change-eventually, but is really something that'll never get followed up on again. I guess time will tell, but that's really the vibe I got.

Later larger developments were nice as well....the Council asking Delenn to be their leader and her rejecting it in favour of remaining on Babylon 5. Really itches at the 'what's going on with Sinclair' story, though I can't help but be puzzled at how that's going to be resolved with him leaving the show.

The 'shadows' development has me rather intrigued as well.... This Morden (Mordred? Can't remember) guy who seems to be one of their agents, on B5. When he showed up again toward the end of the season I couldn't help but wonder if he just stays on the station. And--if he does--it's a little odd that Kosh doesn't say anything about it to anyone.

When he first showed up he asked around to the Senators about what they want and really it was only Londo and G'Kar that answered. Londo wanted old glories back, and has been aided to this end twice: giving him the Eye, and destroying the Narn outpost. G'Kar wants nothing more than to see the Centauri homeworld burn. The guy's been good to his word to Londo twice, I can't help but feel like G'Kar will get his wish at some point too...

I think I'll start season 2 today.

Comment

Working...
                              X