Mistakes in Space battles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Calhoun View Post
    I mean, we're talking about something as big as an aircraft carrier; they don't exactly turn on a "dime". And in space, when you don't have air resistance to slow you down, once you set off on one path, it takes a huge amount of extra energy to then counter-act that momentum and change your course.
    i contest that statement.

they are at most the size of a united states navy destroyes (into a carrier you could pack a lot more people, weapons, equipment and: F302's (they only have two hangars with what? eight 302's each? making it 16! a carrier has about 100 fighter planes + engines+fuel (for the fighters)+rockets/ammo/spareparts+crew and such) so, the 302 must be a lot smaller (in one episode they beam the whole crew down and it's not that many people (50-100 - try to get an aircraft carrier manned with those....)

about moving: they F-304's are fast (we see that everytime they run away from something, they are agile (seen in "unending") and they have arms all around, so moving should not be a problem

i think it's because a CGI with it moving is harder to make and more expensive (and in some cases, the ship taking damage is part of the plot)

greetings LAX
    ps: they could have done better on this one!

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the Daedalus was still trying to protect the puddle jumper in "Enemy at the Gate."

Comment

yup it was. and our ships are manually controlled. meaning: marks was still buisy with the "evasive maneuvers, ready all missiles" thing when the hive fired.

Comment

Originally posted by Laxian of Earth View Post
          i contest that statement.

they are at most the size of a united states navy destroyes (into a carrier you could pack a lot more people, weapons, equipment and: F302's (they only have two hangars with what? eight 302's each? making it 16! a carrier has about 100 fighter planes + engines+fuel (for the fighters)+rockets/ammo/spareparts+crew and such) so, the 302 must be a lot smaller (in one episode they beam the whole crew down and it's not that many people (50-100 - try to get an aircraft carrier manned with those....)
          Yes, but an aircraft carrier doesn't have to carry it's own life support, so you could have a much larger crew for the same size ship. I think most of the ship is taken up with equipment (missiles, cargo bays, hyperdrive systems, etc...). Not to mention, with advanced technology you probably need less people to do things.
          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

304s have inertial dampeners which reduce part of their mass so theoretically they're lighter than an aircraft carrier. That would explain why Odyssey was so maneuverable in Unending. I don't understand why they don't pull stunts like that more often. Or: head towards your enemy at full speed firing on them with everything you have then open a hyperspace window and exit hyperspace behind them, do a backflip like in Unending and target the engines.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
              yup it was. and our ships are manually controlled. meaning: marks was still buisy with the "evasive maneuvers, ready all missiles" thing when the hive fired.
              I think the obvious thing to do would be stop readying missiles once they saw the ship firing and move a few feet to the left or right... then go back to the missiles. If that's too much for them to handle then, God, we deserve to be wiped out...
              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightfighter89 View Post
                Well once the Asgard beams are installed they rarely have the need to evade since they can destroy a hive ship in the first 5 seconds of the engagement with a few shots. That means that any force less than 3 or 4 hives will be destroyed before firing enough shots to pose a real threat.

In the case of the super hive, they should have evaded. Those batteries looked sunk into the ship and therefore the whole ship would have had to maneuver to track them, which I doubt it could have done adequately. They should have been able to fly circles around it and at the very least force it to run.
                Just because we can destroy them in a few shots knowing in that time we'll lose a maximum of 40% shield strengh is not the point. We should not be taking needless damage when it's obvious a 304 could turn a hive inside out.

They had to take damage from the SuperHive as they were protecting the Puddle Jumper.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                  I think the obvious thing to do would be stop readying missiles once they saw the ship firing and move a few feet to the left or right... then go back to the missiles. If that's too much for them to handle then, God, we deserve to be wiped out...

We don't need missiles online straight away as the beam weapon and rail guns are active anyway. And I agree with you about our tactics. If we can't find a helmsman who can stop readying missiles to move the ship out of the road of a slow cumbersome hive ship then we could be in trouble for future missions.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis10545 View Post
                    It seems like in almost every space battle (especially ones with 304s) their plan off attack is really lacking. By that I mean: Almost every time a Tau'ri-built ship is in a battle, it takes heavy damage when it could have easily been avoided. It occurs in countless episodes like:

"Camelot" - The Odyssey and Korolev just stay in one spot while the Ori ships cut through them in just a few shots.

"Off The Grid" - The Odyssey just stays in one spot when firing at the Lucian Alliance Ha'taks (although it does rotate 180 degrees).

"The Siege, Part 3" - The Daedalus is basically standing still when it faces a fleet of 10 Hive ships and several cruisers.

"The Hive" - The Daedalus flies in a straight line toward the two hive ships firing at it.

"No Man's Land" - Well the Daedalus does move a bit more, it is basically flying straight toward the Hive at a relatively low speed.

"Search and Rescue" - While its shields are lowered, the Daedalus is completely stopped, taking serious damage from a Wraith cruiser.

"Enemy at the Gate" *The Daedalus stays in one spot making it an easy target for the series of shots the Hive Ship fires at it.
                    *When Atlantis arrives at Earth, it only stays in one spot. However, I will give them the benefit of the doubt on that one as citys generally aren't very maneuverable.

-To name a few. The only one where they actually moved and evaded enemy fire was in "Be All My Sins Remember'd" during the Battle of Asuras. That's what made the battle so successful and exciting. It just seems like common sense that you don't fly in a straight line. It's suicide!!!

This is unlikely, but this might be related to the trend of Bald 304 commanders...
                    u're forgetting SG-1's series finale UNENDING...the Odyssey flew to attack the Ori ships and to avoid Ori weapons fire. they also took little or no damage at first b/c of the ZPM.

Comment

Marks wasn't flying the ship. The person to the left of Caldwell flies the ship. Marks is at the station on Caldwell's right. He usually does all the sensor reading, beaming, communication, etc.
                      Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to realize no one actually reads my posts.

Comment

If they moved, then those energy bolts fired by the super hive would have gone past them and incinerated the puddle jumper. McKay didn't fix the jumper's engines until after the Daedalus got blasted.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
                          If they moved, then those energy bolts fired by the super hive would have gone past them and incinerated the puddle jumper. McKay didn't fix the jumper's engines until after the Daedalus got blasted.
                          The blasts were targeting the Daedalus, not the jumper. And besides, the jumper was spiraling off at an angle; it wasn't directly behind the 304. They would have been fine.
                          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

The blasts were targeting the Daedalus, not the jumper. And besides, the jumper was spiraling off at an angle; it wasn't directly behind the 304. They would have been fine.
                            How do you know that the shots weren't fired at such an angle, that if the Daedalus had moved, they would have hit the jumper? The Daedalus did maneuver itself in such a way that it would stand between the Hive ship and the puddle jumper.

Comment

Originally posted by Andru10 View Post
                              304s have inertial dampeners which reduce part of their mass so theoretically they're lighter than an aircraft carrier. That would explain why Odyssey was so maneuverable in Unending. I don't understand why they don't pull stunts like that more often. Or: head towards your enemy at full speed firing on them with everything you have then open a hyperspace window and exit hyperspace behind them, do a backflip like in Unending and target the engines.
                              i like that! if only they would improve their missiles...i bet they're not laced with anything special like naquada or something

Comment

Originally posted by Andru10 View Post
                                304s have inertial dampeners which reduce part of their mass
                                No they don't, they just reduce the effect of the ships mass. The only way to reduce the ships mass would be to cut part of it off. Other than that you make a good point.
                                All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Working...
                                X