This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Col. Frank Simmons View Post
    I would love to see more character death in Stargate. Just don't get rid of RC and JL. Prison Break does it very well, as does 24. No Character is Sacred as far as I'm concerned, except for RC and JL lol. It adds more suspense to the show and it makes you think 'will Bob survive this week because they just killed off Joe the previous episode'
    Maybe, but I doubt they'd kill Bob and Joe within a week of each other.
    Thing is, with 24 and Prison Break, they can introduce new characters whenever they need. A small group of people stuck on a spaceship limits your ability to do that, although from what I understand, there are others besides the main cast on the ship.

But out of all the main characters, I reckon the ones most likely to die are:
    Everett Young OR Nicholas Rush
    Eli Wallace OR Nicholas Rush
    Ronald Greer

I reckon Rush could fill the void as either main science guy (depending on what he's a doctor of), or as the leader of the group.

Edit: The way I see it, the other characters all fill a vital role you can't easily replace.
    Last edited by Jonzey; 17 January 2009, 06:34 AM. Reason: I had further thoughts

Comment

Maybe, but I doubt they'd kill Bob and Joe within a week of each other.
      Thing is, with 24 and Prison Break, they can introduce new characters whenever they need. A small group of people stuck on a spaceship limits your ability to do that, although from what I understand, there are others besides the main cast on the ship.

Yeah I suppose you're right, didn't think of that. It would be good to see something like that in Stargate. I wish that Star Trek would have done something like as well. It adds realism to the series and a sense of danger.
      I love the stuck on an alien planet idea.

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
        Ford didn't die in season 1.
        we dont even know if he died in sesaon 2 (although it does seem likely)

*HATES dangling plot lines...*

Originally posted by Jonzey View Post
        I would think being left behind on an alien planet alone is more dramatic than dying.
        I have to agree with this and actually thought about it when they first talked about how the Destiny jumps into hyperspace on a schedule (or however they're doing it) its feasible that someone could get left behind and that would actually be pretty dramatic. The situation where the rest of them are on board and they know they're going to jump and there isn't anything they can do to stop the jump or help the poor soul left on the planet.
        sigpic
        My Fanfiction: fanfiction.net ** My LJ (Art and Fanfiction): SGAFan LJ

Comment

Theyre on an ancient ship, you know theyre going to pull some magical technology out their ass..

Comment

If you were a stargate Universe writer and you had the oppertunity to kill off one of the regulars, who would it be? For me it would be Tamara.
            sigpic

Comment

I have no idea until I've seen at least a couple of episodes.
              sigpic

Comment

I'd have to be one of the writers, first of all. And, second, I'd have to have some idea of who the characters were before deciding which one I wanted to get rid of.

Comment

from what youve heard at least
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm all for character death within a show as long as it has a purpose and not just killing someone off for the sake of adding drama, because it won't work like that.

The thing is with Stargate, its not really as dark as other Sci-Fi shows. You know the team is going to get into trouble but you also know almost every time they are all going to survive. There have been character deaths on Stargate, but they've always been written terribly (with the exception of Janet in SG-1 which was an amazing episode).

SGA has been awful at writing character deaths (Ford? Weir? Carson?). So if in SGU they found a purposeful and meaningful character death at some point in the show I'm all for it.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by major davis View Post
                      from what youve heard at least
                      Chloe because she sounds like a rehash of Cordelia Chase from 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' and 'Angel'. Cordelia was one of my favourite Buffy universe characters, though, so maybe I'll like Chloe too as long as she isn't a stereotype.
                      sigpic

Comment

The only character that makes me roll my eyes right now is Chloe. Her description make me fear for the future. But then again, she could be quite well developed. A properly writen character, even if annoying, intrigues you. So you wouldn't REALLY want to see that character dead. So, really, without knowing what's what, I can't tell.

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                          Chloe because she sounds like a rehash of Cordelia Chase from 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' and 'Angel'. Cordelia was one of my favourite Buffy universe characters, though, so maybe I'll like Chloe too as long as she isn't a stereotype.

completely see where you're coming from on the cordelia angle, she was also one of my fave characters on either of the shows, but the thing is, she was created by Joss, and i have nothing but absolute praise for him. Im just not sure the writers for this show are gonna be able to pull this character off properly, and she would more than likely come off shallow and really cliché, and after a while, she'll more than likely be killed off. she's is the only reason i have doubts about this show, we all know they can write the *soldier* type characters, because they really never get that much development, but there is going to be a lot of development needed to do justice to chloe, and im not sure the CURRENT writers have it in them to do this, that is why they really do need to hire new writers, and soon!

Comment

Originally posted by major davis View Post
                            If you were a stargate Universe writer and you had the oppertunity to kill off one of the regulars, who would it be? For me it would be Tamara.
                            Not at all for me...For some reason, I feel that Tamara may be one of my favorite characters in SGU. I like her name, Tamara Jon (which I hope they keep), she's a medic (I have always liked the medics. They have always countered the military personnel on ethical issues which causes drama, etc.), and she seems like she is going to be a well-rounded character.

As for me and character deaths...I would much prefer people get left behind on a planet after the Destiny "jumps". That way, not only does it create suspense if we will ever see them again, but it also leaves it open to that possibility. With a death, you would need to think of a way to bring them back to life, most likely the "basic brought back-to-life idea" which can get old. Too be honest, I am gonna have a problem if they kill off the characters. You begin to like the character and learn about them believing there is much to be learned, much potential, then they get killed off and that's it.

So, I would much prefer being "left behind" leaving that window open for a chance of return while providing drama for the rest of the crew grieving by believing they may never see them again. Emotions, etc.

The problem I have is that I don't want to have a Doctor Who-esque scenario where they replace the entire regular cast with new people as time moves on. I absolutely hate that. I don't know, maybe I am just spoiled by the previous two series in the Stargate franchise that have kept the regulars around. More so with SG-1. =\

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                            The only character that makes me roll my eyes right now is Chloe. Her description make me fear for the future. But then again, she could be quite well developed. A properly writen character, even if annoying, intrigues you. So you wouldn't REALLY want to see that character dead. So, really, without knowing what's what, I can't tell.
                            Well, you do want to start a character off with flawed features, then work from that. Chloe has the potential to move from a spoiled, party girl to something much more. That depends on the writers and how they write her.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
                            and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

As long as it's not for stupid reasons and that the death enhances the story realistically and that they show the surviving characters cope.

If they don't its badwriting badwriting badwriting.

Comment

I've never been a part of the "Save X" campaigns.

I think that if a character dies they should STAY DEAD. SGA took the opposite to ridiculous levels, to a point where death had a minimal emotional impact. Clones, different actresses, resurrected 3 minutes later, give me a break.

Comment

Working...
                                X