Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I was part of Save Carson Beckett, and I supported Save Elizabeth Weir. If anyone form SCB, or SEW is in here Hi!

I was saddened when Janet Frazier got the chop in SG1, and Grodan and Ford got the chop in Atlantis. However, their respective deaths fitted in with the narrative. Even if Fords demise was obvious from a mile off. Eliminating a character can work very well if it is handled correctly, and the series structure works in such a way that you know to watch out for such a development.
    Babylon 5 and the 2004 version of Galactica have proven that, and it worked! - Don't get too close to these puppies kids, we are about to puree a couple of them, and you won't know who!

Beckett and Weir did not work in that respect, as there was no sensible reason to ditch them in the structure of the story. Plus Paul McGillion was brought back because the writers realised Beckett's death created a hole. They had underestimated what the character brought to the table, and badly underestimated the audience's reaction too, so tried to retcon it as best they could. As for Weir, she was the leader of Atlantis, it was inevitable her loss would cause some of the audience to turn away if not handled well in the storyline, and it wasn't. Especially killing her offscreen. Mr Woolsey is a different character, but he is doing the same job, in a very similar way in most respects, even though the character is an administrator, not a diplomat?
    I hope Universe will show the writers have had a careful think about what the series is supposed to be about from the get go, and consider the repercussions carefully if a character is to be slaughtered. It would need to be done in a way that will create more stories instead of potentially weakening the narrative.
    You are right Toaster on Fire - once someone is dead, - they should stay dead to add conviction.

The fact Universe is touted as a more expensive premise should help to ensure such past mistakes are avoided, and the writing is tight. - With a predacessory competitor like Battlestar Galactica, and a fractioning of the existing fanbase due to the road Atlantis took, it can't afford not to.

In the end though there is no point in what-iffing. We will need to see the series to judge it on its own merits, and see if it carries the legacy of SG1's popularity and evolution, or inherits the clunky writing and erratic development that plagued Atlantis in its final days.

I feel sorry for TBTB, they work very hard under tight deadlines. I would not want to have their jobs for all the tea in China!
    Last edited by Thunderbird 2; 17 January 2009, 10:47 AM.
    Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
    Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

They have done it in SG1 and SGA: Kawalsky and Sumner so they will probaly do it in SGU
      [URL="http://www.cybernations.net/default.asp?Referrer=MightyMech"]

Comment

Originally posted by Ha'TakFord View Post
        They have done it in SG1 and SGA: Kawalsky and Sumner so they will probaly do it in SGU
        They were guest stars, not part of the regular cast...We know that Senator Walker is going to die...so there's the 'Sumner effect', but it looks like they will go beyond that.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
        and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

It depends. One of the reasons I liked SG-1 so much was the tight knit nature of the team. While I watched season six, and enjoyed some of the episodes, it just didn't have the same appeal. The lack of this type of team was what kept me from enjoying Atlantis, I think. Character death can make for riviting drama (ie Heroes), but only if the character has been around for such a long time that their death seems inconceivable. Otherwise, they're just red shirts. There also should be a specific reason relating to plot or the feel of the show that is being addressed. In terms of core team members, I would say no unless a character really isn't working--and I'm not talking about something like killing Ford to make way for another character.

Comment

I don't get why some people constantly want to see main characters die. Besides the episode and the one following which they die, it doesn't have much dramatic value. And anyway, its been done before. Are the characters suppose to bring up the death of the ex-teamates every other weeks just for a few token lines? Are they suppose to mourn him until the end of the series in a completely immature way? For example, I think Atlantis did the most they could do with the death of Dr. Weir (whatever the real life reasons was). And Atlantis even had the luxury to be able to bring the Weir character back in another form (same with Daniels). Which shouldn't be the case with SGU. Been there, done that.
            Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
              I think this is the one tiny problem they will have but this can solve by showing a large expedition go through gate and by making sure the team is not focus on just four or five of them, actually building up some of the none regulars will be key in them being able to kill of people and bring in replacements.

They have to developed the background characters and makes sure these actors are capable of taking lead roles.

Camille Wray, John two of the supporting characters, do not seem to so far have any kind of job on the ship. Which already gives the writers two supporting cast which can be shown to evolve and grow into bigger roles as the story continued.

And I have never support character return campaigns in the past and I shall never support them in the future, writers should be left to writer the stories they want and the characters they want to write for, all characters should be disposable.
              Thats what I was thinking, or we get more aliens. ;-) Great minds think alike, I guess.

Comment

I think this is the one tiny problem they will have but this can solve by showing a large expedition go through gate and by making sure the team is not focus on just four or five of them, actually building up some of the none regulars will be key in them being able to kill of people and bring in replacements.

They have to developed the background characters and makes sure these actors are capable of taking lead roles.

Camille Wray, John two of the supporting characters, do not seem to so far have any kind of job on the ship. Which already gives the writers two supporting cast which can be shown to evolve and grow into bigger roles as the story continued.

And I have never support character return campaigns in the past and I shall never support them in the future, writers should be left to writer the stories they want and the characters they want to write for, all characters should be disposable.
                This is the complete antithisis of what I would consider an entertaining action/adventure show, and more along the lines of a dark drama like BSG than Stargate.

Comment

I wouldn't care unless the show succeeds to goes above 2seasons. Or if it was sudden......like one second their all happy the next they for some reason commit suicide(Anyone who saw the Battlestar Galactica episode on the 16th will know what i mean).
                  Tst

Comment

I am all for permanent deaths on SGU, death has become a joke with SG-1 and SGA. Carson, Daniel... I think it would add greatly to the realism and darkness of the show if after a few episodes, a main character dies. This character could re-appear as a ghost/hallucination or in flashbacks or even an alternate reality/time travel epsiode. Please, no clone or ascended-descended storylines to cheese things up. Lost characters like Weir or Ford are also appealing because the dangling storyline fires your imagination. Ford in the 2nd SGA movie?

Comment

Working...
                    X