This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Character Deaths in SGU

So it's no secret that certain Stargate fans go bananas when characters die. However, there is also some who likes the added drama of such an event, GIVEN that it's written well.

I ask you then, how would you handle the permanent death of a character on the new show given that it is written well (also given that it's writers' choice not actors' choice)? By written well, I mean that it is followed up upon after the fact (mourning, reference, etc. etc.)?

Would you start a "Save ____" campaign regardless of how the death is handled, or would you accept it if it's good, and move on, even if the character who died was one of your favorite characters?

Would you like SGU to break the trend of "nobody ever dies in SciFi"? Or would you rather that there is a safety net placed under each character death?

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
    So it's no secret that certain Stargate fans go bananas when characters die. However, there is also some who likes the added drama of such an event, GIVEN that it's written well.

I ask you then, how would you handle the permanent death of a character on the new show given that it is written well (also given that it's writers' choice not actors' choice)? By written well, I mean that it is followed up upon after the fact (mourning, reference, etc. etc.)?

Would you start a "Save ____" campaign regardless of how the death is handled, or would you accept it if it's good, and move on, even if the character who died was one of your favorite characters?

Would you like SGU to break the trend of "nobody ever dies in SciFi"? Or would you rather that there is a safety net placed under each character death?
    I think I would be much more accepting of a character death on Universe as it just seems like it's going to be that kind of show, and I'd expect it.
    In fact, if none of the main characters die in the first season, I would be quite surprised. If they want the grit and the angst they say they do, that is.
    I wouldn't want any of the Dead, Not Dead shenanigans that have happened so frequently on the other two series.
    sigpic

Comment

For me, it wouldn't really matter -- I do like character death. However, I just hope they don't kill of Dr. Rush. But too me, it seems Col. Young will loose some of his men -- but if we loose someone, who will take their place? Beg's the question, doesn't?

Comment

Depends on the character and how the writers approach the whole "killing off" people situation.
        I think there'll always be a problem. If they start killing off or leaving behind people from the get-go and do so every 3 episodes, then people won't really ***** about a certain character, but they'll ***** that the show kills off too many pople, like "24". And, of course, if all of them are red shirts, then people will say "Sure, well SG-1 and SGA killed plenty of red shirts, but the shows still lacked that edge, because none of the MAIN characters were ever in danger". And if that happens and you eventually kill off a main character, because THE STORY REQUIRED it, instead of a ratings grab or something, then they'll complain even more and possibly start campaigns if the character is liked. AAAAAAND if you kill off more main characters, so as to show that it was not just a ratings ploy, that you're actually trying to bring danger into the show, you risk alienating viewers who tune in for the team and you're basically killing off the team. You can avoid that by having the main characterization focus on one or two characters(again, "24"), while killing off the others, but not in a way that they're undeveloped red shirts. BUT, people will still complain that outside those two characters, no one is developed and BLAH BLAH BLAH...
        There's no winning it. I just hope they do what's right in order to accomplish their vision with this show.

Comment

I think they should kill off one of the regulars with in the first 10 or so episodes. Like they should make us think that the character is going to be a regular and have an ep or two centered around him/her and then around ep 10 or 11 kill him/her off. I think people would be shocked and it would keep everyone on edge as to when any other character could die.

Perfecto!

Comment

Who wants to bet they kill off another medic?
            Stargate likes to mess with people. Take any character and you can go to at least two episodes that they die in. Daniel dying every other episode got a little tiring but in general, I didn't mind the frequent dead, not dead. Eventually though, they do have a permanent death or two.
            Killing off a regular in the first season isn't really new to the franchise and wouldn't really surprise me. Remember Ford? Been a while.
            I wouldn't start a "save whomever" campaign because if they want to kill off a character, they're gonna do it either way. The deaths are always written well so i have confidence in that part of the show. Honestly, i look forward to the deaths in SGU. Those tend to be some of the best episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow2293 View Post
              Who wants to bet they kill off another medic?
              Stargate likes to mess with people. Take any character and you can go to at least two episodes that they die in. Daniel dying every other episode got a little tiring but in general, I didn't mind the frequent dead, not dead. Eventually though, they do have a permanent death or two.
              Killing off a regular in the first season isn't really new to the franchise and wouldn't really surprise me. Remember Ford? Been a while.
              I wouldn't start a "save whomever" campaign because if they want to kill off a character, they're gonna do it either way. The deaths are always written well so i have confidence in that part of the show. Honestly, i look forward to the deaths in SGU. Those tend to be some of the best episodes.
              Ford didn't die in season 1.

Comment

if they do decide to kill off characters, then they have to be prepared for the fact that ALL characters are expandable, and not go 'well we cant kill him/her off coz the fans like them to much' but it also has to be done RIGHT.

take Tara's death on buffy, she was one of the most loved characters on the entire show and she was killed to progress the story forward, not caring if she was loved by the fans, because at the end of the day, when you start pandering to the fans wishes, that when the show starts to suck, beckett in atlantis anyone???

i would be happy if any of the cast died, only if it is done right, and has some meaning and importance to the show, not just an accient, but then again, i wouldn't want them placing special emphasis on the certain characters, and i get that people die for all sort of reasons, and not all are some major important event.
                but i do want some more brutal and shocking deaths, all these "heroic" *near* deaths (which has sheppard written all over them) get boring and really predictable, how a brutal torture scene when a character is being questioned/intoregated by the bad guys and instead of him/her being rescued in the end (which always happens *sheppard again*) the bad guys just kill him/her, this would have all the drama and suspense that the writters want, but also shows they are willing to take risks, and it would also serve to keep the fans wondering *well if he/she dies, that means my fave character could well die next time* this was never the case in atlantis, you always ALWAYS knew nothing was ever going to happen to sheppard *even if i wished it so* and in the case's where characters did *die* it did nothing for the character what so ever, or the story for that matter, it was like weir died in a normal filler episode, and was them forgotten, killing wier was the biggest mistake Atlantis ever did, having her still on the show would of made all the difference in terms of the *team* feeling the fans seem to go on about,

that being said, i would actually want their deaths to mean something to the rest of the characters, and not just have them get over it in about 2 episodes, that has what has always been missing from the other shows.

well i think i've rambled on for too long, so im going lol

Comment

Originally posted by Blistna View Post
                  For me, it wouldn't really matter -- I do like character death. However, I just hope they don't kill of Dr. Rush. But too me, it seems Col. Young will loose some of his men -- but if we loose someone, who will take their place? Beg's the question, doesn't?
                  I think this is the one tiny problem they will have but this can solve by showing a large expedition go through gate and by making sure the team is not focus on just four or five of them, actually building up some of the none regulars will be key in them being able to kill of people and bring in replacements.

They have to developed the background characters and makes sure these actors are capable of taking lead roles.

Camille Wray, John two of the supporting characters, do not seem to so far have any kind of job on the ship. Which already gives the writers two supporting cast which can be shown to evolve and grow into bigger roles as the story continued.

And I have never support character return campaigns in the past and I shall never support them in the future, writers should be left to writer the stories they want and the characters they want to write for, all characters should be disposable.

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
                    I think they should kill off one of the regulars with in the first 10 or so episodes. Like they should make us think that the character is going to be a regular and have an ep or two centered around him/her and then around ep 10 or 11 kill him/her off. I think people would be shocked and it would keep everyone on edge as to when any other character could die.
                    I like that idea i would just be too afraid of it been RC. He is quite a big actor who i was quite surprised took the part so many the reason he did was because it was only 10 episode deal.

At the moment i have never been too sad at any of the charictor deaths in any program other so i don't think i will be too upset about them universe either
                    sigpic
                    Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
                    Metal gear fan

Comment

All I can say is if they died, let them stay dead. I don't this we need another engerizer bunny.

Comment

Originally posted by xandder View Post
                        if they do decide to kill off characters, then they have to be prepared for the fact that ALL characters are expandable, and not go 'well we cant kill him/her off coz the fans like them to much' but it also has to be done RIGHT.

take Tara's death on buffy, she was one of the most loved characters on the entire show and she was killed to progress the story forward, not caring if she was loved by the fans, because at the end of the day, when you start pandering to the fans wishes, that when the show starts to suck, beckett in atlantis anyone???

i would be happy if any of the cast died, only if it is done right, and has some meaning and importance to the show, not just an accient, but then again, i wouldn't want them placing special emphasis on the certain characters, and i get that people die for all sort of reasons, and not all are some major important event.
                        but i do want some more brutal and shocking deaths, all these "heroic" *near* deaths (which has sheppard written all over them) get boring and really predictable, how a brutal torture scene when a character is being questioned/intoregated by the bad guys and instead of him/her being rescued in the end (which always happens *sheppard again*) the bad guys just kill him/her, this would have all the drama and suspense that the writters want, but also shows they are willing to take risks, and it would also serve to keep the fans wondering *well if he/she dies, that means my fave character could well die next time* this was never the case in atlantis, you always ALWAYS knew nothing was ever going to happen to sheppard *even if i wished it so* and in the case's where characters did *die* it did nothing for the character what so ever, or the story for that matter, it was like weir died in a normal filler episode, and was them forgotten, killing wier was the biggest mistake Atlantis ever did, having her still on the show would of made all the difference in terms of the *team* feeling the fans seem to go on about,

that being said, i would actually want their deaths to mean something to the rest of the characters, and not just have them get over it in about 2 episodes, that has what has always been missing from the other shows.

well i think i've rambled on for too long, so im going lol
                        rambling or not, i agree with everything you've said.

Comment

I would think being left behind on an alien planet alone is more dramatic than dying.

Comment

If someone important is going to die let they stay dead. I don't want any boring cliche revial
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

I would love to see more character death in Stargate. Just don't get rid of RC and JL. Prison Break does it very well, as does 24. No Character is Sacred as far as I'm concerned, except for RC and JL lol. It adds more suspense to the show and it makes you think 'will Bob survive this week because they just killed off Joe the previous episode'

Comment

Working...
                              X