This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iris question

This is my first post here, so I apologize if this has already been covered. I was wondering why they don't just leave the iris closed all the time, rather than rushing to close it every time someone starts to dial in from outside.

phew! I was thinking this was going to be a "why isn't the iris disintergrated" one.

reason 1) out of univese: Its more dramatic
    reason 2) in-universe The gate looks prettier without the iris thus its only closed when needed.
    sigpic
    Banner By JME2

Comment

Maybe it costs to keep it closed like keeping on a magnetic field
      I'm just guessing wildly heren perhaps it looks better open or incase there is an emergency such as a team coming back under fire

Comment

even if a team was under fire, they still would keep the iris closed until they received the gdo code. so i guess we're stuck with "it looks prettier," since this is television, after all. a little disappointing.

Comment

What if the gateroom was empty or the computer s were malfunctioning then the Iris would be a terrible thing to have closed

Comment

i thought the idea of the iris was that it would be a terrible thing to have open in case goa'ulds or other nasties dialed in. Especially if the gate room was empty!

Comment

lol always a reverse answer
              Well i will stick with my original thought:
              The Iris might need a magnetic field to stay closed therefore requiring electricity therefore making up more than the $7b bills.
              Perhaps as it is human built keeping it on or cloased weakens it

Let's take this to the producers

Comment

I admit that is a much more satisfying answer than it looks pretty on tv-- even if it is only a guess! But the fact that it's never been addressed on the show probably means the "pretty" reason is the truth. A vain stargate!

Comment

Does anyone know if any of the actors/producers come on ere?
                  If not where is the next chat room to host a talk with them?

Comment

some of them have been known to lurk here and even post occasionally

Comment

Originally posted by klae
                      This is my first post here, so I apologize if this has already been covered. I was wondering why they don't just leave the iris closed all the time, rather than rushing to close it every time someone starts to dial in from outside.
                      ...I must say, that is a good question.
                      (",) Gater

Kawoosh! Stargate Music Videos
                      http://kawoosh.co.uk

Gater on LJ
                      http://puddlejumping.co.uk

I don't read. I vid.

Comment

Working...
                      X