Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry about that, here's a picture with some scale references.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10.../F302Scale.jpg

QMx Andy; I've been wondering, will all releases in this scale come with the same size for a display base and certificate card?

Comment

Hi Jedigreedo - First, I've got to thank you for that insanely detailed and I think very fair review of our F-302! You captured all the cogent points extremely well, especially the fact that with the F-302, we're trying to move the bar down on the cost of high-end collectibles.

Cutting studio scale in half certainly helped and enabled us to cut the price for a detailed and professionally-painted replica to a 5th of what bigger ships usually go for. Another reason we went with this scale is, frankly, display space. A number of collectors told us that they were running out of space to put their favorite ships on display and what they wanted was a smaller ship but with all the production quality of the big ships. Anyway, that's what we shot for. Not to say we won't ever do a big ship. But this scale seems to be a good compromise between cost and detail.

A couple of other quick clarifications: First, believe it or not, the second seat in the cockpit is exactly as it is in the CGI files. I guess because you don't really see much of the cockpit interior in the CG sequences, they didn't bother building down in the back. We probably could have either speculated on the rest of the design or used set photos, but we were really concerned with staying as true to the CG reference as possible.

Also, an explanation on the "looseness" of the stand. We did that because we knew this model was going to get handled a lot (it's really the only way to see all the details on the bottom) and we were concerned if the stand was too tight, something could break or the stand itself would always be coming up with the model. So, the goal was to make it loose enough that you could just lift it off, but not so loose that it would fall over.

Originally posted by Jedigreedo View Post
      QMx Andy; I've been wondering, will all releases in this scale come with the same size for a display base and certificate card?
      Yes and yes. Part of the fun of doing these is designing a base that's a little bit more than just a plaint black stand. Plus, if you are going to do something in an 8-inch scale, we think it's important to add to the "drama" of the piece. :-)

Thanks again for the time and effort you put into this review. Really, really appreciate you sharing your experience!

Comment

Anytime - Glad you enjoyed it! I'm very much looking forward to the Goa'uld Glider.

Also, I've been curious if there are any plans for display cases to be offered for the F-302 and any upcoming products? I recently bought a 1:18 diecast car display case, as well as a card protector large enough to fit the Certificate and the combo have made for a very attractive and protective display on my shelf. However, since they're not made specifically for items of these sizes they're not entirely perfect. I would definitely buy a case specifically designed for the replicas.

Here's my setup as an example:

Comment

Hi JG -

Actually, the cost of acrylic has absolutely gone through the roof in the last year, which is why we didn't include one with the F-302. (It would have made it at least another $30 if we had.) However, I'll let you in on a little secret:

Specialty Plastics is a great custom acrylic case maker in the midwest. We use them for all our show displays and their prices are very competitive (for a custom case maker). I got one that fits the F-302 exactly and it looks really great. You can check it out at http://www.casesforcollectibles.com/936.html (that's the one I got for my F-302).

Comment

Andy, you should put that on your site for those people who might want to obtain a case. Never know, might get you a good deal on future orders if you refer your customers to them.
            sigpic
            Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Yeah, that's true. Although to be honest, I'm mostly interested in seeing our customers get a nice case at a good price if they want one.

Comment

YOUR FAVORITE STARGATE BLUEPRINTS

Okay, time for another oh-so-scientific surveys ;-) What I'd like to know is, what ships/locations from Stargate would you most like to get blueprints of?

Our best blueprint designer (same guy who did the Serenity blueprints for us) has some bandwidth available for a new project and I'd really like to get him going on a blueprint set for Stargate. But first I though I'd ask you all what blueprints you think we should do.

Thanks!

Comment

The Serenity blueprints are amazingly beautiful so if you've got the same artist to do ones for Stargate, that rocks.

I'd want to see Odyssey blueprints. Or a Gou'uld mothership.

You should consider doing something similar for Stargate like you did for the Serenity ships papers. A nicely printed and detailed piece that one could collect autographs from the actors. Mine is filled now with everyone but Joss

The Stargate actors still appear all over the world at events and something like this would be a nice piece to keep autographs in one place. I dunno, maybe a briefing folder for the binder. You can figure out the contents
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

I'd like to see blueprints for the Prometheus, Daedalus, Puddle Jumper, the SGC and Central/Command Tower on Atlantis.

Originally posted by QMx Andy View Post
                    Specialty Plastics is a great custom acrylic case maker in the midwest. We use them for all our show displays and their prices are very competitive (for a custom case maker). I got one that fits the F-302 exactly and it looks really great. You can check it out at http://www.casesforcollectibles.com/936.html (that's the one I got for my F-302).
                    Thanks for the link, I'll definitely be ordering from them sometime. The case I currently have my F-302 in is actually a thin plastic rather than acrylic, but I'll be upgrading to acrylic now.

Comment

I think Atlantis would make very good blueprints, hopefully in the "Lantean" art style. We've seen plenty of beautiful sets and computer displays on Atlantis, and I'm sure there's plenty of details about the "Lost City" that a set of blueprints could explore!

It might not be easy, however, to correlate the different CGI models of Atlantis that have been featured over the years. On the other hand, if you could explain the Serenity 'verse, this should be easy in comparison!
                      Coming soon to Syfy and DVD... hopefully!

Comment

I would love to see a blueprints of the Orion, 304's and Atlantis.

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

the city of atlantis would be cool but that would be massive!! I would like to see the SGC blueprints or even just an extremely detailed lithograph of both the gates, about 36"36"

Comment

What Stargate blueprints do I want to see? Starting with my most wanted:

1. Atlantis (the whole city)
                            2. SGC
                            3. Puddlejumper
                            4. Daedalus-class
                            5. Aurora-class

Another merchandise idea I had: At one point, someone mentioned bumper stickers. As an alternative, what about reusable vinyl window clings that stick on the inside of the windshield? Some people may not have cars; others may not want to put stickers on their car and have to scrape them off later when their lease comes up or if they sell the car. 'Tis a thought.
                            (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                            Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

i would love to see the blueprints for Atlantis. those would be amazing. and also, i would love to see blueprints for the puddle jumpers!!!
                              thanks to Pandora's_Box for the siggie!

Comment

NEW STUFF!

Hey there folks. I know when we started on Gateworld one of the things we said we'd use this forum for was to tease new products. Well, seems high time we start fulfilling on that promise:

Any guesses as to exactly what you're looking at here?

Comment

Working...
                                X