Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Ask Quantum Mechanix!

Replica and collectables maker Quantum Mechanix is here to answer your questions! As previously announced, the company has acquired the Stargate license and is kicking things off with (among other things) an F-302 replica, available next month.

QMx president Andy Gore tells us that they have big, BIG plans for the Stargate license this year, and he's here to reveal them (all in good time ...) and to answer your questions. Check out their new Stargate section to what's available right now:

http://store.quantummechanix.com/Stargate-SG1_c_3.html

So welcome, Andy, and everyone post away!

GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - RSS
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Default Re: Ask Quantum Mechanix!

Why does the base of the F-302 have "Bc-303" on the runway?

Quote Originally Posted by Automission View Post
    Why does the base of the F-302 have "Bc-303" on the runway?
    Because the F-302 is taking off of the BC-303 runway.

Andy does QMx also have rights to Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe or strictly SG-1? The quality of work you guys do is top notch at a very reasonable price, I can't wait for more ship models to come out, ie. Prometheus/Daedalus class.

President, Quantum Mechanix QMx Andy's Avatar

Hi Quade - thanks for the kind words! First, I want to say I'm really excited about opening this dialog with GateWorlders – I have *so* many questions I want to ask you guys. And goodies, lots of goodies to show you. We're big believers in having an open dialog with fans – getting feedback from fans is what makes a good product great.

As for our license – we're all Stargate, all the time. The F-302 was a sweetheart project for me because it's *my* favorite ship. We are working on several follow-ons (you might be able to guess at least one by checking my avatar), but what I'd really like to know is, what ship(s) do *you* think we should do next?

What mid-scale (~8 inches) ships?
    What studio-scale (~15-20 inches) ships?
    What model kits (so you could build your own)?

Getting back to the F-302 – looks like they'll be in the warehouse first week of February. We're only making 2,500 (unnumbered limited edition), so this will be the only allocation we'll be getting. If you're interested in picking one up, I'd encourage you to sign-up for our newsletter (make sure you select "Stargate" as one of your preferred categories). I heard a rumor from marketing we'll be offering a pretty major discount to subscribers for opening day. Just, um, don't tell them where you heard that, okay?

;-)

What ships should be next? Preferably some form of Mothership, either Daedalus class, or Ori. One of my personal favourites.
    Thanks for the information about the discount too. Course, it's a shame I can't remember who told me.
    Oh and a general QMX question. Do you ship overseas, I.e to the UK?

Hi Automission -

Thanks for the feedback! So, speaking of motherships, I've always been kinda partial to the Odyssey, myself. What do you think of that ship?

Yes, we ship our goods worldwide and have an active client base in the UK.

That was *really* irresponsible, whoever leaked that discount rumor. I'd start an investigation, but then I'd have to fire myself

Haha. And yeah Odyssey is fine too. Afterall, every ship is Daedalus class, they all look the same outside, and pretty much the same inside. That way you could make loads, and label them as any 304 class ship.
    Thank you as well for the prompt and clear answers. Most people from sites like this are always so vague.

I am not partial to build it yourself model kits as I usually screw them up and they look bad. Nails and screws sticking out everywhere because I couldn't figure out how to take the cap off the glue. But some good small scale ships would be;
    Ancients Puddle Jumper
    City Of Atlantis
    Prometheus
    Wraith Dart
    Wraith Cruiser
    Goa'uld Death Glider
    Goa'uld Cargo Ship
    Replicator Cruiser
    And some good large scale models would be;
    Ancients Aurora Class
    Daedalus
    Odyssey
    Apollo
    The George Hammond
    Asgards The Beliskner
    Asgards The O'Neill
    Wraith Hive Ship
    Goa'uld Mothership
    Anubis' Mothership

Notice I listed the Daedalus, Odyssey, Apollo and The George Hammond. Even though they look the same, aside from the name on the outside, each fan has their favorite. Although we haven't seen it yet, I am sure lots of people have some sentimental value in The George Hammond. I know I would purchase an Odyssey and Apollo.

Another product I would like to see is a decent sized Stargate. We have seen small necklaces, pendants, etc. But the largest liscensed Stargate is the QMx Mirror which is still not that big. I would like to see a 18"-24" Stargate, Pegasus and Milky Way styles.

Thanks, Quade – that's quite a list! Okay, so let me ask you this: which ship on your list should be *first*?

Quote Originally Posted by QMx Andy View Post
    Thanks, Quade – that's quite a list! Okay, so let me ask you this: which ship on your list should be *first*?
    Daedalus class for sure, it is the most popular ship among fans. Even from a business standpoint, it is the same design as the Odyssey, Apollo, George Hammond. Once you get the mold completed you just need to duplicate it and change the name on the outside of the ship. Keep your costs down and meet the needs of all the fans whose favorite ship is different. Although you probably won't sell many Korolev/Sun Tzu models, it is still a future possibility. Although with the Daedalus class ship, you will probably have to do much larger quantities than your previous products. After the Daedalus class it kind of wanders, my second favorite would be the Asgards O'Neill or a Goa'uld Death Glider.

Thanks, Automission. I'll always do my best to give you a straight answer. If I'm ever vague, it's only because I don't know (and then I'll be sure to say that).

Quade - Daelalus Class for sure. Although they're not quite all the same. We have in the archive the CG files for everything from the Prometheus to the Odyssey, and there are differences. Personally, I'm most fond of the Odyssey version because it's the most evolved (and the one created when they had the biggest budget).

Having said that, the only capital ship I wouldn't be in a rush to do is the Prometheus. And I really want to do the Death Glider - it'll pair nicely with the F-302 and will look great in that scale.

Well of course make whichever you fancy for now, we're just saying which we'd choose in the future, given the choice. I also had no idea there was such a difference between any of the 304's.

I'll have to see if we can get some CG renders to post. The differences aren't huge, but they are significant at this level of detail.

I also like the O'Neill and the Ori mothership. Although for that, I think we'd need to do a big replica with lots of lights.

Yeah, but man that'd lookd fantastic. Light up features on a model.

I think I'm going to need a larger display rack and a better paying job.

Well, it's entirely off-topic, but if you want to see what's possible when price is no object, check out this build-up of the Enterprise Refit our model shop did:

http://www.fireflyshipworks.com/2008...favorite-ship/

I think a lot of the classic Goa'uld ships would look good, from smaller ships like the al'kesh and tel'tac cargo ship (which would compliment the F-302, even if not at exactly the same scale, seeing as how they all took part in episodes like "Lost City"), to the larger ha'tak mothership (which would go well with Odyssey).
    Coming soon to Syfy and DVD... hopefully!

I'm rather fond of the Al'kesh, myself. Anyone else like to see us do that one?

Oooh yeah. I do like the shape of the Al'kesh, it's so unconventional. Yeah, I'd love to see a model of that too. And that enterprise is amazing. Beautiful detail.

Second Lieutenant

I plan on picking up the very awesome Stargate mirror pretty soon, but I was wondering if you plan on making an Atlantis version of it?

what ship(s) do *you* think we should do next?

What mid-scale (~8 inches) ships?
    What studio-scale (~15-20 inches) ships?
    What model kits (so you could build your own)?
    When it comes to mid-scale, I would really like to see the Death Glider made, as well as the "Needle-Threader" that Teal'c and Hammond used, Al'kesh and the Goa'uld cargo ship.

Although the larger scale ships such as the Daedalus class and motherships are best left to the larger scale due to the amount of detail, it would be nice to see the larger ships done in the mid-scale for those of us with smaller wallets.

I'm rather fond of the Al'kesh, myself. Anyone else like to see us do that one?
    I would absolutely love to see an Al'kesh, it's easily one of the best designs they've created for the show.

Heya JG -

No plans right now on the Atlantis gate as a mirror, but that could change if a bunch of you want to see it. Our next "gate" will likely be smaller – a lot smaller (hint, hint). And then I'd like to do a "studio scale" diorama style, like the SGC gateroom? But that probably won't be for a while.

So, I gotta ask everyone a question re: Atlantis. Now that the show's over, do you think interest in Atlantis-themed collectibles will fade? I mean, I'm a fan of the show (especially this last season – which was *awesome*), but Universe will be out pretty soon and I'm not sure Atlantis achieved quite the iconic status that SG-1 did?

Death Glider is a definite mid-scale project. Only issue we're wrestling with right now is the base. I'd like it to be some kind of ancient landscape – nothing so fancy as it'd drive the price up. But we really like the idea that the stands should be more than just something to hold the replica up

Oh dang! Did I just make another product announcement? Must... stop... talking...