Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    Second Lieutenant

Default Re: Ask Quantum Mechanix!

I can definitely appreciate the devotion to resin; I have a 1:1 replica of the MACO rifle from Enterprise that's fully cast in resin, and it's incredibly heavy and beautiful.

A 2-sided network map sounds best to me, even if you only want one side it just adds more value to it by having a potential dual use.

Even if smaller diecast ships are out of the question, what about using resin for them? I'd love to see 3"-scale resin versions of the Earth fleet, or Asgard fleet, or Goa'uld fleet. Perhaps each as a set in a display case?

Also, in regards to the bumper stickers, any chance of magnetic versions?

President, Quantum Mechanix QMx Andy's Avatar

Yeah, it would be cool if you could buy your own little fleet and then have epic space battles on the coffee table :-)

By the way, I'm really hoping everyone who was interested in the F-302 signed up for the newsletter before today (http://insider.qmxonline.com). If we missed anyone, go ahead and sign up now and let me know and I'll get the "notice" resent to you.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by QMx Andy View Post
    Yeah, it would be cool if you could buy your own little fleet and then have epic space battles on the coffee table :-)
    I grew out of that a long time ago... Now I do all space battles at my computer desk, so I can have proper backgrounds on my monitor and nobody interrupts during the dramatic moments.

By the way, I'm really hoping everyone who was interested in the F-302 signed up for the newsletter before today (http://insider.qmxonline.com). If we missed anyone, go ahead and sign up now and let me know and I'll get the "notice" resent to you.
    D'oh, kept forgetting to sign up for that. Signed up now, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedigreedo View Post
    I grew out of that a long time ago... Now I do all space battles at my computer desk, so I can have proper backgrounds on my monitor and nobody interrupts during the dramatic moments.
    Heh. Well, my co-workers already think I'm strange enough – and I work at a collectibles company – so I try to keep the epic space battles at home as much as possible.

D'oh, kept forgetting to sign up for that. Signed up now, though!
    Yep! You should be getting a resend of that special e-mail shortly :-)

Acme Lab Student Engineer leiasky's Avatar

I haven't read through the entire thread so if this question has been asked before, just let me know. But is QMX planning to make any full size replica props from the show?
    Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Quote Originally Posted by leiasky View Post
    I haven't read through the entire thread so if this question has been asked before, just let me know. But is QMX planning to make any full size replica props from the show?
    I believe a full size 304 would be quite difficult and expensive. But yeah, maybe some smalller props would be nice, like zat'nikatels, or simple stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Automission View Post
    I believe a full size 304 would be quite difficult and expensive. But yeah, maybe some smalller props would be nice, like zat'nikatels, or simple stuff.
    Haha, very funny

I think Zat's were done by, was it Lightspeed Fine Arts? As were Staff weapons and those Retu detector things. But there are many other props (I'd LOVE to see a healing and ribbon device - I SO wanted to win those when the originals were sold on ebay a few months ago!) that could be done among others.

Yep, props are definitely on our license. And, just for the record, I don't think anyone's made the Zat I'd really like to own – the one that opens and closes.

So, what prop would you like to see us make?

1:1 scale F-302? Hm. Well, we might want to start a little smaller with our line of life-size tactical spacecraft – maybe a Death Glider?

:-)

Yep, props are definitely on our license. And, just for the record, I don't think anyone's made the Zat I'd really like to own – the one that opens and closes.
    Absolutely with you there. Love to see a staff weapon like that as well.

So, what prop would you like to see us make?
    My top two would be a healing device and ribbon device

I've got an original pain stick from the set but those would be nice to release en masse as well

I'd like to see an operating Zat'nikatel in the sense it opens and closes. Would be hard to make I'd assume, a cheap way would be to spring load it, hit a catch to release. you'd have to manually close it though.
    Then again, who's buying replicas to play with?

Um, no one! Really! (hides TOS phaser with working lights and sound behind back).

;-)

On the Zat: My ideal scenario is we would make them exactly like the screen-used heroes (the later generation ones that used a wire rig to open and close).

So - when can we expect them for sale?

That depends on the prop shop. They're completely slammed making stuff for Universe right now, and as much as I'd like to think we take priority, even I'm not that deluded ;-)

That depends on the prop shop. They're completely slammed making stuff for Universe right now, and as much as I'd like to think we take priority, even I'm not that deluded ;-)
    Ahh, come on. All the money they can make in royalties. . .

They give you a sample item from the set to mold and make masters from, don't they? Or do you actually sculpt the items based on ref pics?

Hopefully, they'll have some nice props crop up for Universe as well that you'll be able to make for the rabid fan base.

They give you a sample item from the set to mold and make masters from, don't they? Or do you actually sculpt the items based on ref pics?
    That's one way to do it. An even better way to do it would be to have them make them all :-) The guys in the Stargate prop shop made our replicator chips for us, which was way beyond cool.

Hopefully, they'll have some nice props crop up for Universe as well that you'll be able to make for the rabid fan base.
    That's our hope as well. Of course, Stargate has a long history of making some of the awesome props ever, way back to the movie. So I think the odds are good we're going to see some pretty amazing stuff on Universe.

That's one way to do it. An even better way to do it would be to have them make them all :-) The guys in the Stargate prop shop made our replicator chips for us, which was way beyond cool.
    Ahh, nice! No importing from China

Second Lieutenant

As far as props go, I'd love to see...
    Wraith stunner (pistol type)
    Anti-Replicator Gun (Atlantis version)
    T.E.R.
    Hologram Disguise Device (from "Foothold")
    GDO
    Jack's sunglasses
    Mini-DHD pen/pencil holder (not exactly a replica, but don't you think it would compliment the Stargate mirror quite well? )

Is the 302 the only product that is upcoming? Do you have anything else slated for this year?

Ship Ornaments, maybe? A set of 3 ships with stands on a pretty display base?

Is the 302 the only product that is upcoming? Do you have anything else slated for this year?
    Absolutely not! We've got two new products in the pipeline right now – one that I think won't surprise anyone (but should be a lot of fun), one that I think will come as a big surprise. I also want to do at least one more mid-scale ship in the next six months and one studio scale with lights, etc. The reception from customers on the F-302 has been *awesome*, so I think you can pretty much bank on us returning to that form factor soon.

Cheers,

Andy