Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Ask Quantum Mechanix!

I think a nice simple base could be just a few pine tree tips, or maybe just some plastic clouds on a blue base!
    As for Atlantis items, I'm not so sure. I've no doubt some puddle jumpers would sell, but I feel the ships shown in the show never quite peaked in quality compared to SG1. But this is better left answered to a bigger fan of Atlantis.

I think some white clouds would be a great base for the Death Glider model!

The Atlantis fanbase is almost as big as the SG-1 fanbase. And as far as I know, the Diamond Select Toys collection of Atlantis figures did pretty well. I would really like to see an Atlantis gate, but like I said, something a little bigger than the mirror. There is tons of little detail in the stargate that can only be seen on a larger model. After that I would say a Puddle Jumper, City of Atlantis, and Wraith Darts would be high on the list of fans. Maybe blueprints of the city, but that might be a large task.

Besides ships, I would like to see Ronan's gun, and a Z(ed)PM.

President, Quantum Mechanix QMx Andy's Avatar

Thanks, everyone, for all the really great feedback. This is *hugely* helpful. I think we'll post protos of the Death Glider base when we have one so you can comment. The cloud base is a good idea, but do you think maybe a little generic? That was what was so cool about the Prometheus flight deck - it felt like it belonged with the F-302. Also, it gave us an excuse to show it with the gears extended – which are really detailed, skinny little things.

Blueprints of Atlantis; hm. I think that maybe that's something we can do (we've had some experience with Blueprints). But, know what I'd like first? A wall-sized map of the Gate network!

We've had a number of folks suggest Ronan's pistol. I'd also really like to do a Zat mechanical – push a button and it pops open!

Quote Originally Posted by QMx Andy View Post
    Blueprints of Atlantis; hm. I think that maybe that's something we can do (we've had some experience with Blueprints).
    I've noticed a number of threads pop up around the forum at various times, asking about blueprints/floorplans of Atlantis as a part of trying to figure out where certain locations are. So I think a lot of people would greatly welcome official blueprints of the city. Perhaps also blueprints for the various ships we've seen on both series? I'd love to get blueprints for the Daedalus-class and Aurora-class ships.

But, know what I'd like first? A wall-sized map of the Gate network!
    You could even do two: One of the Milky Way network, one of the Pegasus network.

We've had a number of folks suggest Ronan's pistol.
    In addition to his pistol, how about his sword? Maybe the two of them as a set?

As to the popularity of Atlantis merchandise... As quade_1 mentioned, the DST figures sold well; there's another series of SGA figures set to come out in the near future and DST certainly seems interested in continuing the line. Fandemonium plans to continue publishing SGA (and SG-1) novels. Big Finish will be releasing new SGA (and SG-1) audio dramas later this year. They all certainly still see a market for Atlantis products, and I think there will continue to be one.
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Quote Originally Posted by Scary Kitty View Post
    I've noticed a number of threads pop up around the forum at various times, asking about blueprints/floorplans of Atlantis as a part of trying to figure out where certain locations are. So I think a lot of people would greatly welcome official blueprints of the city. Perhaps also blueprints for the various ships we've seen on both series? I'd love to get blueprints for the Daedalus-class and Aurora-class ships.

You could even do two: One of the Milky Way network, one of the Pegasus network.
    How about all on one, gigantic, two-sided map?

Blueprints are doable. Just takes time. The research is the most time-consuming, but it's important to make sure we don't violate story continuity if we're going to the trouble to create "official" blueprints.

In addition to his pistol, how about his sword? Maybe the two of them as a set?
    Hm. Could get pricey. I mean, you'd want it made out of metal, right? (even though the prop sword was probably hard rubber)

As to the popularity of Atlantis merchandise... As quade_1 mentioned, the DST figures sold well; there's another series of SGA figures set to come out in the near future and DST certainly seems interested in continuing the line. Fandemonium plans to continue publishing SGA (and SG-1) novels. Big Finish will be releasing new SGA (and SG-1) audio dramas later this year. They all certainly still see a market for Atlantis products, and I think there will continue to be one.
    Excellent points. We knew about the DST figures, but not all the spinoff novels. And if Universe is a hit (as we fully expect it to be), that could also bring new viewers to the older material.

How about all on one, gigantic, two-sided map?
    That could make framing it difficult.

Blueprints are doable. Just takes time. The research is the most time-consuming, but it's important to make sure we don't violate story continuity if we're going to the trouble to create "official" blueprints.
    Very understandable, and I'm certainly willing to wait a little longer if it means I can get a really accurate, high-quality product.

Hm. Could get pricey. I mean, you'd want it made out of metal, right? (even though the prop sword was probably hard rubber)
    Heh. Well, the prop used in fight scenes no doubt was rubber for safety reasons, but I can well imagine that they had one made from metal for those close-up beauty shots. As for the price, there are other companies out there that produce replica weapons (off the top of my head, there's Museum Replicas and Chivalry Sports, among others), and they're not cheap either. It really comes down to how much consumers are willing to pay for a well-made product.

Excellent points. We knew about the DST figures, but not all the spinoff novels. And if Universe is a hit (as we fully expect it to be), that could also bring new viewers to the older material.
    Definitely. Certainly in my own case, Atlantis reinvigorated my interest in SG-1, which had been flagging up until that point.
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Chief Master Sergeant Roddy_McKay's Avatar

I am a big Atlantis fan and know many people who love the show and were disappointed in its cancellation. I don't collect SG1 stuff, but would love to see more Atlantis items, for years to come. I personally would like to see the Pegasus version of the mirror! Also, I would like to see small replicas of ships (4" to 8" range or so) of things like the Wraith Cruiser, Aurora Class, or Ancient City Ship. Keeping them small scale will reduce manufacturing costs and allow me to collect multiples of each!

That is my view; anyone else agree?

Well, I'd rather go for quality of the items, than buying a large quantity of undetailed items. Quality over quantity, as the old saying goes. But yeah A few Atlantis ship models would be interesting to see. Perhaps not any Traveller ships though, they always looked tacky.
    It'd be like you glued together bits out of the reject model bin!

To all of the above I'd also add a Goa'uld Ha'tak mothership.

The high-quality replicas like the 302 look fantastic, but I'd also like to see a line that is more affordable for casual collectors -- even something as small as the Titanium line that Hasbro has done for Star Wars and BSG. I love my little diecast Colonial Viper. I'd really love to have some models or replicas or toys based on the ships of Stargate that are in the $8-20 range.

GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - RSS
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Hey there everyone – dumb little aside:

We just put this "Earth Glyph" bumper sticker up on the site. What do you think?

Funny but embarrassing story: When we first developed the oval bumper sticker concept last year, I was the one who came up with the "SGC" sticker for Stargate (and very proud of myself, I was!) The Earth Glyph never occurred to me until a few weeks ago when I was rewatching the original movie and they started making all the fuss about the "point of origin" glyph.

What's really embarrassing is that whole line of stickers are called the "Point of Origin" series. D'oh!

If you're interested in more details, here's the product page.

I think glyph stickers are awesome -- but honestly, I'd rather see them on circles (like the SGC patches) rather than ovals. As an oval it looks like Teal'c's forehead emblem, but with a non-Goa'uld symbol in it.

GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - RSS
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Hey Darren - that's a great suggestion. Although the idea here was to do a takeoff on the Country ID stickers so many people put on their cars in Europe to show what country they originate from. Those are usually oval. It's more "descrete geek" design; but maybe it's too subtle?

I didn't think it was too subtle at all. I saw the SGC one at the SG/Firefly con in Burbank last November and thought it was really cute.

First Lieutenant

I also understood the country ID reference immediately! It is a great idea! Unfortunately I don't own a car

While we're talking blueprints, please don't forget the original SG-fans. I would be very happy about blueprints from the Cheyenne mountain. I work in an engieneer office and draw such drawings for a living, btw.

And I think my brother would be very happy about a Zat that opens, as you mentioned!

Please bear with me, I am new to this whole collection thing, I don't know what "studio scale" means. I think a gate room would be very cool (assuming we are talking SGC gateroom? Or is the one in Atlantis also called that way?) I know a lot of people who are collecting the DST figures complain about the gate being not in scale with them, it is way too small. Can't fit all four figures onto the ramp, either. But I guess a complete gateroom that was in scale with the figures would become HUGE! Need to buy myself a house first, before I can buy this

So, what dimensions are we actually talking here? Just so that I get an idea.

Many thanks for all the great ideas!

I think that a 20" Odyssey should absolutely be the next product to go. I personally love the ship as do so many other fans out there. Having some features like moving railgun turrets and opening hangar doors would also be cool (maybe even some tiny F-302s to go with it?).

what about a collection of fridge magnets in the shapes of all the glyphs? Milky Way and Atlantis glyphs. sounds a bit cheesy but for $10 for the collection I am sure you would sell a ton of them.

Question Re: Ask Quantum Mechanix!

For the base of the Death Glide, why not use a black / gold Goa'uld ship themed base, as if from a hanger bay in a Goa'uld ship? Or possibly a desert theme ala Abydos, with the Glider flying above the "sand" as from the original movie, and episodes like "Full Circle"?

As for Atlantis's popularity versus SG-1... plenty of people watch both, and while SG-1 does have the edge (DST has admitted that SG-1 outsells Atlantis, although not enough to cancel either series), plenty of ships from one have appeared in the other; SG-1 has used a Puddle Jumper, for example, and of course the Daedalus-class ships have been seen in both shows, so as long as you feature a variety of ships from both shows (and you already seem to have well-developed tastes about which ships to feature), then they should sell well.

I agree with Darren about having some diecast-sized ships; not only would they be much cheaper, but sales of such toys might help you determine which types of ships to later develop as larger-scale models (Goa'uld versus Wraith, for example). Just a thought...
    Coming soon to Syfy and DVD... hopefully!

Beckett Re: Ask Quantum Mechanix!

Die cast / small scale ships.

Budget is a serious issue with collecting, as is space! I think Darren has hit a good point with smal scale / die cast items. Especially for the ships.
    Everyone and their cousin has been crying out for these, and I am amongst them! In my case it would be the Prometheus, Odyssey and Daedelus. I fully understand why folk would want the Goa'uld ships as well though, and you could throw in the Beliskiner and O'Neill class Asgard ships too, not to mention the aspects that Atlantis would bring in.

Perhaps a second factor option wold be collector boxed sets?
    - For example, Prometheus, the Cargo Ship and Anubis's command Hatak in a Lost City Collectors edition?

Model kits.

Torn here. I like model kits, though my construction skills can wobble. - If your Enterprise refit is anything to go by though, the Odyssey would look amazing! The SGC gateroom and the Atlantis Gatrium would be amazing as well. Esp if the Gatrium included the means to make the stain glass window behind the Stargate.

SG1 V Atlantis?

I must admit, I prefer SG1 by a long way, but its because of its storyline, development, and the consistency with the characters. This carried over into the collectables. - Having said that, if good relica models of both versions of the Stargate were available ,I'd consider them on an even basis.

Replica weapons.

Re Ronon's sword, another problem to consider is the law. Replica guns and collectable swords / knives is a tricky area here in the UK. -It might be in other countries too.

The Bumper sticker.

I am a UK citizen an it threw me at first, (I don't drive myself, and I did think Teal'c) but I suddenly twigged. Nice one!

Gate network map idea

I agree to two seperate maps. I could be set out like a railway / subway network diagram, with caption boxes including a picture next to the gate symbol, for noted planets?

Fridge Magnets

Quade 1 - Your fridge magnets isn't a cheesy idea, it s a great one! Practical too. Something accesible to fans whre model building or more expensive collectables wouldn't be feasible.

My original suggestion - A USB powered Stargate desk ornament!

When you get email - the chevrons light up, as does the event horizon, with the activation noise! Two versions SG1 and Atlantis, with a possible Universe version later on?
    Last edited by Thunderbird 2; January 24th, 2009 at 12:24 PM.
    Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
    Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Chief Master Sergeant Roddy_McKay's Avatar

I love the idea of die cast metal models, as opposed to plastic.

Any way Stargate die cast models (Milky Way and Pegasus) can be added to the list? Hasbro was going to do them, but never did and I was soooooo disappointed.

Hey there everyone! Sorry for the tardy reply. For some reason the forum software stopped sending me notices when you guys posted, which was how I knew to come and post replies.

Anyway, lots of good feedback which I *really* appreciate. Let me try and give you some thoughtful replies:

Die Cast

We haven't done any die cast models to date for two important reasons: cost and detail. Die cast models don't show nearly as much detail as styrene, or better yet, resin. It's the nature of the material and the casting process. The Al'Kesh, for example, has *tons* of little detailing all over the ship. With a good master pattern, we can easily reproduce that with a high degree of accuracy. With die cast that detail would be lost.

The other issue with die casting is cost. Die casting is actually much more expensive at lower volumes. If you think you can sell, say, 50K of a die cast model, then you can probably bring a model in at, say, $20. But if you think sales are more like 1,000 units, that same die cast model will end up costing $1,000. That's why you don't see too many of the more exotic ship designs coming out die cast.

BTW, you might be surprised how solid and heavy a finished ship replica built up from a resin kit can be. You might even mistake it for die cast, except it'll look a lot nicer

As for shelf space, I totally hear that. I put one more ship on display in my house (beautiful or not) and my wife is going to kill me. That was part of the inspiration for the mid-scale replicas like the F-302. With an 8-inch wingspan, most people can probably find space for the F-302 and it's still big enough to show *lots* of detail. Plus we can sell it for about a 1/4 of what a larger resin replica costs.

Moving on to the Stargate network map: Have you guys seen our Map of the Verse? We did it two-sided because we realized a lot of people (especially roleplayers) would want it for reference. By printing both sides, we saved them the cost of having to pay for two pages. And for folks who wanted to frame both sides, they can still buy two maps and it doesn't cost any more than it would it buy two one-sided maps.

Death Glider base: Thanks, Calhoun, that's a great idea. Only thing I might add is a bit of an ancient ruin poking up through the sands

Magnets sound like fun, but really, I'd love that desktop widget!

Thanks again for the feedback, everyone. The F-302 should be in the warehouse very soon, possibly as soon as next week. If you're thinking of getting one of these and haven't signed up for the newsletter, you really, really should