This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why so Negative?

Why is it that sooooooo many people today are soooooo Negative? I mean really is everyones life really that bad? I cant figure it out. I personaly am not in the best of circumstances but i stay happy because i look at what i have and remeber that some dont have anything.

Happiness depends upon ourselves.
    Aristotle

Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances.
    Benjamin Franklin

Men spend their lives in anticipations,—in determining to be vastly happy at some period when they have time. But the present time has one advantage over every other—it is our own. Past opportunities are gone, future have not come. We may lay in a stock of pleasures, as we would lay in a stock of wine; but if we defer the tasting of them too long, we shall find that both are soured by age.
    Charles Caleb Colton
    Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Why does it bother you? Happiness is a choice, right? So why not choose to be untroubled by the negativity of others, particularly since it is their choice to be negative? If folks want to be miserable, let them. You can't force people to be happy just because you think they should be. Not very fair, especially if it IS a matter of choice.

Comment

Im just saying it dosnt make sense. Im not trying to force anyone to do anything.

Comment

I don't think everyone's lives are bad merely that you can get instant pleasure from negativity. With the pressures of modern society I think we've becomed programmed for it.

I live in a nation where it's the national past time to have a dig at your mate. We also have a severe case of 'tall poppy' syndrome in Australia, someone is too good at something we cut them down.

I'd love to be more positive but honestly I find it really hard and often it leads to disappointment

Comment

Originally posted by FN-P90 View Post
          Im just saying it dosnt make sense. Im not trying to force anyone to do anything.
          It makes sense.... if you expect the worse then you will never be disappointed (of course the universe always has a way of making things worse than you expect) and if the worst doesn't happen then well you have a pleasent surprise.
          A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Well then your just torturing your self. You always have the power to help make your situation better

Comment

Well then your just torturing your self. You always have the power to help make your situation better
              on the contary it is more of a torture to expect everything to go fantasticly well and be completely let down when everything goes down the crapper which it will 9.9 times out of 10
              A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Well thats just a very pesimistic way of looking at things and personaly considering how much i have against how much i dont. My life is pretty darn good so im just gona go one being positive And hope for the best. And to let you know. Most of the time, when i hope for the best. Something good happens to me

Comment

It sure seems that way to me. You're all, "OMG! What's wrong with all you negative people being so negative all the time?! Why can't you be HAPPY?? It isn't hard to do!"

I find there is a LOT in the world that doesn't make sense. Particle physics. The election process. The popularity of Britney Spears. But I'm content that I will never understand EVERYTHING about the universe and I think I'd get a lot more headaches if I did. I'm also content to live and let live. For the most part. When my Heron isn't dismembering people for me.

I have also learned over the years that when people say, "I don't understand how [this group] can think [whatever]" that 99 times out of 100 the people who "don't understand" don't want to understand... they just want to make sure that the world understands them and their confusion/disapproval of the topic at hand.

Understanding why people are miserable is just as "easy" to understand as why people are happy. The reasons number in the millions and they've all been pointed out at one time or another and yet people still say they "don't understand." Personally I don't think it's all that hard to figure out, especially if you read what people have to say on a particular topic.
                  Last edited by ShadowMaat; 12 January 2009, 09:19 PM. Reason: got a bit repetitive at the end and lost my train of... ooo, shiny!

Comment

because overall, the world is in terrible, terrible shape. it's a negative world because there is so much to be negative about.
                    war, murder, rape, poverty, hunger, disease, GREED, and the hardship of simply being able to live day to day in a world that sucks the life out of you, and sucks the money out of your pockets.

i wish the world was all rainbows, carebears, and breakdancing. but it's the complete opposite.

also i blame shadowmaat.

Comment

"Hope for the best, prepare for the worst." That's what I do. That way I can be happy most of the time, without being too let down if things don't go as well as I would have liked. Sort of a "There's always next time" kind of thing.

....then again, I'm a Cubs fan.
                      || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

well, being the resident merry fellow, i'd say happiness and sorrow doesn't come from unfortunate circumstances, or a lack there of, but how you cope with them.
                        Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
                        sigpic

Comment

Simple.

Thinking makes it so...People think negativity=negativity in their lives...?

It could just be my flu meds talking though...
                          By Nolamom
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                            Simple.

Thinking makes it so...People think negativity=negativity in their lives...?

It could just be my flu meds talking though...
                            I think I'm surrounded by attractive cheerleaders......

*looks around* nope nada, squat, nothing....

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
                              I think I'm surrounded by attractive cheerleaders......

*looks around* nope nada, squat, nothing....
                              I could just take the easy way out and cop out like most philosophers and say that you truly aren't believing in the idea of being surrounded by attractive cheerleaders, there fore you are not.
                              By Nolamom
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X