This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
    As I think others have said here the ships are only produced in very small numbers at the moment, so the majority will IMO be going to the USA as they're the ones with the most experience off world.

As far as people saying the Sun Tsu is Chinese, I don't think that we can assume that just because of it's name.
    Perhaps there's an American General who knows about the Stargate program and was a fan of the book, so they thought it would make a good name for the ship and those people who commissioned her liked the sound of it.
    It could even be someone influential who was working at Area 51 or the shipyard on Earth and they got the chance to name it.
    The meaning of the name could even give it's crew more confidence in the ship, at least that may be why it's called Sun Tsu.
    Possible but unlikely. US were using greek tragedies until the Hammond. When we last saw the Chinese diplomats in SG1 were nagging about their position in the program giving them a 304 would placate them

Oh and BTW YutheGreat I personally hope we don't hear about a ship called Prince Harry or Prince William and as far as Big Ben goes I don't think that would sound serious enough.
    What about the Titan?
    Sorry I am not English they were the first things off my head. Either that or I call it The USS Harry Potter!
    Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

Oh and BTW YutheGreat I personally hope we don't hear about a ship called Prince Harry or Prince William and as far as Big Ben goes I don't think that would sound serious enough.
      What about the Titan?
      How about the Queen Elizabeth?
      Or the Colonel Chekov for the Russians, assuming that he is in fact dead.

I say the Russians should be able to build their own at this point. Unlike the Chinese, they do have full access to all ship technologies and have off world experience. Do they still have a team in the SGC?

And as long as the US treats Ivan fairly, Russia is willing to back them up all the way.

Remember that Chekov was only bluffing when he said that the Russians wanted a joint program with the Chinese, they know better.
      By Nolamom
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by YutheGreat View Post
        Until the General Hammond.
        If the British get one maybe name it:

Prince Harry
        Price William
        Big Ben
        Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
        How about the Queen Elizabeth?
        I really hate the idea of naming the ships after royalty, i know the new navy carriers are being named with royal titles but its not my thing.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          that one would be REALLY cool. i mean, its the hero that tamed pegasus..... just as the deadalus was the inventor-it was the first ship, and in a way, the "inventor" of the 302. just as the Oddyssey has its oddyssey[long journey home] in Unending, just as the Apollo[god of light and music] has its "bright" moment during First Strike.[there was alot of light. from the nukes].

just as the phoenix was ressurected[alternate timeline destroyed, and now its "ressurected" in ours].

the korolev was the first russian 304, just as Korolev was the first russian in space.
          sun tzu wrote the art of war, just as the 304 shows the art of war. after all, its a warship.

in that way, the Bellerophron could destroy the Wraith
          I have never actually thought of that! That is seriously ironic!

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix786 View Post
            I have never actually thought of that! That is seriously ironic!
            Hey people forgot the Promethius. The Titan that stole fire from the gods and gave it to man. As Lex Luthor said it essence he gave us technology. Our first ship and gave us the technology to fight back against the Goauld

Bellerophron the monster killer very nice name.
            Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

...But what if another nation in this case the UK had the resources to construct a vessel to add to earths fleet should they build a 304 or create something new?

A longer, yet sleaker vessel?

I'm feeling a future design coming on!

sigpic

Comment

that one would be REALLY cool. i mean, its the hero that tamed pegasus..... just as the deadalus was the inventor-it was the first ship, and in a way, the "inventor" of the 302. just as the Oddyssey has its oddyssey[long journey home] in Unending, just as the Apollo[god of light and music] has its "bright" moment during First Strike.[there was alot of light. from the nukes].

just as the phoenix was ressurected[alternate timeline destroyed, and now its "ressurected" in ours].

the korolev was the first russian 304, just as Korolev was the first russian in space.
                sun tzu wrote the art of war, just as the 304 shows the art of war. after all, its a warship.

in that way, the Bellerophron could destroy the Wraith
                Korolev was NOT the first russian in space. He was the super secret rocket engineer that designed all of the rockets and was the father of soviet space flight. He wasn't even known to his own country, let alone the rest of the world, until after he died. Which then the entire country praised him as a hero of the soviet union.

Comment

do the 304's have 4 docking bays or are the outer 2 for exit and the inner 2 for entery?

Spoiler:

Comment

outer two[the big ones] are for launch and they are the real bays, the smaller ones are retrieval bays

Comment

outer two[the big ones] are for launch and they are the real bays, the smaller ones are retrieval bays
                      Retrieval bays? If that means where the fighters land, then it never made sense to me. I mean, why would they give their pilots these huge wide launch bays, when their launching on a track and thus a confined to a single path, but then give them a landing bay where the pilot will loose his wings if he or she is half an inch off on their approach.
                      "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                      - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                      - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                      - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Unfortuantly the big ones have been seen to act as retrieval bays to, so they cannot be that. Plus looking at the designs of the ship their no obviously ways for the 302s could be transferred back to the launch bays.

I believe they were most likely added to make the ship look more balance and not to leave a giant space between the central hull and the fighter bays, a design decision made by the modellers and the writers have not bothered to come up with a use for them yet. Which point to the lack of time spent between the writers and the CGI people, it been pointed out by Joe in his blog that they only give basic ideas to the cgi people and they let them developed them for their. Unfortuantly I do not think they put in the time and effort the the people that produce the main ships in star Treks, where they planned everything in the ship to scale and where everything would go and whether people could actually use such a craft comfortable and so on.

A other idea is that they are just large cargo bays, given the situation when they were first designing the 304s, it may of been conceive that 304s would do large lifts of cargo for the construction of world bases and sending of supplies to the Atlantis expedition.
                        Last edited by knowles2; 09 January 2009, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                          A other idea is that they are just large cargo bays, given the situation when they were first designing the 304s, it may of be conceive that 304s would do large lifts of cargo for the construction of world bases and sending of supplies to the Atlantis expedition.
                          Thats my thinking as well. They are too small to be retrieval bays and as knowles ha said, there is no visible way to get them back into the main bays.
                          sigpic
                          By *E*K*R*

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                            A other idea is that they are just large cargo bays, given the situation when they were first designing the 304s, it may of be conceive that 304s would do large lifts of cargo for the construction of world bases and sending of supplies to the Atlantis expedition.
                            This makes the most sense to me given the workhorse nature of the 304 design. Or they could be both - i.e. the flight decks are optimised for and designed for the storage, launch and landing of F302s, but can be used for cargo storage if necessary, while the inner two bays are intended for cargo storage but could be used as emergency 302 bays if the flight decks were crippled or otherwise unavailable.
                            And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Secondary bays or cargo storage?

The way we see the bays in early S2 of atlantis looks like there is enough room to go in and out

Go Green

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
                                ...But what if another nation in this case the UK had the resources to construct a vessel to add to earths fleet should they build a 304 or create something new?

A longer, yet sleaker vessel?

I'm feeling a future design coming on!
                                I'd like to see other nations take a stab at Starship design.
                                A sleeker vessel using the Asgard alloy for it's hull or additional armor could be cool to see, even something smaller than a 304 designed as a support craft to the 304s or as a pack attack craft for use against the Wraith or an Earth defense craft could be cool.

A multi national production and development team to cut down on manufacturing times would help and make sense to see.

Rather than just handing ships over to each nation, a multi national approach to creating, crewing and commanding an Earth fleet would be IMO the best way to go.
                                Preventing potential arguments over who gets the next ship, why hasn't the US given the tech to the rest of world to build their own craft and disagreements on how the ships should be used.
                                It could also allow for a variety of different more interesting ship designs to be seen.

Comment

Working...
                                X