This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so what ideas do you have then?

like i said, i don't like the odyssey/hive idea, but right now its all i got. Carter was at the SGC and Landry was in washington, so the Odyssey wouldn't be on a "super secret" 3rd SG-1 film. And I thought they removed the Z(ed)PM from the Odyssey now that it is powered by the Asgard core? If the Hive ship were to come out of hyperspace around Mars they could easily take out the Odyssey before they knew what was happening. And nobody is supposed to know where the Odyssey is, so why would they be trying to contact them in orbit above Mars?? By the time the ship got into the Moon's orbit it is too late to call the Odyssey because they are either dead in the water or just dead.

Comment

Originally posted by quade_1 View Post
      I would have to guess that the hive took out the odyssey prior to them being able to contact earth, maybe even destroying the odyssey, which gave the team time to get through the gate.

Like I said, I am not a fan of the Odyssey/Hive Ship part, but I am 80% convinced the planet Mars has something to do with the new series. This is an open discussion on the idea of Mars playing a role in the new series, let's hear some ideas other than my own!!
      If the Apollo and Sun Tzu were able to survive the battle with the ZPM powered Hive Ship, albeit barely, surely the Odyssey would be able to survive the battle. So I doubt the hive could have completely destroyed it.

I like your idea overall, except for the part with the Odyssey. My guess is the Odyssey is somehow an early plot driver for SU and then the Destiny becomes the featured ship through the duration of the series.
      sigpic

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/brettsuddreth

Comment

The way I see it, the Daedalus already damaged the ship. Then when it was to make repairs, it was attacked again by the Apollo and Sun Tzu. It did as much damage as necessary to leave them crippled and then continued on it's way. Once it reached our solar system, it dropped out of orbit around Mars, where it detected and attacked the Odyssey, whether it was destroyed or crippled remains to be seen. Then it continued on it's way to the moon where it was stationed for a while to completely finish repairs and then launch an attack.

Comment

The way I see it, the Daedalus already damaged the ship. Then when it was to make repairs, it was attacked again by the Apollo and Sun Tzu. It did as much damage as necessary to leave them crippled and then continued on it's way. Once it reached our solar system, it dropped out of orbit around Mars, where it detected and attacked the Odyssey, whether it was destroyed or crippled remains to be seen. Then it continued on it's way to the moon where it was stationed for a while to completely finish repairs and then launch an attack.
          I see what you are saying. I just have a hard time believing that if the Odyssey was in the MW, that whatever mission they were on would have been more important then saving Earth. That leads me to believe that they were so far out that they couldn't get back on time. To further that point, if the fate of Earth hung in the balance once again, wouldn't you recall all ships/resources that you could?
          sigpic

Comment

no i understand but what I am trying to say is that it wasn't by choice they could get back, it was either from damage or lack of communication. Remember it's a "super secret" mission, nobody is supposed to know where they are. And we all know how quickly governments act during disasters right? Even if someone knew how to communicate to them, it would have took atleast half the day to find that person and give them a message.

.....or the ship was blown up

Comment

Why is it so hard for you to accept that this idea is silly?
              What do you mean no one knew where the Oddyssey was? Someone sent them on that mission. When Earth is under imminent threat of attack, that someone recalls the Oddyssey, ESPECIALLY IF IT'S RIGHT NEXT DOOR! Even if the order both for the ship and the base is to maintain complete radio silence, you send a 302 to personally deliver the message. It'd only take a few hours. You send it as soon as the word on the Hive is out and the Oddy is back with days to spare.
              And even if they were stupid enough not to do that, they'd still have the ZPM to keep them alive for a few seconds, in order to tell Earth that "Hey, you know that Hive? It's here early." Yes, they have the ZPM.
              And even if they didn't, Earth tracking systems would have noted that the ship exited hyperspace around Mars, got into a firefight and moved on.
              No matter how secret the mission was, when the ship is right there in the solar system, you call it back home. The fact that they didn't implies that it wasn't anywhere near and it would have taken a long time for them to get the info on the Hive and come back. And it wouldn't surprise me if we never learn what the mission was. It was quite simply a plot device, in order to make the Earth appear in danger, such as moving the chair to Area 51, which is completely undefended(how 'bout a shield, guys? Or how 'bout some rail guns, like in "The Siege 2"?) or the Hive being so super-dupper that nothing can hurt it, not even Atlantis(if that were the case, why didn't the Wraith do that in the first war? They obviously were able to get their hands on ZPMs - such a Hive would have easily destroyed Atlantis within just a few hours, days at most, of bombardment.) or the fact that, for the 7 or so battlecruisers Earth has built, there are only a dozen 302s ready to defend the planet and so on and so on. Everything about the finale was silly so, in that respect, your idea fits. I just hope the writers come to their senses and realise that it would be an insult to viewers to completely re-arrange everything in order to fit their pre-determined dénouement instead of building an actually intelligent story leading up to it.

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                Why is it so hard for you to accept that this idea is silly?
                What do you mean no one knew where the Oddyssey was? Someone sent them on that mission. When Earth is under imminent threat of attack, that someone recalls the Oddyssey, ESPECIALLY IF IT'S RIGHT NEXT DOOR! Even if the order both for the ship and the base is to maintain complete radio silence, you send a 302 to personally deliver the message. It'd only take a few hours. You send it as soon as the word on the Hive is out and the Oddy is back with days to spare.
                And even if they were stupid enough not to do that, they'd still have the ZPM to keep them alive for a few seconds, in order to tell Earth that "Hey, you know that Hive? It's here early." Yes, they have the ZPM.
                And even if they didn't, Earth tracking systems would have noted that the ship exited hyperspace around Mars, got into a firefight and moved on.
                No matter how secret the mission was, when the ship is right there in the solar system, you call it back home. The fact that they didn't implies that it wasn't anywhere near and it would have taken a long time for them to get the info on the Hive and come back. And it wouldn't surprise me if we never learn what the mission was. It was quite simply a plot device, in order to make the Earth appear in danger, such as moving the chair to Area 51, which is completely undefended(how 'bout a shield, guys? Or how 'bout some rail guns, like in "The Siege 2"?) or the Hive being so super-dupper that nothing can hurt it, not even Atlantis(if that were the case, why didn't the Wraith do that in the first war? They obviously were able to get their hands on ZPMs - such a Hive would have easily destroyed Atlantis within just a few hours, days at most, of bombardment.) or the fact that, for the 7 or so battlecruisers Earth has built, there are only a dozen 302s ready to defend the planet and so on and so on. Everything about the finale was silly so, in that respect, your idea fits. I just hope the writers come to their senses and realise that it would be an insult to viewers to completely re-arrange everything in order to fit their pre-determined dénouement instead of building an actually intelligent story leading up to it.

ANYWAY!!!! stop just bashing the guys idea, its just a theory he came up with,give him a break sheesh!

as I was saying anyway, lets just say then that the odyssesy wasn't at the base on mars when the hive appeared and was on a secret mission somewhere else in the galaxy. The hive still could have picked up any number of energy readings from mars and deciding it was a threat, decided to bombard it from space, forcing them through the gate and starting Stargate Universe!

just cause the odyssesy probably wasnt there doesnt completly blow his theory out the window!
                Enjoying Stargate's Technobabble since 1997

If you like the Gateworld podcast be sure to listen the The 5th Race Podcast for a fan's view of the Stargate Franchise! and join the forums while you at it![/CENTER]

Comment

no i understand but what I am trying to say is that it wasn't by choice they could get back, it was either from damage or lack of communication. Remember it's a "super secret" mission, nobody is supposed to know where they are. And we all know how quickly governments act during disasters right? Even if someone knew how to communicate to them, it would have took atleast half the day to find that person and give them a message.

.....or the ship was blown up
                  One thing is for sure, they weren't able to get back for some reason. Hopefully it will be revealed at some point in the movies. You don't drop a nugget like that without knowing you will circle back to it in the movies or SU.
                  sigpic

Comment

Well.... What if the odyssey got transported through the gate and found itself in a dark room (would explain why the senators daughter ends up in the show?)

Turns out the dark room is a bay that is inside the destiny.

We have seen people being transported through gates before (Season 10 of SG1?)

This would be good because we could still have X304s (i think that is the right code for Daedlus class ships)

Comment

I half expected this to be one of those stupid theorys you some times hear some times. But it makes sense other than a few things and i like it it could work as the start of universe.
                      sigpic
                      Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
                      Metal gear fan

Comment

Originally posted by amforster View Post
                        Well.... What if the odyssey got transported through the gate and found itself in a dark room (would explain why the senators daughter ends up in the show?)

Turns out the dark room is a bay that is inside the destiny.

We have seen people being transported through gates before (Season 10 of SG1?)

This would be good because we could still have X304s (i think that is the right code for Daedlus class ships)
                        I think the big thing we are missing here is that the premise of SU is that the team can't get home because the Destiny is on "permanent autopilot". If the Odyssey was there, they could simply plot a course to the nearest known Stargate, or start back towards the MW or PG. Unless they are waaaaay out in the middle of some unkown galaxy. Which it sounds like is the case.
                        sigpic

Comment

Sure the idea has some flaws, but hey so does every damn idea that the writers of the shows churn out week after week.

This idea shows brilliant imagination and to be honest, I was able to get over some minor logic flaws as it just had me hooked.

Now after reading the post I watched that teaser vid and maybe I am colour blind but I didn't see the redness of the planet that others may have seen, however the red chevrons looked pretty good!!!
                          sigpic

Comment

reddevil you haven't read any of my previous posts so you could please keep the negativity somewhere else? thank you

Although I will miss the X-304s, I can't see them playing any role in SGU. The X-304 is a big ship, when the Daedalus landed beside Atlantis it fit between the piers. The entire hangar bay of the Destiny would have to be about the size of Atlantis, which would make a gigantic ship. And like _Ancients_ said they could just jump in and go home.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                              I'm assuming the intent was for the attack to have occured before that vessel reached earth.
                              Maybe. I still don't like that part, though.

Comment

reddevil you haven't read any of my previous posts so you could please keep the negativity somewhere else? thank you
                                Oh, I read them all and they don't make sense...in regards to the Oddyssey and the Hive, anyway. The base being on Mars isn't impossible. It may very well happen. But having the attack come from the Hive and the Oddyssey being there doesn't make sense. If you're not gonna accept criticism for a theory, then why post it?

Comment

Working...
                                X