Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2936373839

Default Re: Children of the Gods (101)

These ones are still much better than those major ones, when the stargate has got only 8 chevrons or when both side has got glyphs.... We would expect that some producer or supervisor will coordinate and check such things even if different VFX teams worked on the SG shows.
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

Chief Master Sergeant

the antarctic gate is earths gate, the gould brought the egypt gate with them etc.... they used space ships to move it for convenience to get more human slaves... and you know.... basically go visit "party" planet etc, the gould are big on parties, we just always get to see them when they are hung over after words

Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Platschu View Post
    These ones are still much better than those major ones, when the stargate has got only 8 chevrons or when both side has got glyphs.... We would expect that some producer or supervisor will coordinate and check such things even if different VFX teams worked on the SG shows.
    You would think so, wouldn't you.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Yes please! Thank you!

RDA wasn't interested in playing O'Neil. He wanted the character to have more "humor" in a manner of speaking, less military rigid, so they changed him up a bit and added an second L.
    For the longest time I didn't know that so when Jack mentioned the "other O'neil" with one "l" I really though it was a senseless random thing.

11.34 on the puzzle. I love the first two episodes, they transition well from the movie, and are a great set up arc.

signature art by lunasera

What I was always missing from SG-1 to explain why Abydos had the address map of the Goa'uld ruled worlds? Has this planet played some dominant role in the past? Why would Ra bothered to put this list on a simple and obviously not that important naquadah mining colony instead of Dakara or any famous Goa'uld homeworld? Somehow I have always imagined that Abydos used to be a rich world, but then their climate has turned dry and the big gardens and plantation have gone as the desert has taken over the planet. Abydos could have been a meeting point of the Goa'uld dynasty as it was the closest to Earth, before our solar system has disappeared from their eyes (maybe Nox or Asgard cloaking could explain it).
    "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

http://picasaweb.google.com/103478402021017098633

He also had a chamber in the Abydos pyramid where he kept valuable possessions like the Eye of Ra.

I don't know about the idea that it was universally important in Goa'uld culture. In "Full Circle" (S6, E22), Daniel said that Anubis "looked everywhere Ra used to hang out" before trying Abydos. If it was once an important world, I'd imagine that it would be higher on Anubis' list of places to search. It sounds more like like Anubis thought it was just a backwater planet of no real importance, which may have been the point. What better hiding spot than somewhere that nobody would suspect you valued? Additionally, it's close to Earth, which means it was likely deep in Ra's territory, and nobody is going to be foolish to try to take a centrally positioned naquadah mine by ship like they might if it was near the border.

Why there would also be a list of all known gate addresses inscribed in stone, I don't know. Based on how the Goa'uld's genetic memory was depicted in "Absolute Power" (Daniel was able to use memories to create new technologies from scratch), Ra should have been able to easily commit all those addresses to memory. Maybe they were for Jaffa or human use before the rebellion on Earth. It's possible that back then humans were trusted to make naquadah shipments themselves and were thought to need very little oversight since they were toiling for their gods.

Ra found Earth and presumably shipped humans all throughout the galaxy for the other Goa'uld to use. We know very little about when the Goa'uld devolved into factionalism, but humans are a powerful resource for the Goa'uld, so if they were dolled out freely that suggests to me that the Goa'uld weren't prone to the same level of infighting back then. If that's the case, perhaps naquadah also flowed freely from planets like Abydos rather than solely serving the needs of an individual System Lord.

For all we know, cartouches were more common thousands of years ago and many simply didn't survive rebellions and the post Earth rebellion crackdown. A point in that favor is that there has been some evidence of gate addresses being carved elsewhere. Earth had the one to Abydos and could've had more that didn't survive or haven't been found yet. The planet from "The Other Side" (S4, E2) said that while digging up the gate they also found writing with Earth's address. Then there's the planet in "Cure" (S6, E10), which was also a Ra controlled world back in the day and also had a rather comprehensive list of addresses:

DOLLEN
    But we haven't determined how to make a connection with the many worlds described in the writings in the temple.
    cartouche

JONAS
    From what we can piece together, Ra used this planet as his base of operations in this sector of the galaxy.

TEAL'C
    Centuries later a rival Goa'uld named Shak'ran captured this world in battle, forcing Ra to abandon it.
    On the other hand, the cartouche on Abydos was in a building separate from Ra's pyramid, and the one in "Cure" was in a temple alongside writings that detailed what happened after Ra abandoned the planet. Humans certainly could have added writing alongside Goa'uld carvings, but if the Abydos building was also a temple there's a good chance their worshipers created and maintained those buildings. The Jaffa have temples and priests to this day. Maybe they had outposts on those two planets way back when or maybe humans were allowed to run their own temples during that era. Based on how easily Bra'tac is able to come and go, the Jaffa seem to have free reign to the use the gate and the same probably would've applied to a hypothetical clergy class of humans as well.

Since Ra was the chief System Lord, maybe his priests were permitted to travel to worlds beyond his sphere of influence and that's why we've only see comprehensive cartouches on his planets, or maybe his priests were not supposed to know about all those addresses and were overstepping by collecting and recording them.
    Last edited by Xaeden; April 12th, 2020 at 09:49 AM.

I was thinking that if he was the Supreme Systemlord, maybe it was a list of his territory or domains. Maybe it was meant for his priests and Jaffas, just he was not interested to "update" it regularly. Or maybe the Goa'uld has used their own genetic memory as you have written, so their brain could store more informations than any computer.

Thanks for the info from "Cure" as I just wanted to say it would have been nice to find such lists on other Goa'uld controlled worlds.

True. It could be that the other System Lords started off as Ra's under lords, so he may well have considered all of those gated planets throughout the galaxy as belonging to him at one point. Unfortunately, we know very little about Goa'uld history, so how they organized themselves at the time is largely guesswork.

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by Xaeden View Post
    True. It could be that the other System Lords started off as Ra's under lords, so he may well have considered all of those gated planets throughout the galaxy as belonging to him at one point. Unfortunately, we know very little about Goa'uld history, so how they organized themselves at the time is largely guesswork.
    I've always wondered about this myself. With the introduction of the Tok'ra, it's possible to assume the Goa'uld weren't always evil. They probably started out as a true benevolent symbiotic relationship with their hosts but over time those relationships were corrupted with the introduction of less than desirable malevolent hosts and symbiotes. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they weren't accidentally created by the Ancients like the Wraith were.

Unfortunately we'll never know anything more about the current Stargate universe until a new series continues where they left off, but the showrunners let a major backstory slip through their fingers by not developing the Goa'uld's history.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFourtyTwo View Post
    I've always wondered about this myself. With the introduction of the Tok'ra, it's possible to assume the Goa'uld weren't always evil. They probably started out as a true benevolent symbiotic relationship with their hosts but over time those relationships were corrupted with the introduction of less than desirable malevolent hosts and symbiotes
    I don't know that they were ever fully good, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were more good symbiotes prior to Egeria who the Goa'uld eradicated.

It's been implied a few times that their reliance on sarcophagus technology made their behavior far more malicious than it needed to be. Hence the Tok'ra's aversion it.

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2936373839