Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Sun Tzu : Open discussion/Source of the name ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sun Tzu : Open discussion/Source of the name ?

So I've officially waited until after the Sun Tzu was named in the last episode of Atlantis to post this.

In Enemy at the Gate, Col. Caldwell mentions the Sun Tzu as one of Earth's Battlecruisers. What he didn't say is what nation the Sun Tzu belongs to. It is my assumption that it is a Chinese vessel because Sun Tzu is an ancient Chinese General and author of "The Art of War".

What do you all think?

As much as i want a Chinese 304, but let's be objective.

Sun Tzu is a widely respected historical figure, and admire by military offical everywhere.
    The 304 phoenix is being rename the "Hammond", May be US military is trying to name ship a bit less Greek.More Politically correct.

Comment

It's possible that the Chinese are involved with Sun Tzu, like how the Russians had that one ship in SG-1 season 10. The Russians really need a lot to leverage for one though.
      I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

Originally posted by Quinn Mallory View Post
        It's possible that the Chinese are involved with Sun Tzu, like how the Russians had that one ship in SG-1 season 10. The Russians really need a lot to leverage for one though.
        But remember the Chinese IOA rep was right beside the russians when they denied the US their Stargate. It is possible that the both of them conspired together for some sort of benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by ckwongau View Post
          As much as i want a Chinese 304, but let's be objective.

Sun Tzu is a widely respected historical figure, and admire by military offical everywhere.
          The 304 phoenix is being rename the "Hammond", May be US military is trying to name ship a bit less Greek.More Politically correct.
          ...why would the Americans choose to name their ship after a hero of a fellow IOA member nation? It makes no sense? We know that greece is not a primary IOA member, so the US is free to use greek names.

Basically, what you propose is equivalent to the United States naming a Battle Cruiser the Queen Elizabeth.............

Comment

its probolly a chinese ship which would be very neat to see.

ATLANTIS FOREVER

Comment

I'd expect that the Chinese built the Sun Tzu. We name our ships and stuff after famous and strong mythos figures while other countries tend toward ancient heroes. Not much difference and there is some overlap, but Korolev was the father of modern [Russian] rocketry, and Sun Tzu wrote a military book used even today!
              When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
              Zatnikitelman

Comment

Originally posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
                I'd expect that the Chinese built the Sun Tzu. We name our ships and stuff after famous and strong mythos figures while other countries tend toward ancient heroes. Not much difference and there is some overlap, but Korolev was the father of modern [Russian] rocketry, and Sun Tzu wrote a military book used even today!
                Agreed. It makes sense that it was China. They've been one of the major partners after Russia, so I imagine they were quick to get into the space ship game.
                Rush rocks.

Comment

While it was nice to see it mentioned, i would have loved to actually have seen it.

Comment

Of course its a Chinese ship!! Could you honestly believe the US would name a 304 after a Chinese historical figure?? Thats about as likely as them naming a 304 the 'Lewinsky'. For the same reasons, each country has its own heroes that they would name a ship after, well before they would even consider naming it after a foreign hero.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                      Of course its a Chinese ship!! Could you honestly believe the US would name a 304 after a Chinese historical figure?? Thats about as likely as them naming a 304 the 'Lewinsky'. For the same reasons, each country has its own heroes that they would name a ship after, well before they would even consider naming it after a foreign hero.
                      Oh yeah, Monica Lewinsky is such a renowned philosopher and scholar. How could you possibly compare Sun Tzu and Monica Lewinsky? Sun Tzu is a very influential historical figure known and respected by many countries and culture. Plus Prometheus, Daedalus, and Apollo aren't American historical figures either.

Comment

Perhaps, but they're the mythological/historical equivalent of public domain. Everyone knows them, everyone's heard their myths plus, except for the Native Americans, the U.S. doesn't have any ancient historical/mythological figures we can look back on like other cultures do.
                        When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
                        Zatnikitelman

Comment

I will be very dissapointed if the Sun Tzu isn't Chinese. I have been wanting to see the other nations play a greater role in the Stargate program since Disclosure. I was actually hoping the Chinese IOA woman would replace Woolsey. I like Woolsey, but i am tired of the all the main characters being North American. It was fine when only the US was involved, but that is no longer the case. So here's hoping there will be more Chinese ships as well as ships from other countries.
                          sigpic

Comment

i seriously doubt the American military would surrender advanced Asgard technology to the Chinese. We already dont like them in reality, i seriously doubt we'd roll over and give them a ship in the stargate reality. Sun Tzu is a widely respected historical figure and his teachings are taught throughout many countries.

The chinese with a 304...haha wow how funny. They'd probably use it to beam tibetian exiles into space.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
                              Oh yeah, Monica Lewinsky is such a renowned philosopher and scholar. How could you possibly compare Sun Tzu and Monica Lewinsky? Sun Tzu is a very influential historical figure known and respected by many countries and culture. Plus Prometheus, Daedalus, and Apollo aren't American historical figures either.
                              The point was, the US are extremely patriotic and love naming big things after their own heroes. The US naming something so important after a Chinese figure was just as likely as the Lewinsky name. Logic dictates that the Sun Tzu would be a Chinese ship.....I would bet my house on it!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X