AT's English accent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AT's English accent

So I'm currently watching episodes 1 and 2 of the TV version of Sanctuary, now, as a Brit, I'm quite happy to see a British character on American television. But AT's accent sounds quite odd to me. Now I don't know whether or not it's because I'm just so used to hearing her normal accent from Stargate, or if it's because her accent is actually not that good. I'm not character bashing here, just asking a question. Now of course, NO ONE recognises their own accent do they? So I'd like to know what other people here think, US viewers, does AT sound British in your opinion? UK Viewers - do you think the same, or does it sound like a put on accent.

For that matter, US viewers - does Hugh Laurie's character 'House' sound naturally American to you, or does it sound like he's putting a US accent on?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

i'd say her accent improves greatly after the pilot for a start, either that, or it really grew on me.

are her parents english? i know she was born and lived in england when she was a kid.
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    sigpic

Comment

When I watched the webisodes I hated the accent. With the tv show it has grown on me.

I think I hated it so much at first because I was so used to hearing AT's normal accent, therefore I knew it was false. As the episodes have progressed and I've gotten to know the character of Helen a bit better, I am now used to hearing the accent and think it's okay. It fits perfectly for a woman born in Victorian times speaking with Received Pronunciation with a touch of modern-day english.

I also think that Amanda has now settled into the accent, so it doesn't feel as forced as at first.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
        i'd say her accent improves greatly after the pilot for a start, either that, or it really grew on me.

are her parents english? i know she was born and lived in england when she was a kid.
        That would seem to suggest that it's just because it's unusual for me to hear her talk like that, which is good.

After a lousy US accent put on by the great Phillip Glennister (Gene Hunt), I seem to be paying a lot of attention to this kind of stuff tbh...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
          That would seem to suggest that it's just because it's unusual for me to hear her talk like that, which is good.

After a lousy US accent put on by the great Phillip Glennister (Gene Hunt), I seem to be paying a lot of attention to this kind of stuff tbh...
          I think that, as you watch more of the episodes, you'll begin to forget about the accent because you'll be watching Helen, and not Amanda/Sam.

I haven't heard Phillip Gennister's US accent, but I have heard plenty of dodgy accents over the years. Thankfully, I feel that Amanda's isn't one of them.
          sigpic

Comment

I think my biggest 'issue' with her accent is that it tends to get lost when she yells. She can keep it when she's talking normally, but when she yells it fades. something i guess will get better over time

On a similar topic, i heard hugh laurie speak in his regular brit accent last ngiht on the peoples choice awards, and even his voice is different. it's like the accent changes the whole tone and timber
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              On a similar topic, i heard hugh laurie speak in his regular brit accent last ngiht on the peoples choice awards, and even his voice is different. it's like the accent changes the whole tone and timber
              Hugh Laurie is a mad genius.

There was a certain episode where House called someone pretending to be British, and Laurie's British "accent" was priceless. A Brit putting on an American accent putting on a Brit accents.

Freaking. Priceless.

....ahem....back to topic.
              sigpic

Comment

Amanda has said that she worked on the accent; it's not a 'pure' british accent, because Helen has moved and lived around the world for many years (she is 157 years old ) and accents do change when you move to different countries. My mom and her 2 sisters were all born and lived in Poland, but each has a different amount of the accent now. They have lived in Canada for many years now
                sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

It sounds good to me. As she explained she wasn't going for a "pure" accent b/c Helen has lived all around the world. It reminds me of people I've known from England but who have lived in the US for years. I do think it gets better/more consistent a few episodes in. Now I'm so used to Helen's accent it sounds weird to hear AT talk as herself.

On another accent: I was watching Without a Trace this week & Poppy Montgomery sounded very inconsistent. Usually she's fine, but she definitely had a sort of Australian twang several times.

Comment

in BSG, when he starts to rant, i can really pick up the canadian in Tigh. most of the time he's fine, but when he gets going he really get nasaly and....well canadahian
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                      in BSG, when he starts to rant, i can really pick up the canadian in Tigh. most of the time he's fine, but when he gets going he really get nasaly and....well canadahian

:: takes offense and storms off ::

I never much minded Tapping's accent myself. It's more of a generic "proper" English accent than it is really British....if that made any sense.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                        :: takes offense and storms off ::
                        *pays Sky*

Maybe its because I'm not Britsh but AT's accent never bothered me. Its more what she does with accent. I'm the kind of person who was never bothered by Grodin's terrible accent in SGA.So as long Magnus is an interesting character I don't care how bad her accent is.
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          *pays Sky*

Maybe its because I'm not Britsh but AT's accent never bothered me. Its more what she does with accent. I'm the kind of person who was never bothered by Grodin's terrible accent in SGA.So as long Magnus is an interesting character I don't care how bad her accent is.
                          Grodin was eye candy...'nuff said.

I don't know, jelly. I think you'd care if it happened to be one of those nearly incomprehensible British accents.
                          sigpic

Comment

Well "British accent" is a wide term. England has many different types of accents, just as America and Canada do. Different parts of a country speak differently. Keep in mind also that accents change over time. A London accent in the 1700's was probably much different then the accent of modern Londoners....

"Yes Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry!" ~Sheppard
                            (one of my favourite lines)

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                              Grodin was eye candy...'nuff said.

I don't know, jelly. I think you'd care if it happened to be one of those nearly incomprehensible British accents.
                              I doubt it as long as I can understand the language but its probably one of those things you won't know until you see them on TV
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X