This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upcoming changes in the Character and Relationship Folder

First I do want to say, yes, these will be some of the last changes implemented. That being said, we'd like the input of those that play in the threads in some of these changes, but there are just so many of them that we feel the need to start the discussion now so that we can have things in place for later.

Some of the threads in the Character and Relationships area simply do not fit the Community Statement. We know this, you know this. So things need to be tweaked and changed.

In a lot of cases, the changes can be nothing more than removing the 'pro' and 'anti' from thread titles. In other cases, we'll be doing some merging. In going over every SG1 and SGA thread that's seen activity in the past year, we've found lots of duplicates, 'new' threads on a topic that already exists (for example, I think the Ronon and Keller ship topic has three threads dedicated to it, so we just need to clean those up).

Our plan is this:

The 'Readers Digest' Version

The mods will work on 1-2 pairings/characters per week.

They will start a thread in the Forum and Announcements area and will ONLY hold the discussions in that one thread

They will discuss the topic for a week. No more.

They will decide – with your input – a course of action, post it, then close the thread.

Later on, March/April or so, these changes will be implemented. If participants agree, they can be implemented sooner, but it's not mandatory.

Changes WILL be made. We have an idea of the atmosphere we want to create and foster and that is our goal. We welcome your input but we do have Darren's goal to work towards.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

The Long Version

Which I hope will answer some questions:

The mods have lists and that's what they'll be working from. Now, please bear in mind that there's a lot of crossovers. For example, do a search for McKay, then do a search for Weir, then do a search for Keller and you're gonna find some threads that appear on at least two of those three lists. Those threads won't be dealt with two different times, rather we randomly split the pairings up.

So I can't tell you, off the top of my head, if the shep/telya ship thread will be dealt with with the shep threads or with the Teyla threads, but it'll be dealt with with one of them. And it was randomly split up.

There will be one or two mods per character/pairing. And our hope is that that with a dedicated mod(s) things will be more streamlined and less confusing.

Roughly once a week we will post the discussion threads in the Forum and Announcements area. The mod will then post invites in the affected threads to get people to come over to the FA area to talk it over/see what we're planning. The mods will NOT discuss these changes anywhere but in the discussion threads. They have enough to do without having to keep track of a handful of threads, not to mention taking those threads off topic.

Posters will have a week to look over/provide input on the suggested changes. No more. This isn't something that will drag on for weeks and weeks. At the end of that week, the mod will close the discussion thread after posting a 'this is what we're gonna do' post and that topic will be over.
    Later on, when we implement these changes, we'll refer back to these posts so that we know what to do.

One thing these threads are NOT for is to debate whether or not things will change. The community statement is not a topic of debate. It's implemented and is 'done'. Please don't bog down these threads where we're wanting to take action with off topic debate.

This will be a process that grows and is refined as we use it. While we do have a guidelines to follow and goals to attain, each thread will be looked at based on its own merits. The attitudes of the participants will be taken into consideration. Willingness to change will be taken into consideration. Those that express willingness to alter any rule breaking behavior will be acknowledged and we'll do our best to work WITH people to make these changes.

That being said, we do have a picture of how we want things to be and the attitudes and atmosphere we want this forum to have, and the mods will be making their decisions with that picture in mind.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Sky. I get the feeling I'm gonna be lurking around this part of the Forum a lot in the near future
      sigpic

Comment

Like Oma said, thanks for the heads up. I'm sure many/all of us will be watching for the invites in whatever threads we frequent.
        sigpic
        Sig by Ikorni for Secret Santa

Comment

I agree with the two posters above. And thanks for laying out the plan so we can get a better grasp of how this process will take place. I know that's going to be very helpful.

Comment

I do have a question. Will you post an announcement in the Character/Relationship folder each week and/or the thread that it partains?

Comment

If we happen to miss a thread with our invites, we hope that participants will help us spread the word.

For example, we may be dealing with 10 threads in and around SHeppard, but maybe only 4 of those have any real activity, so the invites are likely going to go to the major threads devoted to a particular character or pairing that that character is involved in. With the hope that if we hit the - for example - three busiest threads around a character, word will spread.

We have no set number to post the invites in, it'll differ from character to character. Some are really spread out across several threads, other characters only have 2-3 threads devoted to them.

some character based threads need little to no work at all.

So if a thread is missed, it's not a slight or anything deliberate, it's just an oops

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by greytop View Post
                I do have a question. Will you post an announcement in the Character/Relationship folder each week and/or the thread that it partains?
                we can. WE can make a stickied thread with an update like

Ronon and Teyla fans, head over to the forum announcements area to have your say please'

or something like that. to keep folks updated

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  we can. WE can make a stickied thread with an update like

Ronon and Teyla fans, head over to the forum announcements area to have your say please'

or something like that. to keep folks updated
                  That's a good idea. People might miss a post in their favored threads...but they could remember to quickly check for what's stickied that week.

Comment

Okay, I'm really confused.

Way I'm reading things ... each week, you pick a character, and all the people involved in threads relating to that character join up here to ... Discuss whether to delete or merge? Or what?

Comment

each week we'll pick one or two characters....simply because it'll be easier to handle a few posters at a time.

we have a list of threads that pertain to that character...such as i have a list of all the threads about vala or a pairing that vala is in, and we've looked over them and sussed out the ones that have pro or anti in the title. And found ones that are the same and need to be merged (like the three threads to discuss ronon/keller, two of which haven't been active in a while, or the several threads that are Rodney discussion threads)

We have the list, we have an idea of what we think needs to be done. We'll start a discussion thread, with this list in it to let you guys know and to get some input. For example, if we're gonna take the pro or anti out of a title, do the participants want a different title?

this way posters know what's coming, have some input into what's to come adn aren't just blindsided by the mods sweeping in and making changes in a couple of months.

We should start doing this next week so when you see the threads go up, pop in, even if you don't care about that character, and see how things are going, and you'll have an idea of our plans.

What we want to do is make these changes, but not make them in a vacuum. We want to include folks as best we can so that they can have some say in how their threads are handled.

oh, and no threads will be deleted. Some may be closed and the topic re-started under a different name but none will be deleted. No one will lose any posts.

sigpic

Comment

Okay, that makes more sense.

Though I saw that a whole bunch of the older Anti thread have already been closed when I was searching for something. But I'm glad they aren't deleted for fandom-history purposes.

Comment

threads will NOT be deleted.

Just in case anyone is worrying. We won't go deleting history, be it something we're 'proud' of or not.

sigpic

Comment

If I can be honest here....this whole debate on what to close and what not to close is kind of like visiting the dentist and getting a filling. Hearing the drilling drive me nuts and this is doing the same thing. Why not just knock us out and do what you've decided already to do. I hear the drilling now....

Ya know I love ya all

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                              threads will NOT be deleted.

Just in case anyone is worrying. We won't go deleting history, be it something we're 'proud' of or not.
                              ok....good news. Those of us who hang out in a couple of threads that pertain to one actor were getting nervous...

Comment

Working...
                              X