Dr Janet Fraiser/Teryl Rothery Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dani347
    I happen to think Heroes did Janet a disservice. I'll put it in spoilers.
    Spoiler:
    Aside from the fact that I don't think killing off Janet was necessary or even a good idea, I think it was done badly. Janet wasn't just some unknown person. We had gotten to know and care about her. An episode where she died should have been a tribute to her. It should have been about her. Instead, they decided to do a "fooled you!" by making it seem like Jack died for a large part of the episode. And, what was the point of that? Well, I have my theories, but I'll refrain from bringing that up. But, what were they hoping the audience reaction would be when they found out it wasn't Jack? Relief that it was only Janet? One of the things I found fitting was Daniel's grief.
    I agree. I think it could have been handled with a little more sensitivity. The one who got to me was General Hammond. His reaction just broke my heart.
    "You cannot reason with your own heart;
    it has it's own laws and beats about things
    which the intellect scorns."
    - Mark Twain -

Comment

I miss Janet too! She was always my favourite character in SG1 right from the start. Teryl's portrayl of her was amazing and no-one can ever fill the hole that's been left now she's not on the show anymore. I miss Janet she was such a strong and kick ass female character!

Comment

I happen to think Heroes did Janet a disservice. I'll put it in spoilers.
        Spoiler:
        Aside from the fact that I don't think killing off Janet was necessary or even a good idea, I think it was done badly. Janet wasn't just some unknown person. We had gotten to know and care about her. An episode where she died should have been a tribute to her. It should have been about her. Instead, they decided to do a "fooled you!" by making it seem like Jack died for a large part of the episode. And, what was the point of that? Well, I have my theories, but I'll refrain from bringing that up. But, what were they hoping the audience reaction would be when they found out it wasn't Jack? Relief that it was only Janet? One of the things I found fitting was Daniel's grief.
        I said it before and I'll say it again, I hate how they handled it.

Spoiler:
        The entire episode was just "Look! Someone died... it might be Jack.... Do you think it's Jack yet? Look! Sam's crying, maybe you shippers might think it was Jack! Look how sad everyone is, think it's Jack yet?

HA! Fooled you! It was only Janet! Oh, I guess we'll pay a little tribute to her and everything... but we're still gloating over how we made you think it was Jack.

No one was fooled, and I was extremely POed that they would handle it that way. They tried to make it seem more like "real life" when it really wasn't! If Jack died, I think everyone would have known that it was Jack.

Oh well, I got to see TR in some Christmas movie, that made me happy and everytime she came on screen I screamed "JANET LIVES!"
        Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
        RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Janet was my second favourite character of all time, and the ONE person I didnt' want to die... My best friend, who's alias is Janet (like i'm Sam) and the day Heroes came out, we skipped work and watched it, at which point we BAWLED OUR EYES OUT. From about 5 minutes into the second part onwards we used up I swear a pack of kleenex each! Never cried so much about any TV show, Movie, anything. Was depressed for like, 3 weeks after it! It was horrible!

Why couldn't SAM have died?!!? Janet had to LIVE, (and get with Daniel!!!!) :'(
          The Von MajorSam Family Singers debut CD... Coming soon

^^Sam/Jack^^
          |||Official Member of the Chevron Guy Fan Club||

Comment

I stopped watching Stargate for awhile, but for some reason decided to watch Heroes Pt.1 and I was like "Hey, this isn't that bad" so I tuned in for Heroes Pt. 2 to see
            Spoiler:
            Janet die. I was in complete shock! I didn't look at any of the spoilers (like I used to do) so I wasn't prepared or anything and then they tried to make it look like Jack died! I didn't see any of the spoilers or anything so if I wasn't fooled, then it was really bad. So then I was just mad.
            RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

Comment

On the other hand, the way she died was effective. I think that just made it more shocking. It was like a kick in the gut for the team (and audience). She is definitely missed.

Comment

I think I'd rather have an honest emotional tribute than something done for shock value. One of the best farewell episodes ever on a show (non sci-fi) was Newsradio. Of course, Phil Hartman had died in real life, so the emotional level was already more than any fictional death could be, but the writing left no doubt that it was about saying goodbye to his character. The episode was about Bill McNeal and how the characters would miss him. Another good departure on the same show was when Khandi Alexander left. Her character didn't die, but the show that she left in was about her (even with special credits) and about her departure. It seemed to me that Heroes wasn't about Janet, and it should have been. But, I still say it made no sense to do it anyway. For shock value? I think if that's the reason for getting rid of a well known character, that's a pretty poor reason. To show that death happens? I think we're all aware of that, and we're all aware of how dangerous real life soldiers lives are, and can well imagine without needing somone to point it out like that how much more dangerous life defending the planet would be.
                I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

I think I'd rather have an honest emotional tribute than something done for shock value.... The episode was about Bill McNeal and how the characters would miss him. .... It seemed to me that Heroes wasn't about Janet, and it should have been. But, I still say it made no sense to do it anyway. For shock value? I think if that's the reason for getting rid of a well known character, that's a pretty poor reason. To show that death happens? I think we're all aware of that, and we're all aware of how dangerous real life soldiers lives are, and can well imagine without needing somone to point it out like that how much more dangerous life defending the planet would be.
                  I would have wanted the episode to be more about Janet too, rather than the "guessing who's dead" thing. That said, I guess what I meant was no dramatic death scene, hanging on just to impart words of wisdom & that jazz.
                  I think I heard that they thought the show would be ending (one of many false alarms, it seems) and so it wouldn't be like she'd be missing many episodes. Also, with the skilled cast and (usually) skilled writers, they *could* have made us feel a loss for a character we hadn't seen before if they were just going for the "dangerous job/people die" angle. I thought they did that pretty well with the SG guy who killed himself in "the Light" & with the guy stuck on the black hole planet.

Comment

Shocking? Don't we get enough of that when just about every main character has died or been in a life threatening situation? Don't we get more of it when that same main character makes a miraculous come back? If Janet had to die, I agree with Dani, it should have been more of an emotional tribute than something just done for shock value. And she didn't have to die anyway or she should just come back somehow for season 9. The show would need an already developed character with RDA basically gone, AT probably not in all of the eps, and BB just coming to the show as the newbie. Plus, all the new doctors are scary robots made by Ben Stein.

Comment

this is my first post and I had to post here because I adore Janet. I've seen Heroes quite a few times now and still cry everytime. The episode was so senseless to me. Usually when there is a "death" on a tv show there is a reason behind it. Everytime I see Heroes I try to figure it out but it seems like Janet was killed just to kill off a character. If it wasn't bad enough that Daniel was being pushed into the background they go and kill off the one last strong woman on the show ('cause Sam's become a weepy girly girl unfortunatly). Although I have to admit (I'm a bit weird) Heroes is one of my favorite episodes despite everything.
                      ::Bridget aka: Lucky::
                      [email protected]

De-Nile is not just a river in Egypt--Heroes...huh?
                      Proud Dan/Jan Shipper

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySGC921
                        The episode was so senseless to me. Usually when there is a "death" on a tv show there is a reason behind it. Everytime I see Heroes I try to figure it out but it seems like Janet was killed just to kill off a character.
                        Exactly. There was no point. It was bad storytelling.

Hey, since I'm among friends, I'll say that Janet was always my favorite female character.

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

Janets the best. I cant believe they got rid of her.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySGC921
                            this is my first post and I had to post here because I adore Janet. I've seen Heroes quite a few times now and still cry everytime. The episode was so senseless to me. Usually when there is a "death" on a tv show there is a reason behind it. Everytime I see Heroes I try to figure it out but it seems like Janet was killed just to kill off a character. If it wasn't bad enough that Daniel was being pushed into the background they go and kill off the one last strong woman on the show ('cause Sam's become a weepy girly girl unfortunatly). Although I have to admit (I'm a bit weird) Heroes is one of my favorite episodes despite everything.
                            Yay! Welcome!

I prefer Janet over Sam too (go ahead, flame me, I don't care). Sam was good at first, but then she progressively got to be a weaker character. ((I blame the "ship" but that's just me)).

There wasn't a reason for it! They said they wanted to prove that death was real and the risks that real soldiers take. I think everyone that watches the show realizes that death is real and appreciates the risks that soldiers take. It's not a very good reason to kill a character.

Comment

Originally posted by NightGloom
                              Yay! Welcome!

I prefer Janet over Sam too (go ahead, flame me, I don't care). Sam was good at first, but then she progressively got to be a weaker character. ((I blame the "ship" but that's just me)).

There wasn't a reason for it! They said they wanted to prove that death was real and the risks that real soldiers take. I think everyone that watches the show realizes that death is real and appreciates the risks that soldiers take. It's not a very good reason to kill a character.

I always preferred Janet over Sam too! I like Sam, I just always liked Janet that little bit more.

Luce xxx

Comment

Originally posted by NightGloom
                                They said they wanted to prove that death was real and the risks that real soldiers take. I think everyone that watches the show realizes that death is real and appreciates the risks that soldiers take. It's not a very good reason to kill a character.
                                Yeah, what is this, Stargate or some adult form of Seseme Street? I don't need illustrations and reenactments to show me that death is real. Oh, because SG1, (particularly) Daniel have a habit of not knowing how to stay dead, my poor little brain has been confused as to what death is? Sorry, fella's, when I watched Superman, I didn't try to jump off my roof, because I knew it was fictional. And I was considerably younger and probably quite a bit more gulliable than I am now. Thanks for the lesson, but it was really unnecessary.

Comment

Working...
                                X