This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are things looking now?

First off, to the MOD's: This topic is kinda a repeat, since some of these topics have been discussed before -- but it's all together, and more about the new Wright interview. If you deem it so, then close this topic -- but I still think this is interesting.

(topic a)Second...do most of the people who are complaining about "Characters being too shallow" still feeling their initial fears? Meaning, do you think this is some teen sg-1?

(topic b)Third...do the people who felt that SGU is a "ship-based" series and will never or hardly use the Stargate, still feel this way? And to turn it upside down, do those (like me) who felt SGU was going to use the Stargate on a regular base change their minds, as well?

(topic c)Fourth...It has been asked before, but there is new light on this subject (surprise I'm the first to post on this...or am I? Let me check....ok couldn't find it)...do you guys think that SGU will use CGI for some of the alien worlds? Do you believe that SGU will have aliens, that DON'T speak English? And finally for this round...do you guys think SGU will have more than just tree worlds like Earth?

Oh oh! Here is the "new light": (no spoilers...well, maybe for SGU...)

Spoiler:
    AmmoMonkey writes: ““When I first read the press release for SGU, like many I was quite dubious about the content. Then of course I remembered my initial trepidation about SGA and now it’s my favourite TV show still on air. With SGU being set in the far reaches of the universe will we be visiting planets with truly alien species on them rather then the usual ancient-seeded-humans fare that we had in SGA? I do hope so.” Thank you for your time in answering this question.”

BW: Actually, you’re right. We are getting away from ancient-seeded-humans. Hopefully exploring the truly alien, and avoiding the rubber faced English-speaking one.
    and....

“6. Can we expect new shooting locations in Universe? Or will there be more CGI created world or maybe digital sets?”

BW: Yes, and yes. We’re scouting in the desert of New Mexico as I write this sentence.

(Joe's Blog)

(topic d)Finally, just what are your general thoughts on Stargate Universe, as we know of it so far? Has it changed since the first info came out, for better of for worse? You can kinda just tie up this last answer, if you will, because most of these questions deal with this topic...but this is broader. Was there a specific thing that brought you over to liking or disliking the basic premise of the show, from what we know now?

My thoughts are in the spoiler tags. Just to save room, and so you could write your response, and then read mine if you wish.

Spoiler:
    For topic a, I never really paid too much attention to the character outlines. I read them, and got the jist and defended them, however never thought any of it was final or what they really going to be.

For topic b...I feel that the gate will still be used, however I think this will be different than any previous Stargate shows we have had before. I think it will deal with the people on the ship, with a team exploring off-world...but will we actually see them every episode? Somehow I get the feeling the answer is no.

Topic c...I hope so guys, I hope so. However I see the advanced races having mind reading powers, so they can talk to us. But I really, really think this is a possibility. I mean, he pretty much said it, right?

Finally..topic d...I generally, truthfully, am stoked for SGU. I believe it's going to have some original plot lines, it's going to be fresh yet still the Stargate we all love. I mean, come on, it's not like these guys can just say..."OK, lets stop writing like we have for 20 years and start writing like Battlestar...they will have their humor and their sci-fi talk. That doesn't mean they can't change and evolve into something better and new, right?

So there you have it folks!

i think sg:u is going to be real good
    Originally posted by Blistna View Post
    Do you believe that SGU will have aliens, that DON'T speak English?
    they prob will speak english so we can understand them

Comment

(topic a)Second...do most of the people who are complaining about "Characters being too shallow" still feeling their initial fears? Meaning, do you think this is some teen sg-1?
      I can't understand how people know that they will be shallow. On a 3 or 4 line character discription with no plot details about the character. I think the casting of an actor like Robert Carlyle is the only evidence that they will not be shallow.
      (topic b)Third...do the people who felt that SGU is a "ship-based" series and will never or hardly use the Stargate, still feel this way? And to turn it upside down, do those (like me) who felt SGU was going to use the Stargate on a regular base change their minds, as well?
      Its a ship most likely a big ship. Its my understaning that the ship is on a set course that they can't stop so i don't think they will able to drive it to any planet they want to so the stargate or maybe puddle jumper like ships will be the only way to get down to any planet.
      (topic c)Fourth...It has been asked before, but there is new light on this subject (surprise I'm the first to post on this...or am I? Let me check....ok couldn't find it)...do you guys think that SGU will use CGI for some of the alien worlds? Do you believe that SGU will have aliens, that DON'T speak English? And finally for this round...do you guys think SGU will have more than just tree worlds like Earth?
      I hope they are more diffrent aliens in the show but even if it will be unbelievable i hope there will be some humans out there just for the opertunity for some great guest actor not in hevey make up or just their vocie if they are CGI aliens.
      (topic d)Finally, just what are your general thoughts on Stargate Universe, as we know of it so far? Has it changed since the first info came out, for better of for worse? You can kinda just tie up this last answer, if you will, because most of these questions deal with this topic...but this is broader. Was there a specific thing that brought you over to liking or disliking the basic premise of the show, from what we know now?

Like you i think that its good that they are trying to be a bit diffrent. I am excited overall even more so now with Robert Carlyle. I hope this will be as good as sg1 and atlantis but we will see.
      sigpic
      Leeds Rhinos - 1961, 1969, 1972, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2015 champions!
      Metal gear fan

Comment

I will happily admit when I first read things on Sg:U my opinion was more towards a negative.

However, I accept that my opinions can change the more I hear or see, and I am happy to have my opinions evolve over time - so now I am feeling more positive and optimistic.

It feels like the writers seem to of learnt from the mistakes I feel they made with Atlantis, and that this show could be promising - non-english speaking aliens, no damn forests or human settlements stuck in the medieval ages and aliens that look alien. I'd say thats all pretty positive stuff and should hopefully restore the sense of mystery and exploration which attracted me towards "Stargate" in the first place.

I'll happily give it a chance and ill keep an open mind.
        Go buy my music and give a starving artist some support. It's dirt-cheap, dammit.
        Ion Plasma Incineration (Hard and heavy electro-industrial music in the vein of late 90's classics, updated for the 21st century!)

Current project : Working on Tolathians Outpost Cyclopean, the world's first pure non-humanoid extra-dimensional sci-fi show! 100% no humans !

Comment

most likely, they can speak english from telepathy, attaching their suckers to your head, or from some sort of translator. but not all will speak english

Comment

I can't say either way...we haven't seen any episodes. Character bios tell us nothing.

I think it will be more gate based than Atlantis...simply because they need to get back to the ship before it leaves for it's next destination in time...gate travle makes more logical sense in that case because it's faster and safer than hoping you make it back in time in a craft.

I think CGI will be used a bit more on worlds than in the past. I don't think we will see non-english speaking aliens...as that was used a few times in the past and was not well-received by many. I DO think we are going to see much more alien-like worlds and less forest planets.

Oh oh! Here is the "new light": (no spoilers...well, maybe for SGU...)

Spoiler:

and....

(Joe's Blog)

So far i'm really interested and I like that they appear to be going towards a darker, less tech-babble route. Could prove to be very entertaining. Plus the fact that the group is far less experienced than we are used to seeing. which means the trial by error routine could make things a bit deeper in terms of character growth.
            It feels good to be alive.
            Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Well...so far so good! I'm glad we haven't seen any negative comments, however...please post them people if you are feeling worried! And keep it coming folks...

Comment

I would be really really really reallly surprised if Carlysle signed up for Gossip Girl in Space. In fact I would go as far as saying he would have had quite detailed plot and character discussions with TPTB and he obviously liked what he heard. From a bloke who has been involved in some of the most memorable films of the past 20yrs, I take this as a given that this show is going to be damn good!! Just try and remember the last BAD thing Carlysle was involved in?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                  I would be really really really reallly surprised if Carlysle signed up for Gossip Girl in Space. In fact I would go as far as saying he would have had quite detailed plot and character discussions with TPTB and he obviously liked what he heard. From a bloke who has been involved in some of the most memorable films of the past 20yrs, I take this as a given that this show is going to be damn good!! Just try and remember the last BAD thing Carlysle was involved in?
                  I've read all over the webs about the cover-ups and the shake downs instituted by those wanting the show to be successful, or having otherwise some form of invested interest in this ideological affair. And this 'affair' which here of late seems more lackluster than block-buster, seems to have more enemies than friends. But of course my opinion which has been posted though-out gateworld leans towards the negative, especially after Incursion 1&2 which I hated, and thus, on the back of this, I think it's time to sum up Stargate Universe as accurately as possible for all to understand the nuiances of my opinions.

SGU can be compared to a son of a father who due to lack-luster ill performing sperm, is unable to have a child, namely, such said son. Thus, after a long time of uncertainty and heart-ache, the father adopts a child with his wife/girlfriend and they love the boy who seems to be not only a man's man, but aspires to be a soldier, and eventually an astronaut. Alas, the boy lives with them for a time, but lo, agents of the true father of the boy who has searched for so long for him because of his crystal-meth using mother who lost the boy to authorities, thanks the parents and the true father has his son. But our father later is able to conceive with his wife after twenty years of trying. YEA! Alas on the boy's 13th birthday he feels sensual and admits to his father he wants to become a she-male, cue vomit, unless you're a secret two melons and a flopper fan . Father feels betrayed and wants a do-over, but after all this time, his wife is unable to have any more children and he knows it's this boy or nothing. Therefore, even though he doesn't approve of his son's thoughts and eventual actions, and often denies the boy is his, he has to eventually accept him because it's all he has left.

And that's what SGU is, all I HAVE LEFT. And having Robert Carlysle on board doesn't hurt either.

Edit: Gateworld needs to up their game and give out season 1.5 to people who begs enough and pleads enough for a free copy. In these tough times with the jobless rate going through the roof and due to Dan's contacts with syfy and MGM, we should be getting discounts (for those of us who has a job, which isn't me at the moment).
                  Last edited by Coremae; 01 August 2010, 05:14 PM.

Comment

that's a pretty vivid analogy
                    I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
                      that's a pretty vivid analogy

Comment

Scott and Chloe, they just aren't interesting at the moment and its annoying when the camera is on them because you can be sure nothing of relevance is happening - hopefully that will change. Young and Rush are great characters, cant give them enough praise.

I'd like to see more planet stories but I wouldn't say its as bad right now as people make out.

I wish the writers would just drop the idea of not having aliens who speak english, we all know it doesn't make sense but we moved beyond that decades ago - it really hampers storytelling in my opinion.

I like the basic premise it has a lot of potential for interesting stories but it also has some drawbacks, I like my sci-fi shows to be set against a backdrop of an interesting galaxy and that events are unfolding in the background - SGU is completely devoid of this and it only serves to limit the scope of your own imagination and as a result it doesn't keep me thinking about it at all. I'd like to see them pick up the pace in regards to the overall plot and add more players in universe events.

Comment

Like others have said: Chloe. Chloe really needs to get a specific role fast, at the moment shes just useless. Wray could be less annoying aswell. But to me Rush is a very interesting character and Young is becoming more interesting.

In any case this is nothing like a 'teen SG-1' and I find that comparison to be silly.

To me they need to use the gate more. What is the point in calling the series 'Stargate' when the 'Stargate' itself is hardly used. If they cut back on the stone time on Earth and replaced it with time on another planet I would be happy. I also would be more interested if they started exploring the ship itself and uncovering nice discoveries which is one thing I'm sad that Atlantis didn't do more.

(topic c)Fourth...It has been asked before, but there is new light on this subject (surprise I'm the first to post on this...or am I? Let me check....ok couldn't find it)...do you guys think that SGU will use CGI for some of the alien worlds? Do you believe that SGU will have aliens, that DON'T speak English? And finally for this round...do you guys think SGU will have more than just tree worlds like Earth?[/b]
                          They probably will use some CGI but from what I can tell the production team like travelling to various locations for shooting. SGU will also have more aliens, interviews made at Comic Con confirms that.

For speaking English we haven't actually came across any aliens yet in SGU that speak it. The fish aliens only transmitted words that they probed from Rush's mind but didn't actually speak the language themselves. But if we do come across aliens that they need to communicate with, it would be difficult if they didint speak English unless we finally come across Stargates own version of the universal translator.

I think that they early information for SGU was worded very poorly. They kept mentioning 'Younger Cast' which I took to be more like a teen cast, more of a kids show etc. I wasn't going to watch SGU until I seen the comic con trailer for Season 1.0.

In my opinion some mistakes were made in Season 1.0, some episodes were just slow and not entertaining enough such as 'Earth' & 'Life', those 2 episodes were the most "Soap Opera" like and the worst received episodes.

Some potential storyline's were also not explored enough: Rush being stranded, Chloe/Scott/Eli being stranded, The void etc. There were also times where too much was going on: In 1 or 2 episodes when aliens were attacking it was like "Oh by the way guys, sorry for interrupting but were being attacked by aliens". They need to have moregood entertaining plots without too much going on and have more unexpected outcomes. The way Eli/Chloe/Scott got back was one of the most obvious and disappointing outcomes in my opinion.

But to me SGU really picked up in Season 1.5 and was a lot better but I am worried if it is too late to recover ratings. In my opinion if enough people give SGU a second chance and if it keeps up its current pace then it will be a fab long lasting show.
                          Last edited by Tanith0709; 02 August 2010, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X