X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum Changes For 2009!

Hi all,

Here's a quicky run-down of some of the forum changes we're kicking off in 2009:
    • Community Vision Statement. This is the biggest change, since it reflects the fact that we are trying to change the overall tone of our online home. Thanks again to everyone who participated in the discussion.

• User Ranks. Instead of being "Jaffa Fodder" you've now joined the ranks of the U.S. Air Force as a "Second Lieutenant." Good job! Your user rank appears on all posts (and your profile) directly below your name, and is based on the number of posts you have made (excluding the Off-Topic folder).

• No Negative Reps. To the chagrin of some and rejoicing of others, we have chosen to disable the red reputation votes. Instead, we encourage you to use the Reputation system to give someone a pat on the back and a vote of confidence. (The Rep system is for fun, and doesn't affect your forum status or access to any features.)

• Bigger Avatars! You asked (begged, pleased, demanded, threatened), and we heard you. Bigger user avatars are coming just as soon as we get them uploaded.

• No Character Bashing, Please. We've added a new rule for the forum:
      Every main character and cast member has a devoted fan following, so it's not conducive to the atmosphere we want to foster to outright bash one of the show's main characters. You can criticize a character to your heart's content, but please keep it constructive and tactful, and avoid outright hate.

• New Moderators! We're still working on this one, but we're hoping to make some announcements soon.

• ... More to come? We're always open to your suggestions.

Enjoy 2009 at GateWorld!
    Last edited by Darren; 03 January 2009, 07:33 PM.
    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

No more red reps and bigger avatars? I think I love you.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
      No more red reps and bigger avatars? I think I love you.
      I think he is married

This sounds good. I'm especially interested in seeing how much bigger the avatars are. Any comment on having the rep status affect the Air Force too
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        I think he is married

This sounds good. I'm especially interested in seeing how much bigger the avatars are. Any comment on having the rep status affect the Air Force too
        LOL, well I am straight, just merry.

It is good that the red reps are gone, because people were abusing it.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by briangate78 View Post
          no more red reps and bigger avatars? I think i love you.
          Great news!!

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            Any comment on having the rep status affect the Air Force too
            Also done and done. I went with the suggested version that is Stargate Command specific.
            GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
            The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
            Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Thanks for the changes, Darren!

I'm only a Major but "Mala is in charge of Stargate Command!"
              sigpic

Comment

Looks good Darren!
                sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                  Hi all,

Here's a quicky run-down of some of the forum changes we're kicking off in 2009:
                  • Community Vision Statement. This is the biggest change, since it reflects the fact that we are trying to change the overall tone of our online home. Thanks again to everyone who participated in the discussion.

• User Ranks. Instead of being "Jaffa Fodder" you've now joined the ranks of the U.S. Air Force as a "Second Lieutenant." Good job! Your user rank appears on all posts (and your profile) directly below your name, and is based on the number of posts you have made (excluding the Off-Topic folder).

• No Negative Reps. To the chagrin of some and rejoicing of others, we have chosen to disable the red reputation votes. Instead, we encourage you to use the Reputation system to give someone a pat on the back and a vote of confidence. (The Rep system is for fun, and doesn't affect your forum status or access to any features.)

• Bigger Avatars! You asked (begged, pleased, demanded, threatened), and we heard you. Bigger user avatars are coming just as soon as we get them uploaded.

• No Character Bashing, Please. We've added a new rule for the forum:
                    Every main character and cast member has a devoted fan following, so it's not conducive to the atmosphere we want to foster to outright bash one of the show's main characters. You can criticize a character to your heart's content, but please keep it constructive and tactful, and avoid outright hate.

• New Moderators! We're still working on this one, but we're hoping to make some announcements soon.

• ... More to come? We're always open to your suggestions.

Enjoy 2009 at GateWorld!
                  No character bashing and bigger avatars? I think I'm gonna like these changes. Oh and here's a suggestion, more Sam avatars . And is it too much to ask for some Amanda and Helen avatars?
                  Last edited by Rocky89; 03 January 2009, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Great way to ring in the new year Darren. Hopefully Gateworld will once again be the fun place to come and play and talk about all things Stargate once again for me.
                    My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Not happy, will give it a try but I think GW and I are history. I am just not a happy shiny kind of person so yeah I feel I will no longer "fit" the GW vision.

Do I get a doggy bad for all those wasted years?

Comment

Thanks, Darren. Those sound like good and enjoyable changes!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                          Also done and done. I went with the suggested version that is Stargate Command specific.
                          Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo - please don't change those too

I like the other changes, but I am extremely saddened by the new ranks and even more so by the changes of the names for the rep-levels
                          sigpic
                          button and banner made by Luciana SAVE MARTOUF/LANTASH!

Comment

Yay Bigger Avatars. 100x100? *prays*

Still iffy on the character bashing, though I've always been one to offer discussion-prompts in the Anti-K thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
                              Yay Bigger Avatars. 100x100? *prays*

Still iffy on the character bashing, though I've always been one to offer discussion-prompts in the Anti-K thread.
                              Well, if we're using Keller as an example...saying she's too young would be o.k.. Saying that you don't think she does well under pressure or even that you thought she was too whiny would be o.k.. Saying that you just don't like anything about the character and would rather not have her be a part of the show would be o.k.. Saying that she's the "city bike" or otherwise infering that she's a prostitute would not be o.k.. Referring to any character as a whore or a prostitute unless they are, in fact, a prostitute (i.e. exchanging sexual favors in return for money and/or goods) is going to be a no-no.

There's been a level of hatred being spewed lately that's, quite frankly, disturbing. You can not like a character all you want. Criticize away. When it gets to making up sick ways for them to die or finding horribly derogatory names for them...well it gets to be a bit much.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Working...
                              X