This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Risk, SG1 could lose a leg.

As we all know, if matters travels through the gate, it will rematerialize on the other side exactly the same as it went in : same speed, same angle, same form.

But, what happens if :
    - The gate they travel back from is horizontally placed ? (f.i. the harvester gate in 2001)
    - The gate they travel back from is rotated ? (not happened, but could always be)
    - They gate they travel back from is not on a pedestal but fully uncovered.

In all three cases, it would be extremely hard for the SG teams to correctfully asses were the Earth ramp is. If they wouldn't jump high into a fully uncovered gate, logically, they'd be risking having their legs rematerialize inside the iron ramp on Earth... let alone risking decapitation when jumping into a horizontal gate (as Carter did in 2001)

Makes you wonder, doesn't ... the ramp is freaking dangerous !

Originally posted by XToDaZ
    As we all know, if matters travels through the gate, it will rematerialize on the other side exactly the same as it went in : same speed, same angle, same form.
    yes, but not in the exact same place. A stargate can only rematerialise matter (1969 plot hole aside!) within the round circle of the stargate itself. So if you enter a Stargate that is set lower than the one you're walking out of, you don't materialise below the Stargate circle, you still materialise within it.

There isn't any situation where the guys could walk in to a stargate at one end, and come out of the stargate at the SGC with the ramp at, say, knee height.
    sigpic

Comment

Thats what MALPs are for.

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy
        yes, but not in the exact same place. A stargate can only rematerialise matter (1969 plot hole aside!).
        What plothole is that?
        May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

if the gate was horizontally placed you would fall back into the stargate and die... (..presumably.. i think it happened to the MALP in 100 days)
          sigpic
          http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
          http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman
            What plothole is that?
            SG-1 stepped through the gate in the modern (1999?) gate room and appear in the gate room in 1969 but there was no gate there. Well, it was there for a few seconds and then it dissappear. In 1969 the place was a missile engine test facility and they were about to get toasted. So the plot hole is, they did not rematerialize at another gate. In 1969, the gate is locked up in a warehouse somewhere in NY.

Comment

Originally posted by shipper hannah
              if the gate was horizontally placed you would fall back into the stargate and die... (..presumably.. i think it happened to the MALP in 100 days)
              Depends on which side is up ofcourse Remember the Aschen harvester gates, or the Area 51 gate ? Horizontal idd
              If they'd have another gate flipped around, no biggy

Comment

Originally posted by XToDaZ
                Depends on which side is up ofcourse Remember the Aschen harvester gates, or the Area 51 gate ? Horizontal idd
                If they'd have another gate flipped around, no biggy
                that reminds me, i remember the episode where the NID agents jump into the gate that was laying on the floor and they were ambushed by the SG-1. i wonder how they ended up on the other side considering they all jump in feet first.

that must have hurt coming out from the other side, if it were vertical.

ouch!

Comment

As far as the rotation of the gate is concerned (for example, walking into a stargate and coming out of a stargate that is rotated 180 degrees from the other) there really is no cannon to state what should happen. My theory is, the gate rematerializes objects relative to the gravitational pull on the gate. Therefore, whatever orientation an object entered the gate relative to gravity, it will rematerialize at the other gate with that same orientation relative to gravity.

Since I believe the gates can only work near a gravitational body to begin with (either on the surface of a planet, on a ship near a planet, or in orbit of a planet) I use this theory. It's porbably wrong and I'm sure there are instatnces where it falls apart but it helps me sleep at night.

Comment

Working...
                  X