Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a point in there somewhere? I never criticised BSG for lack of realism, I criticised it for weak writing. You can't foreshadow the existence of a god with nothing more than religion, there was really nothing in the show that should convince the viewer that there was a deity at work, characters were preaching, but that happens in real life, and in Stargate too.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
      Is there a point in there somewhere? I never criticised BSG for lack of realism, I criticised it for weak writing. You can't foreshadow the existence of a god with nothing more than religion, there was really nothing in the show that should convince the viewer that there was a deity at work, characters were preaching, but that happens in real life, and in Stargate too.
      Wow... thats just a ridiculous statement, I wonder sometimes if your watching the same shows I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
        Wow... thats just a ridiculous statement, I wonder sometimes if your watching the same shows I am.
        If it's ridiculous then refute it. There was a lot of mystery set up, but I (and a massive section of the viewers if the reaction was anything to go by) expected something a little cleverer than magic from the final resolution of this supposedly ground breaking sci-fi show.

Comment

If it's ridiculous then refute it. There was a lot of mystery set up, but I (and a massive section of the viewers if the reaction was anything to go by) expected something a little cleverer than magic from the final resolution of this supposedly ground breaking sci-fi show.
          Well I'm not speaking to the quality of the ending and I agree it was somewhat frustrating the way it turned out but the indication that god exists in the BSG universe is clear.

I would love for them to explain every detail but it just wasn't in the scope of the story they were telling and there is something very powerful in storytelling about leaving some room for the audience to use their own imagination.

Comment

My reply was taking something you said in an earlier post into account.

Anyone can resolve a mystery using magic, it takes no thought what so ever.
            What is the difference between magic and the fantastic, godlike powers of science fiction beings like Star Trek's Q and SG Ascended Ancients/Ori,? The only one I can see is that in a fantasy story magic is attributed to gods and magicians while in science fiction, the same things are usually attributed to 'advanced aliens'.

I thought there were a number of very strong suggestions about 'life after death' throughout BSG. This led me to suspect that there really was a God in this fictional universe so I didn't throw up my hands in horror when it was revealed that 'God did it' at the end.
            Last edited by ciannwn; 26 July 2010, 06:42 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

Two words to end any debate about God in Sci Fi:

Quantum Leap

Plus yes, I never watched the new BSG but even I know the end of it got intensely religious, and heavily suggested that some of the characters were angels.

Lost is also classified as sci-fi and that has heavy themes of religiosity, again from what I've heard, never watched it.

Lastly, during the Ori arc, SG1 made a point (I think it was by Landry) of saying that just because they've gotten into the habit of deposing false gods, even ones powerful enough to possibly deserve the title, that doesnt mean there's not a real God out there far above even the ascended realms - so its not like SG is ignoring theology.

But yes, I think in the case of SGU it would be a total copout to have a literal Deus ex machina be the resolution of the plot. From a storytelling perspective, when the answer is "God did it", the point you're actually trying to make is usually some overlying truth about mankind and the nature of our existence at large, and I dont really see SGU getting that esoteric and philosophical...if anything, its tending more towards microcosms and personal revelations/salvations than those for all of mankind.
              Last edited by droid327; 26 July 2010, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X