• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attention anyone with a 30G ZUNE!!!

your zune may be dead.....
    http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2008/...softs-30g.html
    Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
    sigpic

I read this on slashdot and digg.......this is absolutely hilarious.......so I plan to buy either a ipod touch or a sony touch

Comment

i don't have one, but my uncle does, and he's ANGRY!!!
      Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
      sigpic

Comment

Hahaha! I'm sorry, but that's hilarious!

I'm sorry...

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
        The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

CURSE YOU LEAP SECOND!

(Not really, I bought an iPod and it hasn't had any problems. *knock wood*)

Comment

I read a few articles on this already, but I'm still a little confused on what could cause this?

Was it just the date changing to 09? that seems a little silly to be honest.

Comment

Macworld thinks that it's caused by the addition of a "leap second". Every few years, due to rotational irregularities of the Earth, a second needs to be added or removed.

The way I understand it, in my local time, there was 5:59:59 pm and 5:59:60 pm today whereas the time normally changes from 5:59:59 to 6:00:00. The :60 one was caused by the addition of the leap second.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_second

What most likely happened was that there was a conflict in the Zune's firmware relating to how the leap second was implemented and it caused a "catastrophic" failure.

One interesting thing that I've read is that if you open your Zune and disconnect and then reconnect the battery, the problem goes away. Of course, this most likely voids any warranty on the device. Something else that I read said that it could be impossible, in their opinion, to push an update that would easily fix the problem since the thing can't boot to install the update.

Edit:
              Microsoft has issued its official statement and an FAQ on the Zune.net forums. After "the technical team jumped on the problem immediately," there appears to be a bug in the 30GB Zune's internal clock driver related to the way the device handles a leap year. Microsoft recommends allowing affected Zunes to run down their batteries, and come noon, GMT on January 1, 2009, it will be safe to plug in, restart, and once again rock out with the Zune.
              via Ars Technica | 30GB Zune apocalypse arrives as devices enter digital coma (Updated 3x, now with more explanation)
              Last edited by Jeffala; 01 January 2009, 12:28 AM.

Comment

hugs mp3 player

i would never trust Microsoft to play my music

Comment

has this problem influenced anyone to buy iPod instead of Zune?

Comment

Working...
                  X