• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Next Doctor (2008)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 30
    THE NEXT DOCTOR
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3014 (414)

In Victorian England the Doctor is stunned to encounter a man who claims to be "the Doctor" -- perhaps a future incarnation of himself -- who is fighting against an invasion of Cybermen.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:11 PM.

Eh?? I thought we'd already amalgamated the unofficial thread with this one

Comment

it had to get de-amalgamated because of the timings.

sorry...
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger View Post
        it had to get de-amalgamated because of the timings.

sorry...
        Huh??

Comment

when you merge an old thread with a new one the posts rearrange by date.
          The "title" post for this (the official) ep thread is dated AFTER the first post from the "Unofficial" thread, so we would end up with all the others posts before the "header" post...

er, does that make sense?!

*cough* so, does this mean David Morrissey can never be the 11th Dr, or is it all a cunning plot....??

Comment

It could be a cunning plot - I'm faintly disappointed because I think he'd be a great doctor. Although I've had my fingers crossed for Kenneth Brannagh for a while now. They seem to be going for Ac-tors these days, and he's definitely one of those.

I liked Rosalita as a companion too - I wouldn't mind seeing her again.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigater View Post
              when you merge an old thread with a new one the posts rearrange by date.
              The "title" post for this (the official) ep thread is dated AFTER the first post from the "Unofficial" thread, so we would end up with all the others posts before the "header" post...

er, does that make sense?!

*cough* so, does this mean David Morrissey can never be the 11th Dr, or is it all a cunning plot....??
              nope

So the threads can't be merged?

Comment

personally, i'm not that pleased. i found david morrissey was not at his best in this, especially in the emotional bits. david tennant was good, but it felt like a lot of this was riding square on his shoulders. rosita was nice, but i wish we could have seen more of her to get more of a feel for her.

within the DW logic, i totally get cybermen walking around in that area, but the giant cyber robot was too far imo. in a lot of this stuff in DW and TW had been with a bit of believability as in "average" people could go on not really, 100% knowing what was going on. this broke that for me

the only thing i really liked was the Doctor going to dinner.
                "victimsofninjasayidsaywhat?"
                "what?"
                *throat punch*
                My blog: kathysnumber1blog.blogspot.com
                LVI now open to all fandoms!!! http://lostvideo.net/

Comment

I personally enjoyed The Next Doctor A bit campy but I felt it was well paced much more interesting than I thought it was going to be.
                  "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

Comment

Not my favorite Doctor Who episode. I was honestly mostly intrigued by who this other doctor was, but I very much doubted he was, in fact, the next Doctor, as I didn't think it would be fair to Steven Moffat for Russell T. Davies to be casting the next Doctor for him. Once that mystery was solved, I admittedly lost interest in the episode; there wasn't enough of a hook to grab me in. All that said, the fact that it was a lackluster episode was made up by the fact that we got to see all the previous doctors on screen... I loved that part, but really, only that part.
                    Rocky

Comment

I liked it well enough. It was a fun, frivolous bit of holiday cheer with a joker in the deck and a bad-ass steampunky Giant Robot of Doom ready to destroy the city. I'm a sucker for Giant Robots of Doom. Must be the supervillainess in me.

I knew something was off about the "Doctor" and I kinda had a guess that he was either a shyster or a "legitimate" impostor of some sort. I thought the story worked out well. The family thing was a little lame, IMO, but not unexpected and it was in keeping with the spirit of things.

It was nice to see the Doctor working with a male Companion for a change and I hope we can see some more of that in the future. I think DM did a brilliant job and it's always nice to see a different take on the role of the Doctor. Loved his TARDIS. LOL!

Still not thrilled with the Cybermen themselves and the explanation for their presence seemed a bit whiffy but it's hardly the first time TPTB have pulled a stunt like this and I doubt it'll be the last and I can roll with the punches. Particularly if there's a GROD involved.

Comment

I am generally not a fan of the specials as they never really add much to the verse or to my understanding of The Doctor. Even this one, while trying to tell us something about what makes him who he is, really just went down roads we have been down before.

I did love the montage of the Who Doctors.

Hmm, I am not sure if the lack of Cybermen actually talking (being actively involved) made this better or worse?

I am not a huge fan of them now, all that delete rubbish is just so silly, well it was when they first appeared in Rise of the Cybermen it just gets sillier now.

Yeah I know they were in Classic Who but they were not the same, they were cheesier, scarier and they actually held a conversation with The Doctor. Their words were always far more scarier then their actions IMHO.

These guys just go delete and stomp around like morons! They were never meant to be "just" robots! Hell even RTD admits that much, so why he came back with these guys who act just like robots?! Buggered if I know!

Look, give me a guy in spandex *g* painted silver with huge amounts of insane dialogue and that is much scarier! I say bring back the spandex!

The gal from Ballykiss was cool as the villainess, I loved the red dress in the graveyard.

I have no idea what is up with a King-Cybermen... wtf? Was that in Classic Who? I missed it? Seriously, what story?

David Morrissey was great as the guy who will never be The Doctor, he was fun! I am glad he wasn't really The Doctor, there are so many reasons why that wouldn't have worked.

David Tennant was brilliant as always. I will truly miss him when he packs it in.

So this was definitely a Christmas Special.

Comment

I fell asleep half way through. I'm going to try and catch the repeat, in the hope that it was my vile feverish cold that was to blame rather than the standard of the script.

Madeleine

Comment

unfortunately it was not the best of the christmas specials.

But I can't remember the Donna one because I had flu (the real thing rather than a bad cold)
                            but even so I think this wasn't that good

however the parts that were good - were very good. The graveyard bit, the part where Mizz-red-dress realised what she'd done and the other Doctor's "TARDIS"
                            apart from that - nothing truly special. We rewatched last year's and it is waaaay better.

sigpic

Comment

It wasn't the best ever,

I loved David Morrisey
                              I want Rosita to be a companion
                              Mr Cyber-Stay-Puft rising out of the Thames and stomping all over London, pur-lease, I did actually find myself saying "Who ya gonna call? THE DOCTOR!!" at one point.

apart from that it was a little, meh

Comment

Working...
                              X